PTing 170s, poorly scoring on LSAT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SolRs

New

PTing 170s, poorly scoring on LSAT

Postby SolRs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Anyone else having issues with performance on test day? I consistently PT high 160s up to 176. Obviously it was a huge shock when I got 160 (June) and 161 (Sept) on the actual exams. I thought the 160 was a fluke because I had a nervous breakdown before it. So, I signed up again. I took the Sept 2016 exam abroad and perhaps didn't give myself enough time to stay in practice before but I thought I had done a lot better (no nervous breakdown), and was shocked when I saw the 161. Because it is undisclosed I can't even see if it was a bubbling error, or how many I got wrong on each section. Frustrating.

I signed up for the Dec 2016 exam, but already submitted applications at a few schools. I'm a reverse splitter with a GPA of 3.89 from a top 30 school. I'm not going for T14 because I'm not interested in BigLaw and will likely be moving out West to practice.

Anyone experience something similar in performing well below expected on exams (twice?!). I'd like to know if anyone took it a 3rd time and did better, and how they approached retaking. I feel like I have a great grasp on the material.... maybe I just put a lot of pressure on myself on "game day"?

Thanks, all!
Last edited by SolRs on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

trqdor

New

Re: PTing 170s, poorly scoring on LSAT

Postby trqdor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:16 am

definitely not flukes. it happened to me. 3 times.i have the stats and notes that show pretty consistent high 160s/170 and even some really top notch scores here and there on practice exams. but i performed in the low 160s three times. in fact, while studying i never hit as low as i did on the three actual tests. i really cant explain it, so i know how you feel. i am now out of retakes until june 2017 lol. i guess you have to take my word for it that i tried really hard and approached each test pretty seriously.

so i can't address your question about how to approach it the third time around, but i can say with some level of certainty based on personal anecdotal evidence that it wasn't just a fluke. there is some legitimate reason you are not hitting your numbers.

now if i could go back 3-5 months, i would enroll in a class or get some professional tutoring. i covered every single base except for that one because i didnt think i needed it/felt like i had a good grasp of the test. im not saying its guaranteed to work. im just saying thats the one thing i didnt do when i was in your shoes.

i think what it comes down to is that i'm not as talented as some self-studiers are at this test. and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I just wish i recognized it earlier and sought professional help when i had the chance.

ws120

New

Postby ws120 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:50 am

I had a very similar experience. PTing in Oct 2015 around 172, scored a 167. Took again in June 2016 and had a complete breakdown during the exam and cancelled. Took the Sept 2016 and scored a 177.

Read the book "Performing Under Pressure" by Weisenger. You have to take these practice exams a) simulated to the nth degree and b) using the mindset (or similar) described in that book. The LSAT is a pressure cooker, but you can't let it a) become a bigger deal in your head than what it really is and b) lead you to believe you can control the final outcome. Easier said than done, but the only thing you can actually control is your mind.

SolRs

New

Postby SolRs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:03 am

ws120 wrote:I had a very similar experience. PTing in Oct 2015 around 172, scored a 167. Took again in June 2016 and had a complete breakdown during the exam and cancelled. Took the Sept 2016 and scored a 177.

Read the book "Performing Under Pressure" by Weisenger. You have to take these practice exams a) simulated to the nth degree and b) using the mindset (or similar) described in that book. The LSAT is a pressure cooker, but you can't let it a) become a bigger deal in your head than what it really is and b) lead you to believe you can control the final outcome. Easier said than done, but the only thing you can actually control is your mind.

I'll have to look into that book, because I agree that the "pressure", and really the "self induced pressure" is likely the base of it all. Thanks for the recommendation!

SolRs

New

Postby SolRs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:06 am

trqdor wrote:definitely not flukes. it happened to me. 3 times.i have the stats and notes that show pretty consistent high 160s/170 and even some really top notch scores here and there on practice exams. but i performed in the low 160s three times. in fact, while studying i never hit as low as i did on the three actual tests. i really cant explain it, so i know how you feel. i am now out of retakes until june 2017 lol. i guess you have to take my word for it that i tried really hard and approached each test pretty seriously.

so i can't address your question about how to approach it the third time around, but i can say with some level of certainty based on personal anecdotal evidence that it wasn't just a fluke. there is some legitimate reason you are not hitting your numbers.

now if i could go back 3-5 months, i would enroll in a class or get some professional tutoring. i covered every single base except for that one because i didnt think i needed it/felt like i had a good grasp of the test. "m not saying its guaranteed to work. im just saying thats the one thing i didnt do when i was in your shoes.

i think what it comes down to is that i'm not as talented as some self-studiers are at this test. and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I just wish i recognized it earlier and sought professional help when i had the chance.

Like the person below hinted, I think a lot of it has to do with pressure we put on ourselves. I follow 7sage lessons but haven't bought a program. I'm thinking about it, but at this point I feel like I don't have the time before the Dec 2016 exam anyways. It felt strange to sign up before when I was PTing so well! Goes to show I could have been overly confident. Are you not applying for fall 2017 admissions?

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Could also be that your PTs are not being conducted in a fashion that replicates the test conditions.

To be more blunt: perhaps you are cheating on time, reusing exams, etc.

As others have also said: expect to score 5 points less than your practice exams anyway.

SolRs

New

Postby SolRs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:09 am

Voyager wrote:Could also be that your PTs are not being conducted in a fashion that replicates the test conditions.

To be more blunt: perhaps you are cheating on time, reusing exams, etc.

As others have also said: expect to score 5 points less than your practice exams anyway.

I definitely don't allocate more time, but I do take more breaks while practicing. I'm going to have to make a point to NOT do that up until December. And I need to go to more distracting/public places.

Thanks for the input!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�