Timing During the Actual Test

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
potus

Bronze

Timing During the Actual Test

Postby potus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi all. I’ve finally mustered enough courage to come back to TLS after taking that Sept LSAT. I had some issues with timing; not sure if this was the norm. The proctor provided just a single 5 minute heads up and then all pencils have to go down once time was up. Since I knew I wouldn’t have a chance to fill in any blank circles once time was up for a section, when I got the 5 minute notice -- I started to rush to make sure that I at least would complete the section. With any extra time, I went back to review my answers but I was already outside my comfort.

On regular PT sessions, I would normally finish each section on time and was confident in my ability to finish with time to spare. It really revolved around getting only a 5 minute notice and then spending that time making sure I tie up any loose ends. It felt like I should prepare for 30 mins a section.

I know I can’t bring a timer to the test that I can set to 35 mins once each section begins. With an analog watch, would you recommend writing down the time each section started and calculating the 35 mins? Would you look at your watch when you get the 5 minute notice? Any tips during the actual test or PT?

Thanks!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Re: Timing During the Actual Test

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Get the Mastermind watch. It worked like a charm for me on the September take.

potus

Bronze

Postby potus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:07 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:Get the Mastermind watch. It worked like a charm for me on the September take.

Oh, thank you! This is actually exactly what I'm looking for.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:15 pm

potus wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:Get the Mastermind watch. It worked like a charm for me on the September take.

Oh, thank you! This is actually exactly what I'm looking for.

Not a problem! It's really convenient to use when you're taking the exam since you only have to press a couple buttons to reset it. My proctor didn't even give a 5 minute warning on one of the sections so I would've been SOL without it.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:19 pm

potus wrote:Hi all. I’ve finally mustered enough courage to come back to TLS after taking that Sept LSAT. I had some issues with timing; not sure if this was the norm. The proctor provided just a single 5 minute heads up and then all pencils have to go down once time was up.

Exactly as it should be (everywhere).

Since I knew I wouldn’t have a chance to fill in any blank circles once time was up for a section, when I got the 5 minute notice -- I started to rush to make sure that I at least would complete the section. With any extra time, I went back to review my answers but I was already outside my comfort.

On regular PT sessions, I would normally finish each section on time and was confident in my ability to finish with time to spare. It really revolved around getting only a 5 minute notice and then spending that time making sure I tie up any loose ends. It felt like I should prepare for 30 mins a section.

I know I can’t bring a timer to the test that I can set to 35 mins once each section begins. With an analog watch, would you recommend writing down the time each section started and calculating the 35 mins? Would you look at your watch when you get the 5 minute notice? Any tips during the actual test or PT?

Thanks!

Basic $10 analogue wristwatch. Set it to 12:00, start when time starts. Your choice if you run the sessions to 00:35 1:10 1:45, or use the (perfectly adequate) time between sections as proctor talks to reset.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 pm

getting a diving watch with a bezel works about as well imo, and you have a watch you could actually use in other situations.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Analog watch --> set to xx:25. At 35 minutes time, it will be at the next hour. Easier to recognize than going xx:00 --> xx:35 imo

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?