On the physical discipline aspect of testing

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Rogah

New

On the physical discipline aspect of testing

Postby Rogah » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Is it really the case that not a drop of water may pass one's lips for the 1 3/4 hours before the first break -- plus for whatever time the prelude takes after initial seating? Would the wrath of LSAC come down upon anyone sneaking a sip from the (plastic!) bottle in the (ziplock!) bag beneath one's chair?

During the small interval between sections during which the proctor says a few things, may one rise to stretch one's legs?

ivankasta

Bronze

Re: On the physical discipline aspect of testing

Postby ivankasta » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:59 pm

My TC let people drink water if they brought bottles but I don't know if every center does. As for stretching your legs, you won't have time. It's really a quick break between sections: "Pencils down. Turn to the next section and begin....NOW"

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:03 am

My TC was lax about water.
Don't stretch your legs though. That's weird enough to draw negative attention. Just practice sitting for extended periods of time?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 am

I drink a lot of water normally and it really wasn't that big of a deal. Same with stretching legs. You can stretch them out sitting down still as well lol

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:28 am

My TC didn't allow drinking beverages until break, though I think you could drink water after you were seated but before the test started. I'm someone who drinks water obsessively, so this was something I was a bit concerned about. But honestly, when you're taking the actual test, that's the last thing you're going to be thinking about. Don't worry about it too much.

I don't think standing up to stretch your legs between sections would go over well as it might constitute a distraction to other test takers and the time between sections is extremely short - plan to stretch your legs sitting down. Like water though, it likely won't be something you'll be thinking about a great deal during the actual test.

Doesthenamematter

New

Postby Doesthenamematter » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:42 am

Taken the LSAT twice, 2 different centers, took a sip of water between each section both times. I think it would have been crazy if a proctor ever gave me a hard time for it

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:12 am

You don't have time to stretch your legs between sections ("Put your pencils down. Close your booklets. You will have the next 35 minutes to work on section two only. Turn to section two, and start working now.") Standing up would draw incredible amount of attention to yourself, and risk being accused of cheating (e.g. making it easier to see someone else's scantron). Sitting for a couple of hours isn't that hard, and (almost certainly) something you've already done in class, at the movies, on planes, etc.

Water depends on your proctor. Ours advised us that any drinks had to be kept under chairs, but "you may of course drink from bottled water".

CMac86

Bronze

Postby CMac86 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 pm

You can stretch your legs without standing up, or even moving that much. That was a concern for me since I have had two DVT's (blood clots) in my leg, and due to Doc's orders, I do not typically stay seated for over an hour at a time. They taught me these stretches for the times where I have to stay seated for extended periods of time (taking tests, long car rides, etc). The main stretches, that I do, focus on my calves (where I had the clots). All you do is raise your heels as far as you can, and then reverse and raise your toes as far as you can. If you have room in front of you (e.g. not sitting across from someone else or at a small desk), extend your legs straight out to stretch your quads out a bit.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:33 pm

At my test center, they let you drink water during the test, but you had to keep the water bottle on the floor.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�