Retake or no (major confusion and worry)?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Glitint

New

Retake or no (major confusion and worry)?

Postby Glitint » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello all,

Long-time stalker, first time poster here.

I'm a female international student with a non-US bachelor's degree (GPA: 3.98) currently working full time. I scored a 170. I want to be H/S competitive.

The problem is I had been covering a PT every weekend and had PTed in the 174-176 range in the month before September. I actively felt myself freaking out in the test and running out of time which had NEVER happened before.

My test is non-disclosed since I'm an international. I don't even know how many questions I got wrong let alone what.

Do I retake? If so, how do I approach the period leading up to December? My work commitment is at an all-time high and I don't see myself realistically able to get through more than a PT a week again. I'm so confused, disappointed, and worried at this point.

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Retake or no (major confusion and worry)?

Postby Instrumental » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:08 pm

I would say you should retake if you truly want to be competitive and especially since you know you're capable of doing better.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 pm

depends on what evaluation you get. I got the same score and received an Above Average evaluation for my international transcript. With your 3.9 UGPA you have a shot at a Superior which will give you a better advantage at HLS, but considering that their LSAT median is a 172/173 if you know you'll do better then go for it. Ive been told that scoring lower has no impact whatsoever on your admission chances.

Glitint

New

Postby Glitint » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:16 pm

LSAC gave me a superior for my transcript evaluation, which does make me feel slightly more secure. But I definitely still feel the worry of not knowing exactly what went wrong and whether I'll be able to improve if I do retake.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 pm

You likely wont get H with a 170. Retake for a few more points. It will make the difference from 5% to 50%+.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Postby pleasesendhelp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Glitint wrote:LSAC gave me a superior for my transcript evaluation, which does make me feel slightly more secure. But I definitely still feel the worry of not knowing exactly what went wrong and whether I'll be able to improve if I do retake.

The thing is, international transcripts are seen as barriers as opposed to benefits. Because international transcripts are not registered and hold no bearing for the law school's ranking, it almost doesn't matter if you have an amazing gpa. That being said, someone with an Average rating has a 0% shot at HLS. A Superior gets them to look at your application but it doesn't boost your chances while someone with a domestic 3.9 gpa will gain a benefit. Your LSAT will hold more weight compared to others.

This is from me researching non stop for the past year. Take it or leave it, but in light of all this, you have a GREAT shot at every other law school with a decent shot at scholarship money. If you're dead set on HLS you need to retake.

lumberjack23

New

Postby lumberjack23 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:24 pm

Unless you are Canadian and I've seen one with similar stat who got into H, you should retake. An International transcript is a minus in most cases.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�