LSAT Prep Question

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ThatOneAfrican

New

LSAT Prep Question

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Ok so there's probably a post somewhere that answers this question, but I have so many screenshots and saved pages from this site that going through them all would be pretty time-consuming. So I'll just ask here.

I plan on taking the June LSAT next year and I just started my prep at the end of September. I remember reading somewhere about taking untimed PTs the first few months of your prep. But right now I'm still on, like, the 3rd chapter of the PS logic games Bible. I haven't started with any LR or RC books yet. I haven't even started drilling (cuz I haven't finished the chapter yet and I plan on drilling after each chapter).

With all that in mind, is there a point in doing an untimed PT at the end of the month? Should I just wait until I've done a few chapters on both LR and RC, to understand at least some of the basics? Or is it best to do a PT every month regardless of where I am in my prep?

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: LSAT Prep Question

Postby Deardevil » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Finish building your foundation first;
I recommend Manhattan Prep for LR and 7Sage for LG (you're better off learning on your own with RC, imo).

Drill intensively to get familiar with the nuances and nuisances of each section;
either LG or LR would be a good place to start unless you're already proficient in either.

Stress accuracy over speed, then move on to both;
it would be difficult to simultaneously get problems correct in a rapid manner, so keep them separate initially.

Finally, take timed PrepTests;
you would have to "sacrifice" older PTs for drilling purposes, so use the more recent ones (3X+) for guesstimating your performance.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for the advice! At what point do I do "untimed" whole preptests though? I know it'd be before I do timed ones, but do I do it some time during the drilling process or do I do it afterwards, right before the timed pts?

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:22 pm

You shouldn't do "untimed PrepTests..."
The purpose of doing a PT is to give the pressure of time.
With full tests, you might as well do them timed, but that's entirely up to you.

Untimed PTs would be equivalent to drilling.
After you understand the basics, you'll devote a lot of time to many LR question types.
What many do is group questions in sets from the early PTs and in an order of difficulty.
The point is to become aware of exactly what you'll be dealing with on the actual test day.

ThatOneAfrican

New

Postby ThatOneAfrican » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Ooh ok. I saw untimed pts mentioned in a bunch of other people's prep, so figured it was one of those things you need to do. And yeah, I plan to do drills after I finish the chapters on each question type for LR and LG. Thanks again for the advice!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�