Which way? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Which way?

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:59 pm

I went from drilling LR question types to completing untimed LR sections. I'll be continuing this for a few weeks.

For RC, I have completed timed passages (not sections), but should I now start timed sections?

For LG, I have focused solely on drilling game type, but should I now include timed sections?

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: Which way?

Post by Deardevil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Only if your accuracy is there. Otherwise, keep working on it.

I went in "blind" doing timed/pressured RC; kept getting -8, -10, or -12 and going over 35 minutes.
Was all over the place; I'm now happily averaging -3 after some fine-tuning WITH minutes to spare.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Deardevil wrote:Only if your accuracy is there. Otherwise, keep working on it.

I went in "blind" doing timed/pressured RC; kept getting -8, -10, or -12 and going over 35 minutes.
Was all over the place; I'm now happily averaging -3 after some fine-tuning WITH minutes to spare.
Excellent job! I meant to say untimed then timed. My sense is to start including untimed sections rather than focus on individual passages and games.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:03 pm

In that case, yup, that's the way to go! 8)

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:19 am

WeightliftingThinker wrote:I went from drilling LR question types to completing untimed LR sections. I'll be continuing this for a few weeks.

For RC, I have completed timed passages (not sections), but should I now start timed sections?

For LG, I have focused solely on drilling game type, but should I now include timed sections?

On average, how many points are you losing on each section? I wouldn't recommend moving on to timed sections until you're getting most questions right untimed. It's not really possible to practice accuracy and speed at the same time, and if you rush into practicing speed to early, you could potentially end up ingrained in certain bad habits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:I went from drilling LR question types to completing untimed LR sections. I'll be continuing this for a few weeks.

On average, how many points are you losing on each section? I wouldn't recommend moving on to timed sections until you're getting most questions right untimed. It's not really possible to practice accuracy and speed at the same time, and if you rush into practicing speed to early, you could potentially end up ingrained in certain bad habits.
LR: 7 (one section)
RC: 5 (guess)
LG: unsure since I've focused on game types

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm

WeightliftingThinker wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I think if you're scoring -7 on LR, there's definitely room for improvement in terms of accuracy. Have you been tracking which question types you get wrong? Look for any patterns and work on those types specifically. Go back and review the strategies, and do a handful of questions slowly and methodically, making sure to follow all the steps. Also, take your time going through every answer choice on all questions that you got wrong or struggled. Don't move on until you can articulate why each wrong answer doesn't work.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I think if you're scoring -7 on LR, there's definitely room for improvement in terms of accuracy. Have you been tracking which question types you get wrong? Look for any patterns and work on those types specifically. Go back and review the strategies, and do a handful of questions slowly and methodically, making sure to follow all the steps. Also, take your time going through every answer choice on all questions that you got wrong or struggled. Don't move on until you can articulate why each wrong answer doesn't work.
I have been tracking. It was only recently that I wrote more in-depth explanations for each question I got wrong. I paraphrase the argument and then break down the choices, explaining why each wrong one is wrong and the right one is right.

Do you recommend I review my write-up each day after I drill a section until I drill another section?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:31 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Blueprint Mithun,
At what point do you think is a good time to start doing timed sections? Like if I was averaging 4 wrong per LR section, is that a good point to start doing LR sections?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

I have been tracking. It was only recently that I wrote more in-depth explanations for each question I got wrong. I paraphrase the argument and then break down the choices, explaining why each wrong one is wrong and the right one is right.

Do you recommend I review my write-up each day after I drill a section until I drill another section?

It definitely couldn't hurt. I don't think doing actual write-ups is always necessary, unless it's a question that totally stumped you, or you find the answer choices very tricky. Don't spend too much time on just review - make sure you prioritizing practicing on more material as well.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

Blueprint Mithun,
At what point do you think is a good time to start doing timed sections? Like if I was averaging 4 wrong per LR section, is that a good point to start doing LR sections?

At that point you could start doing timed sections, but don't feel locked in. Remember that if you want to improve accuracy, untimed is the way to go. So be flexible and do untimed sections now and then as well.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

It definitely couldn't hurt. I don't think doing actual write-ups is always necessary, unless it's a question that totally stumped you, or you find the answer choices very tricky. Don't spend too much time on just review - make sure you prioritizing practicing on more material as well.
What do you think of 2 LR sections untimed per week?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:
Blueprint Mithun wrote:

What do you think of 2 LR sections untimed per week?

I think you should try to do more. It's ideal to put in some consistent practice as many days as possible than to do chunks of prep through the week. If you're trying to focus on improving in one section in particular, working on it every day will help you develop your skills much faster.

WeightliftingThinker

Bronze

Post by WeightliftingThinker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:57 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote: I think you should try to do more. It's ideal to put in some consistent practice as many days as possible than to do chunks of prep through the week. If you're trying to focus on improving in one section in particular, working on it every day will help you develop your skills much faster.
Sounds good. I tend to be cautious, so my concern is if I do more, I'll overload my brain and prevent myself from actually learning.

For a few weeks now, I've been doing two untimed LR sections per week while reviewing logical reasoning question types on other days. Almost daily, I do individual logic games (not sections) with some RC passages.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”