Retaking A Third Time?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

Re: Retaking A Third Time?

Postby RamTitan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:56 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:When can you take a 4th time? If you can take a 4th time in October, then you still have that retake up your sleeve.

My first take was June 2016, so I could not retake till June 2018 if I sat in February, correct?

RamTitan

Silver

Re: Retaking A Third Time?....Over A Year Of Studying Thus Far

Postby RamTitan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:01 pm

klaudiaxo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
klaudiaxo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Voyager wrote:Sounds like you have a ton of data to validate that a 169 is your score.

Don't do this to yourself.

169 is a fine score.

Apply to law school.

Haha, no doubt. Like I said, I'm a glutton for punishment it seems. I submitted my apps last night. I figure having a retake up my sleeve for June 2017 in case this cycle is a disaster is better than busting my ass for December.

Ah, well then mission accomplished.

Celebrate with a fine scotch. Macallan 18 if you can afford it; the 12 if you are on a budget.

Let this LSAT thing go, friend. You worked hard and did your best and got a decent score. Alea Iacta Est!

You will find plenty of mental torture your 1L year. Give yourself a break now and rest easy knowing that it was super unlikely that you were going to raise your score any higher and, in fact, quite likely you would have scored worse...

Definitely going to be doing some "celebrating" this weekend...just feels less than bittersweet after putting that extra work only to go down a point. Oh well, thanks again for the advice and pick-me-up!

Hi,

I'm curious how you raised you score from 149 to 169?

Actually started at a 146 haha. I will give a comprehensive post shortly

That would be really great I started at 149 and am in the 160's range right now. Thank you!

I'm thinking about making a thread for this (my lone contribution to these boards lol), but my studying had three phases.

First 3 months - PowerScore bibles, learning the basics of the test, occasional PT to measure growth; 20 hours a week
Next 7 months - I started a full-time job, so I would just do one section at lunch and review it every day, and then take a PT and BR it on weekend; 10 hours a week
Last 2 months - took a leave of absence from my job and started taking three practice tests a week along with BRing them. This was the the least helpful part of my study process; 25 hours a week
For the retake, I did two practice tests a week (but they were either retakes or re-retakes), and would drill hard problems on off days. I felt like my understanding went through the roof during this phase, but as you can see, it did not result in a score increase; 25 hours a week

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:02 pm

What about starting from scratch with something like the LSAT trainer? Just relearn how to take the test?

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Last edited by HYPSM on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:51 pm

HYPSM wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Last 2 months - took a leave of absence from my job and started taking three practice tests a week along with BRing them. This was the the least helpful part of my study process; 25 hours a week

Interesting! So taking 3 PTs a week + BR was the least helpful for you? Why? What would you have done differently?

And what would you suggest to someone who has a pretty good familiarity with the test (has drilled individual sections for ~2 months), but hasn't taken any full PTs yet?

I find that tests are great for building endurance and not getting pysched out on game day. However, even with BRs, it's harder to see improvements in accuracy. With that said, I was at a point in my plateau that I never broke out of, and once you are in that 170+ range it's difficult to see improvements because you're pretty much only missing the hardest problems at this point. This is why I started primarily focusing on drilling hard problems during my retake. Like I said, I felt like I had cracked the test, but my score definitely does not reflect that.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Bumping one more time. Really hoping to get some more feedback. This was my test breakdown:

First time was -3 RC, -2 games, and -6 LR

Second time was -5 RC, -1 games, and -6 LR

Have taken almost every preptest at least once, all of the modern ones twice or three times.

My dilemma is how do I study without fresh material?
I tried reusing stuff for my second test, and it did not lead to a score increase.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:20 pm

RamTitan wrote:Bumping one more time. Really hoping to get some more feedback. This was my test breakdown:

Have taken almost every preptest at least once, all of the modern ones twice or three times.

I tried reusing stuff for my second test, and it did not lead to a score increase.

ha! Well you have my advice: feels like a huge expenditure of effort for a low likelihood of reward.

Especially the Feb exam.

I'd argue you are losing out on the advantage of getting your applications in by December vice March.... big difference there to keep in mind.

So you better get a pretty sizable jump. 172+ or something.

Really think you are best off enjoying yourself. A 169- particularly when raised from a 146- is a satisfying achievement.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 am

Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Bumping one more time. Really hoping to get some more feedback. This was my test breakdown:

ha! Well you have my advice: feels like a huge expenditure of effort for a low likelihood of reward.

Especially the Feb exam.

I'd argue you are losing out on the advantage of getting your applications in by December vice March.... big difference there to keep in mind.

Really think you are best off enjoying yourself. A 169- particularly when raised from a 146- is a satisfying achievement.

I applied in October. Have gotten into one t14, and two in the 15-20 range with sizable scholarships. I know I reached this conclusion earlier (getting waitlisted from two of my top choices so quickly really rattled me), but I'm going to hold off until I get more decisions back before pulling the trigger. I figure I'll hear back from most places in December and January, so if I need a June take, then I'll have 4 solid months of studying.

Thanks again for the compliment and encouragement. I figure that I'll probably be happy with my end results, and think it's just my ego messing with me.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:54 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Especially the Feb exam.

I applied in October. Have gotten into one t14, and two in the 15-20 range with sizable scholarships. I know I reached this conclusion earlier (getting waitlisted from two of my top choices so quickly really rattled me), but I'm going to hold off until I get more decisions back before pulling the trigger. I figure I'll hear back from most places in December and January, so if I need a June take, then I'll have 4 solid months of studying.

Thanks again for the compliment and encouragement. I figure that I'll probably be happy with my end results, and think it's just my ego messing with me.

Well done! That is a fine place to sit this early in the cycle.

(don't suppose you can reveal which T14 school?)

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Voyager wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
Voyager wrote:

Especially the Feb exam.

Well done! That is a fine place to sit this early in the cycle.

(don't suppose you can reveal which T14 school?)

I'll send you a PM

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�