what are the best ways to study for the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
brinicolec

Gold

Re: 3 month study plan from THE PS using the 3 bibles

Post by brinicolec » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:29 am

MARIALE wrote:Hi everyone!!!
I just found a 3 month study plan from the PS. However, it is a little confusing, it says that I should study all three books simultaneously. I would not have a problem following their plan, but I'm afraid that it may confuses me more, since I'm new with all this. It also says to do homework using their books, and I only have the three bibles, I was thinking to purchase the workbooks as well. But in their study plan they use about 9 different books. I need an advice, I want to follow a good study plan, without getting lost in the process.

thank you.
The study plan is going to be based on the 9 books they listed. Also, don't waste money on getting the workbooks. The schedule will probably list which book to use and what section/page numbers/whatever and also list what "homework" to do (which is usually from one of the books OR from preptests). I'm not sure if I've looked at that study plan specifically, but that's usually how they're set up.

MARIALE

New

Re: what are the best ways to study for the LSAT?

Post by MARIALE » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi, does anyone know of the best study guides to study for the lsat?

Thank you !!!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:34 pm

MARIALE wrote:Hi, does anyone know of the best study guides to study for the lsat?

Thank you !!!
The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim (founder of Testmasters) is highly recommended. I just started working through it and I've found it helpful as a basic overview of the test.

https://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Trainer-rem ... at+trainer

Beyond that it depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are.

MARIALE

New

Post by MARIALE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:50 pm

I currently have the powerscore 3 bibles and workbooks, do you know of any study plan with these books?? I'm planning on getting the prep test book as well.

ri.co

New

Post by ri.co » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm

MARIALE wrote:I currently have the powerscore 3 bibles and workbooks, do you know of any study plan with these books?? I'm planning on getting the prep test book as well.
Probably use their self-study guides if you are using all their materials.

http://students.powerscore.com/self-study/index.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ri.co

New

Post by ri.co » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
MARIALE wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT. I have the Kaplan books (the workbook and the premiern 2015). I thought on studying 10 pages a day and test myself on the portion I studied with time. What do you all think? do you suggest other ways?

thank you!
Kaplan is not the greatest resource. Pick up the Powerscore Trilogy or Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Also pick up several of Lsac actually 10 practice test series. Additionally, consider picking up a few books that have LR questions, RC passage, LG games, categorized by type.

1. Going through the Trilogy at a comfortable and steady pace to build your foundation.
2. Create an account on 7sgae or Lsat LQ to input your PT scores
3. Take a PT and input score into one of databases listed above
4. Review the test and work on improve the question types you are weakest on (using the prep books described above).
5. Continuously repeat steps 3 and 4.
For #2 did you mean LSAT QA? Took me a while to figure it out FYI. Thanks for the advice do you have any suggestion whether 7Sage or LSAT QA are better if I am using Powerscore bibles?

MARIALE

New

Post by MARIALE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm

ri.co wrote:
MARIALE wrote:I currently have the powerscore 3 bibles and workbooks, do you know of any study plan with these books?? I'm planning on getting the prep test book as well.

THANKS, yes! I have seen their study plan. However, they added other material (3 other books called "training" ) to their study plan. I also, asked them if there was a study plan with the bibles and workbooks, but they suggest to buy all their material, which to me sounds more like business.

I hope someone knows a good study plan :) thank you

ri.co

New

Post by ri.co » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 am

MARIALE wrote:
ri.co wrote:

THANKS, yes! I have seen their study plan. However, they added other material (3 other books called "training" ) to their study plan. I also, asked them if there was a study plan with the bibles and workbooks, but they suggest to buy all their material, which to me sounds more like business.

I hope someone knows a good study plan :) thank you
Yeah, I was in the same boat but I think I am just going with the bibles. I'm sure I can find explanations everywhere on the web.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Post by SunDevil14 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:31 am

ri.co wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
MARIALE wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT. I have the Kaplan books (the workbook and the premiern 2015). I thought on studying 10 pages a day and test myself on the portion I studied with time. What do you all think? do you suggest other ways?

thank you!
Kaplan is not the greatest resource. Pick up the Powerscore Trilogy or Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Also pick up several of Lsac actually 10 practice test series. Additionally, consider picking up a few books that have LR questions, RC passage, LG games, categorized by type.

1. Going through the Trilogy at a comfortable and steady pace to build your foundation.
2. Create an account on 7sgae or Lsat LQ to input your PT scores
3. Take a PT and input score into one of databases listed above
4. Review the test and work on improve the question types you are weakest on (using the prep books described above).
5. Continuously repeat steps 3 and 4.
For #2 did you mean LSAT QA? Took me a while to figure it out FYI. Thanks for the advice do you have any suggestion whether 7Sage or LSAT QA are better if I am using Powerscore bibles?
Yeah it was a typo (Lsat QA). TBH as far as the analytic database goes there is not too much difference. Personally, I prefer 7sage because of the free logic games explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 pm

I finally have an official test done, and I learned a lot about myself in the last month leading up to it.

Here's what I have used (in approximate order): PowerScore Trilogy, LSAT Trainer, Manhattan LR & RC, Blueprint LG, 7sage, and every PT I could get from Amazon. I didn't get all the way through Manhattan RC or Blueprint LG since I started 7sage at that point. In the last month or so leading up to the test, I went back through Manhattan LR and LSAT Trainer coupled with 7sage question type drilling.

I liked the foundation provided by the Trilogy, the material seemed fairly easy to digest. The individual sections were short enough that I didn't find myself glazing over very easily. LSAT Trainer was awesome for LR and RC while providing a different take on LG. The question type breakdown of the Trainer was awesome, especially for RC and LR. Manhattan LR was great for getting a bit more indepth and I appreciated the humor/references. 7sage was an entirely different beast compared to the others. I started off with the Premium Package and ended up upgrading to the Ultimate +. I liked the digital format that mixed audio, video, and problem sets. Looking back, I think I would have been better served starting with 7sage, and then using the other books/programs to get a different perspective. The breakdown of conditional logic, approach to eliminating answer choices, and the depth of the material was tremendously helpful. The video explanations of each question of each test helped me understand not only why certain answers are correct, but why others are wrong...and that lead to so many "AH HAH, THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING WRONG" moments.

I ended up doing 28 PT's total (I jumped around a bit, and used sections from certain PT's as 5th sections).
I had several blocks where I fell off the studying wagon for 3-5 weeks (life, work, and burn out all occured). So, I took my firstPT, PT 19, on April 30th, 2016 as a diagnostic, writing a 55/150. My last PT before the test was PT 80 on Feb 1st, 2017 and wrote a 79/163. I'll find out in just under a month what I wrote on my first real test.

That is a fairly long-winded way of saying, don't be afraid to seek additional perspectives. I felt like some of the material didn't really click until I was on my second or third source...or my second or third time through a given source.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 am

I took the Blueprint online class and felt that it was very helpful (and worth the $$$). They gave me all the materials I needed, from lesson plans to practice materials and real preptests, and the online format allowed me to adjust the lessons according to what I needed to spend more time on. Can't speak for the other options mentioned on here since I never used them, but Blueprint definitely gets two thumbs up from me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”