Tips for improving time

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
aspiringlawyer01

New

Tips for improving time

Postby aspiringlawyer01 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:27 pm

I've been doing Preptests and I find that although I get over 90% of the questions that I answer right. I have 11 questions on the Logic games section and a couple questions on teach of the logic games sections and 10 questions on the reading comprehension section that I simply couldn't finish within 35 mins.

Does anyone have any tips on how to become faster? Perhaps I should skip some questions right away if they are too difficult or perhaps I should assign a certain amount of time per question and skip it if I can't come up with an answer.

This is my 3rd Preptest.

SixSigma

New

Re: Tips for improving time

Postby SixSigma » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 am

You can play the skip game, and that's definitely a strategy used by some excellent test takers.

I had similar experiences, but started getting better numbers. I took more tests. I thought about the mistakes that I made, and read different solutions for each one. I took some more tests. I've started studying question types and learning how to identify and solve those types. I've got more tests on order from Amazon.

I hear the LSAT is a highly learnable test, and that the outcome is the only factor I can control that will effect the rest of my future at this time.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 am

aspiringlawyer01 wrote:I've been doing Preptests and I find that although I get over 90% of the questions that I answer right. I have 11 questions on the Logic games section and a couple questions on teach of the logic games sections and 10 questions on the reading comprehension section that I simply couldn't finish within 35 mins.

Does anyone have any tips on how to become faster? Perhaps I should skip some questions right away if they are too difficult or perhaps I should assign a certain amount of time per question and skip it if I can't come up with an answer.

This is my 3rd Preptest.

If you've only done two PTs, presumably you're not writing Dec? (If so, different answers apply). So you have time, and over 70 tests left. You'll likely find your speed improves dramatically with practice. At this point, I'd say what you want to do is untimed sections to be become familiar with the subject matter. Make sure you can do the games, and find the logic in LR and RC.

Go back over the two you've done, do them untimed, and note every question you're uncertain about. Mark it. Then, every question you got wrong, and every question you got right but weren't sure about, write out for every answer choice ABCDE why one is right, and four are wrong. This will help you with the processes and thoughts necessary.

When you're doing sections reliably well, re-introduce the time factor, to work on speed. A common target is to do the first 10 Qs in 10 minutes on LR, to leave 25 mins for remaining 14 questions. Games will have individual time limits depending on difficulty, but on average you need to get them down to just under 9 minutes each.

If you're aiming for Dec, then - frankly, postpone, if you've only done two PTs, you're not going to perform to your best with only a month to prepare. If you feel you have to do it, then just hit the sections, and do as many as you can, hoping speed comes with practice.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

aspiringlawyer01 wrote:I've been doing Preptests and I find that although I get over 90% of the questions that I answer right. I have 11 questions on the Logic games section and a couple questions on teach of the logic games sections and 10 questions on the reading comprehension section that I simply couldn't finish within 35 mins.

This is my 3rd Preptest.

You've only done 3 preptests, so it's probably a bit early to get too concerned with timing. Have you learned all the material on the test yet? Mastering each question type and drilling the sections to the point where you're comfortable with the test is the first step. After you've put in the work to improve your accuracy, you can start thinking about timing. It's often counterproductive to try and work on both accuracy and speed at the same time, so I'd advise against trying to improve your speed before you've mastered the strategies for each section.

Once you do get to timing, I'd advise skipping questions that stump you and coming back to them. It's important to stay flexible on the test in order to maintain a good rhythm and a low stress level. Another strategy is to work through the early LR questions faster than the later ones, since those sections are typically organized in order of ascending difficulty. That's why a lot of students aim to have the first 10 questions completed by the first 10 minutes, so that they'll have over a minute for each question after that point. Again, I wouldn't advise trying to do this until you've already done plenty of untimed prep, however.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

I started out averaging 20-25 questions that I didn't have time to get to, now I almost always complete every question. As you get more familiar with the questions and how to approach them, it will in turn increase your speed. Just takes time. Also not sure why, but - and I swear I'm not trying to advertise here - the mastermind watch really helped with my pacing, especially in AR and RC. I think having the 8:45 sections color coded helped psychologically some how.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 pm

As stated above: best road to speed is drilling sections and problems and conducting detailed after actions, not taking practice tests. BluePrintMinthun's post above is (as usual) the right answer.

Another thought: get very good at ruling out answers. That is a key skill to pick up. BUt even that is learned through section and problem drilling and after actions...

EDIT: One additional thought off of Mithun's post... back in the day the LR section had 4, 2page spreads organized by difficulty like this:
-1st two page spread: easy
-2nd two page spread: more difficult
-3rd two page spread: MOST difficult
-4th two page spread: mirrors 2nd

I actually answered the questions by skipping that 3rd section and saving it for last helped with time management and ensured I did all of the easier ones first so I could bank a ton of time on the remaining 6 or so super hard ones. But my experience is 10 years old so not sure if things have changed...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�