7Sage Advice

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
namhoa

New

7Sage Advice

Postby namhoa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm currently working full-time and planning to take the LSAT in June of 2017. I haven't started studying yet but plan to use 7Sage and am wondering if anyone has advice regarding how much time to dedicate to studying. I was thinking of signing up for the Premium course and studying for 6 months starting in December. Is 6 months (while working full-time) enough time to prepare with 7Sage? Too much time? Any input is appreciated.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: 7Sage Advice

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:30 pm

I've been prepping since January, so no, 6 months if NOT too much unless you're scoring 170+ already on PTs without studying.

7sage is great. Have you taken a diagnostic test yet to see where you're at? Start studying now if you want since you work full-time.

What is your goal score?

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:57 pm

namhoa wrote:I'm currently working full-time and planning to take the LSAT in June of 2017. I haven't started studying yet but plan to use 7Sage and am wondering if anyone has advice regarding how much time to dedicate to studying. I was thinking of signing up for the Premium course and studying for 6 months starting in December. Is 6 months (while working full-time) enough time to prepare with 7Sage? Too much time? Any input is appreciated.

Like what Mikey said, what are your diagnostic and target scores?

Most of what I have read varies quite a bit as to how many hours per week to study. I found this http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-prep-work-school.html to be helpful.

I would look at how many hours a day you could study on a typical day. When my schedule is stable, I have right about an 8-4:30 (when I leave for work, when I get home from work) schedule with a 2hr lunch. So, I wake up around 5:30, get 90-110mins in before work, typically get 45-60mins in during lunch, and then another 2-3hrs after work. My schedule isn't always this stable, though, so planning on having three study sessions a day helps me make up for the days where the lunch and/or evening sessions do not happen.

I started studying in May for the February test with the knowledge that I would probably have some hiccups in my studying, burn out, and would take a while to figure out what works for me. This far in, I had one block where I missed around a month and ended up taking two weeks off (earlier this month) to finish finals while touring. I also know that finals in December will probably result in taking at least drastically reducing the time I can spend on LSAT, if not cut a week from my available study time. If your work schedule can vary, I would allow extra time as a precaution.

I don't know if it is possible to have too much time to study. I could see not being able to stay focused for an extended period of time though.

As far as 7sage goes, I wish I would have jumped for it earlier. If you would like to get a taste before jumping in, do the free trial. From what I understand, the higher level packages give you access to more problem sets, additional PT videos, and extended access. I started with the free trial and then jumped to the Ultimate package...and will be upgrading to the Ultimate + within 2-3 weeks. I'm on a study break as I write this post.

namhoa

New

Postby namhoa » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the advice. I haven't taken a diagnostic yet, but the goal is 170+. I realize this is pretty hard to determine without a diagnostic score. I'll plan on starting sooner than later.

I took a look at the 7Sage study schedule, and, assuming I start in a couple weeks, it suggests about 13 hours of studying per week with the premium course. This is also means spreading out the prep tests and taking only one test per week on average (24 total PTs). If I plan to study for about 7 months, how many PTs should I plan on taking. Is 24 nowhere near enough?

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:59 pm

namhoa wrote:Thanks for the advice. I haven't taken a diagnostic yet, but the goal is 170+. I realize this is pretty hard to determine without a diagnostic score. I'll plan on starting sooner than later.

I took a look at the 7Sage study schedule, and, assuming I start in a couple weeks, it suggests about 13 hours of studying per week with the premium course. This is also means spreading out the prep tests and taking only one test per week on average (24 total PTs). If I plan to study for about 7 months, how many PTs should I plan on taking. Is 24 nowhere near enough?

I'd shoot to take all available. I have completed about 15 so far. My next test day is Saturday. It will be the second test I have completed since starting to use 7sage.

Use 19-35 or 36 for drilling sets/extra sections to simulate the 5 section test on test day, take 36 through the most recent available under testing conditions with the suggestion of making copies of the LG sections of all of those tests to use for drilling after you have completed them as an practice test (make the copies before taking the test). I have PT's 19-78. If they release #79 (Sept 2016) before I sit for my first LSAT, I will buy and complete it as well. One test per week seems to be a good number, especially with how far out you are. I'm planning on taking 3-4 tests per week once I finish the 7sage curriculum mixed with drilling whatever sections gave me the most trouble, at this point that means LG and RC. However, I am four months out. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better response.

And the edit: you can buy most of the PT's in ten packs via Amazon.

For what it is worth, I'm not an LSAT or 7sage master by any stretch. My diagnostic was a 150 and highest PT so far was a 162. I've learned that whenever I take time off from studying (for longer than two weeks), my score drops since I lose the attention to detail needed for the test. My goal range for the bulk of my target schools is a 162-164 (Chicago area schools that aren't NW or UofC). I would need at least a 172 to get into my reach school (Northwestern). As long as work allows it, I plan on taking all three attempts to see if I can achieve that 172 on test day.

You can get the June 2007 LSAT (and answer sheet) for free in PDF form via the LSAC website. Be sure to print it off.

Since starting 7sage, at least when I am doing drill sets, I am missing fewer questions than before. I have messed up on 4/5 difficulty parallel method of reasoning questions and RC passages, but haven't missed many, if any that are 3/5 or lower difficulty (of LR or RC questions). Prior to this, it was a crap shoot. I know I have said it many times, probably already in this thread, but I like the combination of video lessons, text to go along with the videos, and problem walk through videos.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:46 am

Post removed...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�