The rule substitution question- LG

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
connordalto

Bronze

The rule substitution question- LG

Postby connordalto » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Does anybody have a good way to tackle these questions (besides skipping them)? I always miss them but feel like they could be easy points with a good system. Also feel like they increase in frequency on later lsats so I wanna try to get them down. Any suggestions?

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Re: The rule substitution question- LG

Postby kindofcanuck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 pm

connordalto wrote:Does anybody have a good way to tackle these questions (besides skipping them)? I always miss them but feel like they could be easy points with a good system. Also feel like they increase in frequency on later lsats so I wanna try to get them down. Any suggestions?

You're told the rule that's suspended, so if you understand the game, you know what it was doing. One of the five things will do the same thing - they are pretty easy points. I mean, really the only 'good way to tackle' is to understand the rule that they're replacing. You should have written out on your diagram exactly what it was doing. Look for something that does the same thing.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:37 pm

These questions are a lot easier than they seem. For the rule in question, think about the effects of that rule (ex. does it mean that a certain entity is always before another entity or constricted to a few spots?). Then, look for the choice that creates the exact same effects of that rule (nothing more, nothing less). When you go over questions, review every single answer choice and understand why it's wrong; that'll help you improve at these questions and gain a bit of an intuition for the choices as you keep studying.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 pm

connordalto wrote:Does anybody have a good way to tackle these questions (besides skipping them)? I always miss them but feel like they could be easy points with a good system. Also feel like they increase in frequency on later lsats so I wanna try to get them down. Any suggestions?

I think these questions can be pretty tricky, but are sometimes surprisingly simple. It differs on a case by case basis. Your criteria for the correct answer is twofold:

1) It has to create ALL of the same restrictions that the original rule created.
2) It CANNOT create any new restrictions on top of those.

For #1, you should first quickly go over all the restrictions created by the original rule. Make sure the answer choice creates the same ones - if even one is missing, eliminate that choice and move on. Or, if you notice that the answer choice creates a new restriction that wasn't created by the original rule, eliminate that answer choice.

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I think these questions can be pretty tricky, but are sometimes surprisingly simple. It differs on a case by case basis. Your criteria for the correct answer is twofold:

1) It has to create ALL of the same restrictions that the original rule created.
2) It CANNOT create any new restrictions on top of those.

For #1, you should first quickly go over all the restrictions created by the original rule. Make sure the answer choice creates the same ones - if even one is missing, eliminate that choice and move on. Or, if you notice that the answer choice creates a new restriction that wasn't created by the original rule, eliminate that answer choice.

Okay, gotcha, those two points are exactly what I was looking for. So next time I see one of these, I'm going to cross off the original rule on my diagram (as theyre always the last question in the game), and then sub in possible correct answers until one meets both conditions. Thanks Blueprint, coming in clutch once again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�