LSAT Trainer, 7sage, or something else? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
abogado92

New

LSAT Trainer, 7sage, or something else?

Post by abogado92 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here entering the fold. I had a goal of getting a 170 on my S16 LSAT but fell short with a 164 due to missing -5 from each LR and -9 from the RC. Only missed one from LG.

My question is...if I'm retaking in December, what's the best use of my time to boost my score? In studying for the test the first time, I did the LG and LR bibles and took about 15 practice tests. I have limited time to commit to studying, given that I'm a current Teach For America corps member, but with my 3.9 GPA, I'm aiming high.

I've read on here that both the LSAT Trainer and 7sage are great resources, but I'll probably only have time to commit to one. Is one better than the other for my situation, or should I look elsewhere?

hellohalo

Silver

Re: LSAT Trainer, 7sage, or something else?

Post by hellohalo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:25 am

164 tells me that you have pretty much know "how to"...

Given your limited time, I think pre-test and online explanation is better than studying "text books"

Practice practice practice

Plus. I like trainer's RC, it helped me to truly understand what RC is about. With drilling, my RC improved from -9 to -3.

So maybe pretest, online discussion and trainer's RC.

Thewanderer

New

Post by Thewanderer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28 pm

I am wondering the same thing. What do you think will be the most efficient study aid between now and Dec 3?

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Also got 164. My BR scores were in the high 170s so I think I have the foundation down.
I realized that 3 things really hurt my score: 1) RC inconsistency. Had a huge variance, going from -2 to -10. Have to get this down to a consistent -3,-4 to get a top score. Will drill passages every day and BR them thoroughly. 2) Stamina- this is so important, I would kill sections when I did them individually but when taking 5 section tests I would make dumb mistakes. Will start taking 6 section tests so that a 5 section one doesn't feel so draining. Will also start taking PT's at 8:30 am sharp, something I didn't do prior to Sep. 3) Timing- I'd finish in time, but never had extra time to look over my answers. I always felt rushed. Will start implementing a skipping strategy more consistently and aim to finish sections in 30-32 minutes.

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:14 pm

hellohalo wrote:164 tells me that you have pretty much know "how to"...

Given your limited time, I think pre-test and online explanation is better than studying "text books"

Practice practice practice

Plus. I like trainer's RC, it helped me to truly understand what RC is about. With drilling, my RC improved from -9 to -3.

So maybe pretest, online discussion and trainer's RC.

Second this. Trainer helped me hugely in RC. Just focus on the main points of every passage- by really understanding the structure of the passage (background, who is saying what, what's the evidence, what the author thinks), and all the details will fall into place more naturally. Don't worry too much about retaining details info, just know where you can find it. And always go with the smaller answer in terms of word strength.

Try to implement this, see if it works for you, and do like 10 passages back to back. You'll start to see results I promise.

Using this philosophy, I used to miss 2-3 every passage and now I typically go 0-1. Have had several -1/2 rc sections in the last month.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”