Disadvantages to the the Feb LSAT

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
yenisey

Bronze

Re: Disadvantages to the the Feb LSAT

Postby yenisey » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:07 am

hinton2014 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
hinton2014 wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:Feb. will be great if you want to apply for the following cycle. For this cycle, it's pretty late and I caution against it.

Feb. is nice for the following cycle if you feel prepared because you still have June/Sept./Dec. all for retakes. However, if you feel like you need more time to prepare then there is also no downside to just waiting until June. If you choose June > Feb. perhaps you can reduce your studying from its current level if you need to so you don't burnout. Of course, only if you are feeling the bern, though.

tl;dr I see no downside if applying next cycle

the BERN is real... hahah

I would prob take in June and then you have September in December.. Continue to study now--Having more time is only going to benefit you. Why rush? Study as if you are taking FEB and if you reach your target score on PTs by then go for it, but if not it will be a waste of a take. If you decide to take in June, the worst thing to do is put off studying now for a few months and try to cram. Rather study slowly and consistently over longer period of time

This is where I struggle most-- the want to cram. Throughout college thus far, I've been able to get through very well just cramming the night before. I realize the LSAT isn't like this, though.

Trust me man -- I was the exact same way in college. Now im in a master's program and finally learned that thats not the way it works. The LSAT is training your mind to grow stronger in order to perform at a higher caliber. If you are doing an ironman. if you just start training and train 24.7 the week of the race (hyperbole, i know, but you get the point) you aren't going to do well. Slow and steady is the way to go. Start now!! and its not too soon. A lot of people on TLS LSAT journeys to the high 170s/180 have been over the course of a yr. You have the luxury of having soo much time, I dont and wish I did. And if I were you, I would totally do as I recommended. YOu wont regret having more time.

But who knows, you can just be a natural genius and bust out a 175 first take in two months... idk , but at least start prepping now with L-Term strategy and if by FEB the test is easy for you and you have what yo uwant to score as your PT average, go for it. But, dont rush your time -table preemptively

I like the comparison to the Ironman, so thanks for that! I recognize I have to take my time and study hard over time for myself to truly learn it. I've started to study and actually don't mind it. It's somewhat fun, in the sense of knowing the work matters towards my future success in the career path I want to take. Thanks for the motivation!

If I take both Dec. and Feb. test, with the latter getting a significantly higher score, and some law school admits me based on the Dec. score, could I report the Feb. score as an effective leverage for more scholarship? And could a Feb. score of 170 obtain the same amount scholarship as a June, Sep. or Dec. score of 170?

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 am

yenisey wrote:If I take both Dec. and Feb. test, with the latter getting a significantly higher score, and some law school admits me based on the Dec. score, could I report the Feb. score as an effective leverage for more scholarship?

Yes.
yenisey wrote:And could a Feb. score of 170 obtain the same amount scholarship as a June, Sep. or Dec. score of 170?

Sure. Depends on how each school's class is shaping up though. They might be stingier or they might not be.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:15 am

Rigo wrote:
yenisey wrote:If I take both Dec. and Feb. test, with the latter getting a significantly higher score, and some law school admits me based on the Dec. score, could I report the Feb. score as an effective leverage for more scholarship?

Yes.
yenisey wrote:And could a Feb. score of 170 obtain the same amount scholarship as a June, Sep. or Dec. score of 170?

Sure. Depends on how each school's class is shaping up though. They might be stingier or they might not be.

I even took a June LSAT last year and was able to get full tuition up from 1/3 at the school I was deposited at. However, with the better score I just ended up reapplying completely. A higher score won't hurt you in any circumstance.

Jack_Irving

New

Postby Jack_Irving » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm

kindofcanuck wrote:
WeightliftingThinker wrote:Isn't it more likely that the Feb exam would have more challenging questions than the Sept one since more students apply for the Sept?

No.

The LSAT is scored on a bell curve. The idea is that someone in the top 20% on any one administration (including a properly prepared PT, which are simply old administrations) will also be top 20% on any other. They won't suddenly be top 5% or top 40%. If it varied like that, the entire nature of the standardised test would be pointless.

A February test is just a test, like any other. It isn't in any way special, different, or unusual. The only way a north american taker would experience a difference is that it's the only test where they'd never see what they got right or wrong. For Sabbath or International takers, there's not a jot of difference at all.

That would all be very nice if it were true, but it isn't. The data says so, not me.

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -14-01.pdf
"As shown in Figure 9, the score means follow a cyclic pattern. For first-time test takers, the means across testing years in descending order are 152.36 (June), 152.22 (September/October), 149.42 (December), and 148.20 (February). The pattern of score means is different for second- and third-time test takers than for first-time test takers. For second-time test takers, the means across testing years in descending order are 153.43 (September/October), 152.23 (December), 151.41 (June), and 148.74 (February). For third-time test takers, the score means across testing years in descending order are 150.42 (September/October), 150.20 (December), 148.47 (June), and 147.97 (February). Identical patterns were found in the previous report on this topic (Marcus et al., 2011). "

In comparison to other administrations, scores are consistently lower in Feb; this holds for first time test takers and well as those who take other administrations.

I've linked you to the data post-curve, so don't give me any of that

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:44 pm

But this overlooks the possibility that the pool of February takers differs from the takers for other test dates. Since the February test is so late in the cycle, it's likely made up of people who decided late in the game to go to law school and didn't prepare as extensively as people who took it earlier. It also doesn't tell you how many February takers are retakers, who probably have lower scores to begin with (or they wouldn't need to retake because they'd have done okay on the previous tests). If more people are retaking in February (in hopes of getting into something this cycle) than on the other dates, they may be dragging February scores down. With regard to K-JDs, prepping for February is probably harder than June or September, just based on where it is in the year.

The bar exam is sort of similar - February pass rates are always lower than July. But it's not because the test is qualitatively harder, it's because a lot of February takers are re-takers who have already shown themselves to struggle with the test.

dm1683

Silver

Postby dm1683 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:...it's because a lot of February takers are re-takers who have already shown themselves to struggle with the test.

...or are posters on TLS who get 95th percentile scores but have to retake in order to get guaranteed BIGLAW from a T6

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:09 pm

dm1683 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:...it's because a lot of February takers are re-takers who have already shown themselves to struggle with the test.

...or are posters on TLS who get 95th percentile scores but have to retake in order to get guaranteed BIGLAW from a T6

That's not a lot of people. Most TLSers leaning that direction know that the Feb exam is way too late in the game.

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:27 pm

The fact that it's nondisclosed probably deters a lot of the more serious test takers from signing up. I only wrote February because it was my third take.

AJordan

Bronze

Postby AJordan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am

Concur with the last few posts. People who have done serious research on law school applications likely aren't taking the FEB LSAT as a first go unless they're a cycle early and have had the time to prepare for whatever reason. Anecdotally I tested this month with a room full of people who seemed otherwise normal but gave a lot of the typical "there's no real way to study for the LSAT" "I'm just trying to get a score so I can apply now" preemptive excuses for scoring poorly. I didn't feel anyone I talked to had any real idea of what they were doing beyond "zomg law school apps need LSAT score!"

A June/September/December trio of scores seems to be something that a lot of the researched folks would navigate toward and thus those scores would run higher than FEB. This is obviously an assumption but the correlation cited here makes sense in that context.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�