December or wait? 164/AA GPA

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Moss

New

December or wait? 164/AA GPA

Postby Moss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi all,

First time poster here. Really need your help.

I'm an international applicant with a non-US bachelor's degree and a master's degree, currently working full time. I scored 164 at the 1st take, and 160 at the 2nd, although I had been PT'ing around 172 (169-175) before the September test. I think I freaked out a bit during the test and runned a little out of time in LG because of a rare game. I also haven't done PTs with experimental sections before.

I'm targeting T14, and I know I need a higher score to make up for the international GPA. Should I really push myself and study for the December one or just wait for the next cycle to have more time for preparation? I'm so stressed right now.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: December or wait? 164/AA GPA

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Will you actually be able to sustain study for several more months?
If you're scoring that high I would sprint for December, but it's really your call here and what you feel is right.

Moss

New

Postby Moss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Rigo wrote:Will you actually be able to sustain study for several more months?
If you're scoring that high I would sprint for December, but it's really your call here and what you feel is right.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know whether I can keep on for several more months or not. I only have the weekends for studying. But December feels like a big risk for my last chance.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm

you have taken the test twice already?

Reactions:

1) I suggest that you should just take the 164 if you want to apply this cycle. Whatever your practice testing process was, it did not translate on game day and the disparity between your practice test scores and reality was gigantic. You have what, 6 weeks until the December test? And you've already spent 6 months studying this thing? I doubt you are going to get to a 170+ given that you have two real tests under your belt and both are 160-164

Further, you are going to be super stressed over the next 6 weeks trying to crack this thing and that will impact your performance.

My diagnostic was a 164. Took me 3 months of focused study to get to a 174 (although I concede I was not investing 20+ hours a week until month 2...)

2) If you really need a higher score to go to the target schools of your dreams, I think you are going to need to delay. Best bet is to wait until next fall for application

What does "AA" mean in the thread title?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Voyager wrote:What does "AA" mean in the thread title?

International applicants get one of 4 "GPAs": below average, average, above average, superior

OP, you'll most likely need to hit the median for your target schools to have a shot, so you'll need at least a 166-167.

Moss

New

Postby Moss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Voyager wrote:you have taken the test twice already?

Reactions:

1) I suggest that you should just take the 164 if you want to apply this cycle. Whatever your practice testing process was, it did not translate on game day and the disparity between your practice test scores and reality was gigantic. You have what, 6 weeks until the December test? And you've already spent 6 months studying this thing? I doubt you are going to get to a 170+ given that you have two real tests under your belt and both are 160-164

Further, you are going to be super stressed over the next 6 weeks trying to crack this thing and that will impact your performance.

My diagnostic was a 164. Took me 3 months of focused study to get to a 174 (although I concede I was not investing 20+ hours a week until month 2...)

2) If you really need a higher score to go to the target schools of your dreams, I think you are going to need to delay. Best bet is to wait until next fall for application

What does "AA" mean in the thread title?

Thanks for the advice. I agree taking the December test is risky. But I know I can do better than 164.

For the past 6 months, I was working full time, and I didn't have 20+ hours/week then. I won't have that much time for study now. Maybe I will try next cycle.

Moss

New

Postby Moss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Voyager wrote:What does "AA" mean in the thread title?

International applicants get one of 4 "GPAs": below average, average, above average, superior

OP, you'll most likely need to hit the median for your target schools to have a shot, so you'll need at least a 166-167.

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I'm working for a 169-170 to have better chances.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:46 am

Moss wrote:
Voyager wrote:
For the past 6 months, I was working full time, and I didn't have 20+ hours/week then. I won't have that much time for study now. Maybe I will try next cycle.

Ah. So... I was also working full time when I was prepping.

You have 20 more hours in the week.

2-3 hours each week day
5-6 hours Saturday and Sunday

Yeah, it sucks... but quite doable...

Moss

New

Postby Moss » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:39 am

Voyager wrote:
Moss wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Ah. So... I was also working full time when I was prepping.

You have 20 more hours in the week.

2-3 hours each week day
5-6 hours Saturday and Sunday

Yeah, it sucks... but quite doable...

Thanks. This is a tough plan, but I'll try it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�