Do I retake? if so, how do I prep?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ZVBXRPL

Silver

Do I retake? if so, how do I prep?

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:10 am

Hey,

161/3.9, Masters from Stanford Law (4.0 GPA) in legal field I want to go into. Great LOR from law school profs. I don't think I want to go into biglaw. Aiming to start out on my own, but I really, really want options in case I decide to go corporate. I have used tutors, and very expensive courses. Diagnostic was low or mid 140s. Have been studying for almost three years, believe it or not. Want to take on smallest amount of debt possible. I have no problem starting my own place, but I want to make sure I gave LSAT my all before I apply to Brooklyn Law and get a nice scholly.

My mother and wife say to just apply because I have given it my all. My brother said that because there's no harm except for stress, I should bight the bullet and retake in December. I legitimately don't know what to do. I'm guessing you guys will say retake. I have used voyager's stuff in the past (in addition to mike kim, powerscore, manhattan, kaplan, etc.).

What do I do? Apply now to meh law schools and the ride or retake? If retake, how? How differently will I study already?
Last edited by ZVBXRPL on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shyguy4

New

Re: Do I retake? if so, how do I prep?

Postby Shyguy4 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 am

If you've succeeded academically as you say, you shouldn't have an issue learning the LSAT. Trouble is finding the right program. I used Testmasters first (not complete waste of money but overall weak program for what you pay) and did fairly well on the LSAT but wanted to retake to hit above 170. I studied by myself for 3 months using 7Sage, which I swear by, and took the most recent 35 LSATs to prep along with the 7Sage material and got a 171 on December LSAT. 7Sage is really best designed for people with a solid working base of LSAT concepts and you sound perfect for it and it is reasonably priced compared to test prep classes, trainers, etc. With a great GPA like that, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to retake and give yourself a shot at full scholarships to higher T14's or any T14 depending on your score.

Also, going out on your own is totally cool, but if you want to have a backup plan (read as option to do biglaw) then your best bet should really be to attend a T14 with as much as scholarship as possible.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 am

Shyguy4 wrote:If you've succeeded academically as you say, you shouldn't have an issue learning the LSAT. Trouble is finding the right program. I used Testmasters first (not complete waste of money but overall weak program for what you pay) and did fairly well on the LSAT but wanted to retake to hit above 170. I studied by myself for 3 months using 7Sage, which I swear by, and took the most recent 35 LSATs to prep along with the 7Sage material and got a 171 on December LSAT. 7Sage is really best designed for people with a solid working base of LSAT concepts and you sound perfect for it and it is reasonably priced compared to test prep classes, trainers, etc. With a great GPA like that, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to retake and give yourself a shot at full scholarships to higher T14's or any T14 depending on your score.

Also, going out on your own is totally cool, but if you want to have a backup plan (read as option to do biglaw) then your best bet should really be to attend a T14 with as much as scholarship as possible.

Thanks! I've used 7sage for lg and they seem good. I am having trouble with abstract flaws, necessary assumption, and rc. Any specific suggestions where on 7sage i should look to target these areas?

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:33 am

The LSAT Trainer deals with flaws pretty nicely.
Necessary assumptions are also super simple; treat those Qs as MBTs.
On the other hand, RC is something you'll have to get good at on your own; everyone approaches it differently.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:42 am

Definitely retake.
Also why Brookyln? What are your career goals? You should be aiming higher with that GPA.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Rigo wrote:Definitely retake.
Also why Brookyln? What are your career goals? You should be aiming higher with that GPA.

Want to stay in NY. Rely on family for support. Looking into PI. NYU RTK looks attractive, but 161 won't get me there.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:55 pm

bump! Any advice on how to prep the next 6 or so weeks?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�