Getting an Accommodation

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
KME89

New

Getting an Accommodation

Postby KME89 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:25 am

Good morning everyone,

I received my LSAT score last night and am so disheartened. After raising my score ten points over the last few months, my official LSAT score was three points lower than any PT score I had ever gotten. I suffer from anxiety, which has been diagnosed by a doctor, and have taken medication for it in the past. I suffered from an anxiety attack right before the exam and had been suffering from severe anxiety and stress caused physical symptoms that whole week leading up to the exam. Since it was my first try taking the LSAT I decided to keep my score as a baseline to see where I fall under real test conditions other than just timing my sections (unfamiliar location, lots of people in the room, general stress of the actual day).

I have never requested accommodations for any other standardized tests (SAT & ACT). However, I wasn't diagnosed at that time either. Does anyone have any experience with getting testing accommodations and can speak to how likely it is to receive an accommodation with your doctor attesting to your condition, be it a psychologist or GP, but not having received an accommodation before? If it's helpful to note, I have been out of school for 5+ years and my anxiety increased to the point of seeking help after graduating from college.

Thank you to one and all.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Re: Getting an Accommodation

Postby tofuspeedstar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:28 am

I did it. Just make sure you have all proper documentation. I sent over three years of medical records from the time I was diagnosed with my neurological disorder.

Law2020hopeful

New

Postby Law2020hopeful » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Last edited by Law2020hopeful on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harveybirdman502

Bronze

Postby harveybirdman502 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:58 pm

KME89 wrote:Good morning everyone,

I received my LSAT score last night and am so disheartened. After raising my score ten points over the last few months, my official LSAT score was three points lower than any PT score I had ever gotten. I suffer from anxiety, which has been diagnosed by a doctor, and have taken medication for it in the past. I suffered from an anxiety attack right before the exam and had been suffering from severe anxiety and stress caused physical symptoms that whole week leading up to the exam. Since it was my first try taking the LSAT I decided to keep my score as a baseline to see where I fall under real test conditions other than just timing my sections (unfamiliar location, lots of people in the room, general stress of the actual day).

I have never requested accommodations for any other standardized tests (SAT & ACT). However, I wasn't diagnosed at that time either. Does anyone have any experience with getting testing accommodations and can speak to how likely it is to receive an accommodation with your doctor attesting to your condition, be it a psychologist or GP, but not having received an accommodation before? If it's helpful to note, I have been out of school for 5+ years and my anxiety increased to the point of seeking help after graduating from college.

Thank you to one and all.

Having just been approved on Friday, I'd love to offer a couple suggestions for the process and for your symptoms. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and panic disorder last year, so my doctor was able to provide documentation. Your doctor will likely do the same, especially if you explain how much your symptoms have increased with this test. He might even diagnose you with panic disorder, which is generally more severe than the occasional anxiety attack. My doctor basically wrote out all of the most extreme symptoms from the DSM that kick in under these time limits (for both conditions). Then she explained that the accommodations would accurately reflect my aptitude.

I never received any accommodations in the past. Been out of school for 8 years. But I was approved for 50% extra time and 10 minute breaks. I think it's less difficult than people make it out to be. Just as a fellow anxiety sufferer though, I've been experimenting with timing my meds and the test and I noticed that when I take a small dose of xanax before LR it takes the edge off and really increases my focus. Better posture and daily meditation have helped as well. Also healthy diet and exercise.

So good luck! I really hope you feel better. This is something we're supposed to be excited about rather than dreading so it's important to make sure your health doesn't interfere.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�