What am I doing wrong?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
New_Spice180

Bronze

What am I doing wrong?

Postby New_Spice180 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:56 pm

After about 10 timed sections or so I'm still finding it strangely difficult finish timed LR sections completely! This is troubling because the test is in two months and I'm trying to whittle down on this issue in particular but it still persists! Help!

naht

New

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby naht » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:03 pm

I know this sounds really like common sense, but make sure you understand the stimulus completely before looking at answer cchoices. Ie, make sure you're comfortable with finding the conclusion and reasoning for every single argument before moving on. It surprisingly ends up saving a lot of time in the long run

New_Spice180

Bronze

Postby New_Spice180 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:09 pm

naht wrote:I know this sounds really like common sense, but make sure you understand the stimulus completely before looking at answer cchoices. Ie, make sure you're comfortable with finding the conclusion and reasoning for every single argument before moving on. It surprisingly ends up saving a lot of time in the long run

Yeah, I'm trying to be increasingly aware of how I feel when I do these timed sections. I definitely feel like I'm moving a bit too fast to grasp the entirety of the argument. I think it results from this need to just move through the questions. It's like when I'm moving on timed sections I'm so obsessed with time, it's almost as though it slows me down...quite the paradox, huh?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:14 pm

You just need to keep it up and keep reviewing/drilling Question-types and eventually your timing will prove. The more comfortable you are with Q-types the faster you will get through them.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:23 pm

10 times sections isn't a lot and 2 months is a long time to get better! Definitely not time to get discouraged.

Are you comfortable going only -1 or -2 doing untimed (not really more than 45 min or so)?

ivankasta

Bronze

Postby ivankasta » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:26 pm

New_Spice180 wrote:After about 10 timed sections or so I'm still finding it strangely difficult finish timed LR sections completely! This is troubling because the test is in two months and I'm trying to whittle down on this issue in particular but it still persists! Help!

Don't worry! A ton of people cannot finish LR when they begin taking timed sections. Fortunately, everyone can improve their time and, if enough practice is put in, everyone can finish on time.

It really comes down to becoming more familiar with the test. As you continue practicing, you'll begin to notice that certain LR questions appear time and time again with different words but the same content, so to speak. Once you become aware of these, there will be questions that you spend ~20-30 seconds on in every section. Some questions simply take a long time to do, but once you master the easier recurring questions, you will have time to do the tough ones and then some.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Agree with jagerbom and ivankasta.

I've been hitting RC questions hard lately, realizing they're not as bad as they seem. The familiarity is a huge factor.
Accuracy should be main focus. How's yours?
Take some time to get comfortable with the many question types LR presents, slowly working your way up.
Once accuracy is no longer an obstacle, speed can be improved.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Best way to drill, especially in the beginning, is not actually to just take timed sections.

Better: focus on LR question TYPES. Master them in order of frequency of appearance.

Bebop

New

Postby Bebop » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Voyager wrote:Best way to drill, especially in the beginning, is not actually to just take timed sections.

Better: focus on LR question TYPES. Master them in order of frequency of appearance.

This. But also consider which give you the most difficulty when ordering them.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Here is a lesser known guide I wrote on LSAT prep more broadly that hits on each section.

You might find it helpful...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7241&p=136016#p136016

New_Spice180

Bronze

Postby New_Spice180 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:03 pm

Whoa! So much great advice! Well I've spent a few months drilling actually, but maybe I've been stubborn to continue revisiting/practicing question types just because I've spent so much time drilling questions before moving to timed sections. So, on one hand I feel like drilling will definitely help, but on the other I feel like maybe I just need to more experience with timed pressure! Either way I'll go ahead and really get down on sufficient and necessary assumptions being that those are what I miss the most of.

In response to another poster above I tend to go a little slower than that but I'll hit about -3 or -4 untimed, I'm also trying to reduce that as well, however, maybe that number is telling of some underlying problems with my understanding of question types? As I stated in a previous post, logic games isn't my problem I've taken lion leaps in terms of that section it's timed LR sections that really punish me.

One poster recommended that I let the clock keep running. While I think this is a good idea, I feel like this allows for a bit of slack on my side, and allows me to slow down instead of pushing through the last 5-7 questions that I have on my section. I'm trying to find a scenario that doesn't give too much pressure but forces and allows me to get faster at the same time...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�