retaking a fourth time?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
studyingeveryday

Silver

retaking a fourth time?

Postby studyingeveryday » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Does anyone have experience taking the LSAT four times? I canceled my first time, did okay the second, but I barely improved my third time despite PTing a lot higher than my test. I'm working for a year but wanted to go straight through, so retaking and thus taking another year off is a lot to consider. Anyone have any experience with taking the LSAT four times and spending two years before law school? :(

Rigo

Diamond

Re: retaking a fourth time?

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 pm

I haven't taken the LSAT four times but have been out of undergrad for over two years. You're not in a unique situation.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:05 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Does anyone have experience taking the LSAT four times? I canceled my first time, did okay the second, but I barely improved my third time despite PTing a lot higher than my test. I'm working for a year but wanted to go straight through, so retaking and thus taking another year off is a lot to consider. Anyone have any experience with taking the LSAT four times and spending two years before law school? :(

Maybe this thing is just not for you.

Seriously.

You've been studying for 2 years and have taken 3 swings at the real test.

Law school sucks anyway as does being an attorney. Truly miserable way to spend your life. 80% of the students on this site will be in a bad place in 4 years.

So count yourself lucky and go pick a new career.

EDIT: I went to law school after being out of undergrad for 9 years.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:28 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Does anyone have experience taking the LSAT four times? I canceled my first time, did okay the second, but I barely improved my third time despite PTing a lot higher than my test. I'm working for a year but wanted to go straight through, so retaking and thus taking another year off is a lot to consider. Anyone have any experience with taking the LSAT four times and spending two years before law school? :(

I've taken it that many times, and will have been out of undergrad *way* longer than you (Long story short: International student, international fees. Years on, residency status different, and can fund it anyway). First time I took with zero prep (I was young & dumb, believed the 'it can't be studied for' lie), second time I got a top 2% score, now I did slightly worse scorewise and much worse % wise, so retaking in Dec.

The major difference between us is that my multiple takes are over the better part of a decade. I'm in a profoundly different position than I was when I first sat the LSAT, with a different mindset, attitude, and set of knowledge.

If you're taking it so many times in rapid succession, and keep getting a similar result, you can't reasonably expect to change that. & frankly, a good chunk of this will depend on if 'did okay' or 'PTing higher' means 160 or 170. You're missing the crucial info on whether this is to make an app good, or just to try to make it viable in the first place.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�