PT48.S4.Q26

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Barack Obama 2.0

New

PT48.S4.Q26

Postby Barack Obama 2.0 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 pm

This is a weakening question, I wouldn't call it a curve breaker question but it definitely gave me some trouble.

I know why (B) the credited response is correct, however I am having a tough time articulating why ( C ) is incorrect. This was attractive to me because I initially thought that non-rodent sample that the researcher used was not representative thus weakening the reasoning in the argument.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Re: PT48.S4.Q26

Postby kindofcanuck » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:This is a weakening question, I wouldn't call it a curve breaker question but it definitely gave me some trouble.

I know why (B) the credited response is correct, however I am having a tough time articulating why ( C ) is incorrect. This was attractive to me because I initially thought that non-rodent sample that the researcher used was not representative thus weakening the reasoning in the argument.

Because it isn't connected to her reasoning. The researcher was arguing that a non-rodent species was genetically as close to a rodent as other rodents, meaning that first rodent didn't have a common ancestor with the other rodents. B undermines that by providing an explanation. C doesn't matter. Even if other species have certain cell structures or not is irrelevant, you want something to do with genetic proximity of rodents, non-rodents, and their ancestors.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Re: PT48.S4.Q26

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:50 am

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:This is a weakening question, I wouldn't call it a curve breaker question but it definitely gave me some trouble.

The problem with C is that it doesn't tell us whether or not the non-rodent sample was representative. It tells us that she used the species that had the specific cell structure she wanted to analyze, but we don't know the significance of cell structure, such as whether it has any impact on genetics/ancestry. So it would take another leap of reasoning to claim that C tells us that the sample is unrepresentative. B, on the other hand, directly undermines the argument.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�