what are the best ways to study for the LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MARIALE

New

what are the best ways to study for the LSAT?

Postby MARIALE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:11 pm

I just started studying for the LSAT. I have the Kaplan books (the workbook and the premiern 2015). I thought on studying 10 pages a day and test myself on the portion I studied with time. What do you all think? do you suggest other ways?

thank you!

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: what are the best ways to study for the LSAT?

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:07 pm

I recommend first finding a different set of prep-material. Do some research here on the forums about powerscore, 7sage, the trainer, Manhattan, and see which one you like best. Can't go wrong with any of the ones i listed really. Kaplan just isn't top notch.

Then as far as amount of work a day--it just depends on your schedule and what else you have going on.
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 pm

return the Kaplan books and get one of the books/companies mentioned above ^

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Agreed on ditching Kaplan. I have no experience with their material but I've read enough threads to feel comfortable saying that you should go in a different direction. If you're going with a course I'd recommend 7sage. I have experience with both their course and testmesters' course and prefer 7sage's. As for books I have found Manhattan prep's to be more beneficial than Powerscore's, especially for logic games. The LSAT Trainer is another good resource. Best of luck to you! It's a long road but it can honestly be fun... Sometimes at least lol.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:56 am

Get the LSAT Trainer! also, look it up online and use one of the study plans so you're drilling and start taking practice tests when it's time as well.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 am

jagerbom79 wrote:I recommend first finding a different set of prep-material. Do some research here on the forums about powerscore, 7sage, the trainer, Manhattan, and see which one you like best. Can't go wrong with any of the ones i listed really. Kaplan just isn't top notch.

Then as far as amount of work a day--it just depends on your schedule and what else you have going on.

This x1000. I bought the Kaplan set of books, signed up for their class, and did about a week worth before I got a refund. They're great for MCAT/GRE/GMAT, etc, but for some reason, they aren't very good with the LSAT.

Like my man Jagerbomb said these are the way to go:

7Sage
Powerscore
Manhattan
LSAT Trainer
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:31 am

Agree with what others have said but just want to add that I think it also depends on your learning style. While there's certain books I'd def. recommend (LSAT Trainer + LG & LR Bibles), I think the best way to go about studying depends on how you best retain info. Some people prefer to teach themselves (I'm one of them) but others learn better when they take a class. Another thing is GET A TON OF PRETESTS. You're gonna need them for drills and then, once you have a solid foundation of the concepts, you're gonna need those full PTs to practice practice practice.

MARIALE

New

Postby MARIALE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:56 am

thank you all so much! I'll not waste my time on the kaplan books then.
I was doing some research on lsat books and I seen Powerscore, LSAT trainer, and 7sage to be the best out there.
which one would you highly recommend ? also, I seen some people mixing and studying from both books, do you think that is a good idea? I haven't started, so I'm wondering how to study two books (i.e.: powerscore and 7sage) that will teach the same, just different methods, which at the end it could confuse me more.

thank you!!

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:10 am

when are you taking the LSAT?

MARIALE

New

Postby MARIALE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:29 am

I was thinking by February 2017. But I want to be ready, I don't know if that is enough time to go through all the material.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 pm

MARIALE wrote:I was thinking by February 2017. But I want to be ready, I don't know if that is enough time to go through all the material.

Most people need a couple months of intensive studying to prep. You don't want to start too early and risk burning yourself out. But again, that depends on how you learn.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 pm

MARIALE wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT. I have the Kaplan books (the workbook and the premiern 2015). I thought on studying 10 pages a day and test myself on the portion I studied with time. What do you all think? do you suggest other ways?

thank you!

Kaplan is not the greatest resource. Pick up the Powerscore Trilogy or Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Also pick up several of Lsac actually 10 practice test series. Additionally, consider picking up a few books that have LR questions, RC passage, LG games, categorized by type.

1. Going through the Trilogy at a comfortable and steady pace to build your foundation.
2. Create an account on 7sgae or Lsat LQ to input your PT scores
3. Take a PT and input score into one of databases listed above
4. Review the test and work on improve the question types you are weakest on (using the prep books described above).
5. Continuously repeat steps 3 and 4.

MARIALE

New

Postby MARIALE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:17 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
MARIALE wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT. I have the Kaplan books (the workbook and the premiern 2015). I thought on studying 10 pages a day and test myself on the portion I studied with time. What do you all think? do you suggest other ways?

thank you!

Kaplan is not the greatest resource. Pick up the Powerscore Trilogy or Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Also pick up several of Lsac actually 10 practice test series. Additionally, consider picking up a few books that have LR questions, RC passage, LG games, categorized by type.

1. Going through the Trilogy at a comfortable and steady pace to build your foundation.
2. Create an account on 7sgae or Lsat LQ to input your PT scores
3. Take a PT and input score into one of databases listed above
4. Review the test and work on improve the question types you are weakest on (using the prep books described above).
5. Continuously repeat steps 3 and 4.

Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate you taking the time to detailed the steps for me. I will follow them.
thanks a lot again :):)

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:25 pm

No worries, there are some pretty good guides on here that are quite detailed and with take through every step. You may want to check them out.

MARIALE

New

Postby MARIALE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:No worries, there are some pretty good guides on here that are quite detailed and with take through every step. You may want to check them out.

I know, I'm new here but I have got good information. I'm starting as a self-study, I know most people take a course.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:29 pm

MARIALE wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:No worries, there are some pretty good guides on here that are quite detailed and with take through every step. You may want to check them out.

I know, I'm new here but I have got good information. I'm starting as a self-study, I know most people take a course.

You may be surprised, quite a bit of people self-study. IMO I believe that you can make more and quicker progress if you self-study and use the right resources so long as you are disciplined and dedicated.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
MARIALE wrote:

You may be surprised, quite a bit of people self-study. IMO I believe that you can make more and quicker progress if you self-study and use the right resources so long as you are disciplined and dedicated.

the highest scorers tend to self-study I believe. also, I HIGHLY recommend Manhattan Logic Games over Powerscore. I'd also recommend Manhattan Reading Comp over Powerscore. For Logical Reasoning, either is fine -- in my opinion, of course.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:42 pm

proteinshake wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
MARIALE wrote:

the highest scorers tend to self-study I believe. also, I HIGHLY recommend Manhattan Logic Games over Powerscore. I'd also recommend Manhattan Reading Comp over Powerscore. For Logical Reasoning, either is fine -- in my opinion, of course.

I second the Manhattan Prep RC. I've read both Manhattan Prep and Powerscore LG, and prefer the latter. To each his own. In any event, cant go wrong with the 7sage video explanations in combination with the LG prep book that you choose.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 pm

If you do happen to take a course I'd highly recommend taking an online one. I've read that in-person classes don't move very quickly.

studystudystudy

New

Postby studystudystudy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Same question for me. I plan on taking the June 2017 LSAT. Will only be taking three classes to lighten my school load but I work as a legal assistant at a firm so I will be doing that T/Th/F as well. I WAS originally going to go through Kaplan. However, after seeing what others report on them, I am thinking that Kaplan would not be the wisest choice. I would prefer a course because of school and work. Thoughts and suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:33 pm

studystudystudy wrote:Same question for me. I plan on taking the June 2017 LSAT. Will only be taking three classes to lighten my school load but I work as a legal assistant at a firm so I will be doing that T/Th/F as well. I WAS originally going to go through Kaplan. However, after seeing what others report on them, I am thinking that Kaplan would not be the wisest choice. I would prefer a course because of school and work. Thoughts and suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I did self study, so I can't comment much on a specific course, but I did do LSAT tutoring for a bit and I noticed that a fair number of retakers had done a Kaplan course the first time around and absolutely hated it. Yes there is a sample bias issue there, but it was odd that it was almost exclusively Kaplan that was despised, FWIW.

MARIALE

New

THE POWERSCORE BIBLE TRILOGY

Postby MARIALE » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:45 am

Hi, everyone!!
I just bought the powerscore lsat bible trilogy (not the workbooks)
I wanted to know which book should I start studying. Logic games bible, logical reasoning bible, or reading comp. bible?

thank you.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: THE POWERSCORE BIBLE TRILOGY

Postby Mikey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:48 am

MARIALE wrote:Hi, everyone!!
I wanted to know which book should I start studying. Logic games bible, logical reasoning bible, or reading comp. bible?

thank you.

what's your strongest section? if you haven't taken a diagnostic then you probably won't know that. but i'd say start with either the LR or LG bible first. i say LG bible if you want to see some improvement faster since it's the easiest section to learn. but actually, i'm gonna have to say go with the LR bible first, it's half the test so that's very important.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: THE POWERSCORE BIBLE TRILOGY

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Mikey wrote:
MARIALE wrote:Hi, everyone!!

thank you.

what's your strongest section? if you haven't taken a diagnostic then you probably won't know that. but i'd say start with either the LR or LG bible first. i say LG bible if you want to see some improvement faster since it's the easiest section to learn. but actually, i'm gonna have to say go with the LR bible first, it's half the test so that's very important.

Also LR is a good place to start because the skills are extremely transferable into the LG and RC Section. I got about 1/3 into the LR bible and then slowly started adding in LG and then when I was about a little over half I started RC. No real method that is better than another, however, you don't want to go too long of period without seeing questions from a respective section. Overall, i recommend starting with LR and then from there, progress as you wish.

MARIALE

New

3 month study plan from THE PS using the 3 bibles

Postby MARIALE » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi everyone!!!
I just found a 3 month study plan from the PS. However, it is a little confusing, it says that I should study all three books simultaneously. I would not have a problem following their plan, but I'm afraid that it may confuses me more, since I'm new with all this. It also says to do homework using their books, and I only have the three bibles, I was thinking to purchase the workbooks as well. But in their study plan they use about 9 different books. I need an advice, I want to follow a good study plan, without getting lost in the process.

thank you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�