Addendum for Lsat Score Increase?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSATer123

New

Addendum for Lsat Score Increase?

Postby LSATer123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm

My LSAT score increased 12 points from the December 2015 test and the September 2016 test. Should I include an addendum to explain the score increase?

ronanOgara

Gold

Re: Addendum for Lsat Score Increase?

Postby ronanOgara » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 pm

LSATer123 wrote:My LSAT score increased 12 points from the December 2015 test and the September 2016 test. Should I include an addendum to explain the score increase?

What's your explanation?

LSATer123

New

Postby LSATer123 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
LSATer123 wrote:My LSAT score increased 12 points from the December 2015 test and the September 2016 test. Should I include an addendum to explain the score increase?

What's your explanation?

No good explanation, I just put more time into studying the second time.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

no

ronanOgara

Gold

Postby ronanOgara » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:52 pm

LSATer123 wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:

What's your explanation?

No good explanation, I just put more time into studying the second time.

Yeahhh...don't do an addendum then. That's not gonna look good.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:54 pm

I wouldn't.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 pm

I anticipate a similarly large increase. Would it be worth writing an addendum explaining the discrepancies in scores because the following reasons in combination did not allow me to best prepare and perform:

All occurred in a short period and close to my first test date:

-Death of my Grandmother (played a big role in raising me).
-Parents went through better divorce so a lot of fighting and family upheaval (even a physical altercation at my graduation)
-Fighting/Facing charges is court (I end up receiving a reckless driving charge, and will have to list under personal fitness section anyway)
-Still taking a semesters worth of classes and trying maintain my summa cum laude status (3.80 requirement, I graduated with 3.83)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Unless a school specifically asks I don't think it's really worth it. If you do choose to, I would just address the things outside your control - your grandmother (and I'm very sorry for your loss) and your parents' divorce. The court and courseload stuff are things you chose to do.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:19 pm

dont do it, I didn't for a 12 point jump. Theres no point, you did better, your score reflects that. An addendum is for bad things, doing better is a good thing. Its like saying "So i know I crushed the lsat, but.."

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Clearly wrote:dont do it, I didn't for a 12 point jump. Theres no point, you did better, your score reflects that. An addendum is for bad things, doing better is a good thing. Its like saying "So i know I crushed the lsat, but.."

If a school requests that you write one, then would you agree the listing the things described above. In any event, I tend to say less rather than more when required to write one.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:54 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
Clearly wrote:dont do it, I didn't for a 12 point jump. Theres no point, you did better, your score reflects that. An addendum is for bad things, doing better is a good thing. Its like saying "So i know I crushed the lsat, but.."

If a school requests that you write one, then would you agree the listing the things described above. In any event, I tend to say less rather than more when required to write one.

I actually didn't write one even for schools that asked. But if you were going to, I'd make it shorter than you could reasonably include all of those points. It's not an essay. That said, now that I've read your reasons, I'm even more on team ignore it. You're already attaching a C+F addendum. Your application is gonna look like here's my gpa, lsat, resume, and several documents of excuses for them.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Postby tofuspeedstar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Nope. I'm not writing one (+14 on my September score from prior take) so I'll let the numbers talk. If they want to know, I'll tell them.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:Nope. I'm not writing one (+14 on my September score from prior take) so I'll let the numbers talk. If they want to know, I'll tell them.

^ True. Also I hear you "clearly." Just let the numbers talk unless the school contacts me directly and asks.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Postby Greenteachurro » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:Nope. I'm not writing one (+14 on my September score from prior take) so I'll let the numbers talk. If they want to know, I'll tell them.

That and lets be real, I think unless YHS, they probably don't really care. The numbers are significantly more important to them than whatever explaination you could possibly come up with.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:14 pm

TLS seems to be very anti-LSAT addendum, but several schools seem to encourage it in their application instructions.

Columbia:

"Finally, candidates who submit scores from more than one LSAT are strongly encouraged to provide a brief addendum that explains their testing history."

Duke:

"In the case of multiple test scores, data show that the average score is generally the most useful in predicting law school performance; however, Duke may place greater weight on a high score if the applicant provides compelling information about why that score is a better indication of his or her potential. If you feel that one or more of your test scores does not accurately reflect your ability or potential, please use the Miscellaneous Addendum attachment to explain this disparity."

I submitted an addendum for an 8-point score increase (which I attributed to getting 5 hours of sleep the first time around due to having been traveling prior to the test). I don't see how it would hurt to err on the side of caution and provide an explanation for why you think one score is more representative than another.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:46 am

addie1412 wrote:TLS seems to be very anti-LSAT addendum, but several schools seem to encourage it in their application instructions.

Columbia:

"Finally, candidates who submit scores from more than one LSAT are strongly encouraged to provide a brief addendum that explains their testing history."

Duke:

"In the case of multiple test scores, data show that the average score is generally the most useful in predicting law school performance; however, Duke may place greater weight on a high score if the applicant provides compelling information about why that score is a better indication of his or her potential. If you feel that one or more of your test scores does not accurately reflect your ability or potential, please use the Miscellaneous Addendum attachment to explain this disparity."

I submitted an addendum for an 8-point score increase (which I attributed to getting 5 hours of sleep the first time around due to having been traveling prior to the test). I don't see how it would hurt to err on the side of caution and provide an explanation for why you think one score is more representative than another.

Schools are the last source you should rely on. BOTH SIDES are self interested here, the school is always going to do two things: 1) say anything that results in them having more information to make a decision(ie addenda or personal statements that are harmful), and 2) anything to make you apply regardless of your likelihood of getting in (because the more people that apply, the lower the acceptance rate which helps ranking)

Seriously, I've called schools and said I have a 146 and want to go your t14, my personal statement about getting arrested on felony charges is really moving and got back "well you'll never know unless you apply! Your statement sounds riveting!"

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:54 am

Clearly wrote:
addie1412 wrote:TLS seems to be very anti-LSAT addendum, but several schools seem to encourage it in their application instructions.

Columbia:

Duke:

Schools are the last source you should rely on. BOTH SIDES are self interested here, the school is always going to do two things: 1) say anything that results in them having more information to make a decision(ie addenda or personal statements that are harmful), and 2) anything to make you apply regardless of your likelihood of getting in (because the more people that apply, the lower the acceptance rate which helps ranking)

Seriously, I've called schools and said I have a 146 and want to go your t14, my personal statement about getting arrested on felony charges is really moving and got back "well you'll never know unless you apply! Your statement sounds riveting!"

I don't see how it would hurt to write a brief addendum for multiple LSAT scores when you would essentially be following instructions by doing so. As long as you keep it fact-based and don't come off pretentious ("my first score was in no way indicative of my true ability"), I imagine schools whose instructions contain such wording would simply view it as reading carefully and following directions.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:23 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

I don't see how it would hurt to write a brief addendum for multiple LSAT scores when you would essentially be following instructions by doing so. As long as you keep it fact-based and don't come off pretentious ("my first score was in no way indicative of my true ability"), I imagine schools whose instructions contain such wording would simply view it as reading carefully and following directions.

Is this the sort of thing that there is a consensus on among professionals to put together applications for students applying to top tier schools, or more so conventional wisdom and personal anecdotes for each side or the argument?

On a side note, I am likely going to get a professional to put my application together after I take the December test. I will shop around and let you know what some of them say regarding the situation. I have a 3.83 GPA and am anticipating a score in low to mid 170's so and going to apply to most schools in the T14, which I believe are the schools that the concern is coming from.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

I had a big score jump and didn't write an addendum and got into Duke with a solid scholly.

/anecdote

Clearly, you've actually called schools up and gave them that story? Just curious what your motivation there was? Was it to prove once and for all that adcoms are literally the literal worst?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:27 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

Is this the sort of thing that there is a consensus on among professionals to put together applications for students applying to top tier schools, or more so conventional wisdom and personal anecdotes for each side or the argument?

On a side note, I am likely going to get a professional to put my application together after I take the December test. I will shop around and let you know what some of them say regarding the situation. I have a 3.83 GPA and am anticipating a score in low to mid 170's so and going to apply to most schools in the T14, which I believe are the schools that the concern is coming from.

TLS can probably crowd source whatever you're going to pay this pro to do. And for freesies too.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

I had a big score jump and didn't write an addendum and got into Duke with a solid scholly.

/anecdote

Clearly, you've actually called schools up and gave them that story? Just curious what your motivation there was? Was it to prove once and for all that adcoms are literally the literal worst?

I've personally called schools and given them comparably bad things (that unlike these were actually true, thus the obscuring) and been told the same self interested shit, write about it and apply! Their advice amounted to disclosing things no applicant would disclose unless obligated, and applying to schools I literally had no chance at.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Clearly wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

/anecdote

I've personally called schools and given them comparably bad things (that unlike these were actually true, thus the obscuring) and been told the same self interested shit, write about it and apply! Their advice amounted to disclosing things no applicant would disclose unless obligated, and applying to schools I literally had no chance at.

I'm not saying the addendum would necessarily help, just that it never hurts to do something a school "strongly encourages" you to do. Keep it brief, address what you need to address, and don't be an asshole about it. Also don't go into the minutiae of your revised study plan.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

TLS can probably crowd source whatever you're going to pay this pro to do. And for freesies too.

Perhaps, though it is not only for my the addendum portion of the application. I think that a train and experienced eye will likely help with other portions of my application such as personal statement and resume. Harvard is dream school, and If was not highly considering CNN, I would would not pay the money because I think my GPA of 3.83 and even a worse case scenario of performances in the high 160's more or less falls into both 75% of most T14 outside of CCN.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 pm

addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
addie1412 wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Columbia:

Duke:

/anecdote

I'm not saying the addendum would necessarily help, just that it never hurts to do something a school "strongly encourages" you to do. Keep it brief, address what you need to address, and don't be an asshole about it. Also don't go into the minutiae of your revised study plan.

I'm not talking about an LSAT addendum, but your general rule "it never hurts to do something a school strongly encourages you to do" is literally bullshit. Schools care about themselves, and you care about you. Don't get confused and think they give altruistic advice. If you called a school and said "hey I have a character and fitness issue but its not actually required to be disclosed by your prompt" they would say "write it anyway" when its unequivocally smarter and better for your odds for you to just shut up about it.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:16 am

Columbia:

Duke:

If Duke averaged scores, I wouldn't've gotten in. Didn't write an addendum and I got in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�