Take in December or Apply in November?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CaptCarpe

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby CaptCarpe » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi, Everyone -
Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I'm looking for some advice regarding whether it makes more sense to retake the LSAT in December and or to get the applications completed sooner.

Here are some details:
- Planning to blanket the T-14 with applications (probably excluding Yale based on numbers)
- LSAC GPA: 3.98 (public university, economics)
- LSAT (June) was 170, LSAT (September) was 167
- I was prepping in the mid/low 170s, so both scores - despite being strong, I realize - were a bit disappointing just in comparison to how I was prepping
- Non-KJD; graduated a few years ago and worked at a consulting firm (tier below MBB) and now am at a more specialized firm
- Non-URM

I've looked at numbers on mylsn.info and think I'm reading it correctly in that I would be competitive at most of the T-14, but I want to make sure I position myself as strongly as possible but know that retaking would push back the advised application timeline.

Thanks in advance, everyone. In lurking over the last few months, I've enjoyed reading everyone's advice.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I think the most important question is: Do you have enough time in a month for LSAT prep to improve upon a 170 to make it worthwhile? Its only a month away and I personally decided to sit out this cycle because after September, with my schedule, I realized it wasn't feasible to put in the amount of prep time. You don't want to waste your third take because you rushed it. If anything and you are set on applying this cycle, apply and see what happens, if it doesnt workout the way you want it to you can set up a timeline for your third take in June or Sept in order to maximize your score potential

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Why not both? Submit now with strong numbers but still retake for a shot at HYSC and more scholly money.

CaptCarpe

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby CaptCarpe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:12 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:I think the most important question is: Do you have enough time in a month for LSAT prep to improve upon a 170 to make it worthwhile? Its only a month away and I personally decided to sit out this cycle because after September, with my schedule, I realized it wasn't feasible to put in the amount of prep time. You don't want to waste your third take because you rushed it. If anything and you are set on applying this cycle, apply and see what happens, if it doesnt workout the way you want it to you can set up a timeline for your third take in June or Sept in order to maximize your score potential


Thanks for the advice. I think I could make it a bit better just based on what I was prepping, but to move from a 170 to a 180 probably isn't likely. I'd think that 170 to 172/173 is more doable. If I apply this cycle and end up reapplying next cycle, that ends up that a new PS and lORs are required, right?

Rigo wrote:Why not both? Submit now with strong numbers but still retake for a shot at HYSC and more scholly money.


Thanks. If I submit now, though, how would an updated score potentially after decisions are made impact? Would schools reevaluate based on an updated score, or should I indicate that a new one is coming and then they'd hold up evaluating?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:15 pm

CaptCarpe wrote:
Rigo wrote:Why not both? Submit now with strong numbers but still retake for a shot at HYSC and more scholly money.

Thanks. If I submit now, though, how would an updated score potentially after decisions are made impact? Would schools reevaluate based on an updated score, or should I indicate that a new one is coming and then they'd hold up evaluating?

If you're borderline then they'll hold any decision until your next score comes in.
They'll see through LSAC that you're signed up for a future test but if you want to be extra precautious you can send them an email and let them know also.

Voyager

Silver
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Take in December or Apply in November?

Postby Voyager » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:40 pm

Submit the 170! Odds of you improving are slim based on your track record.

170 is a good score.

Also: there are just 5 weeks until the next exam, right? Not much time to improve.

Apply and be done with it.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests