LR Timing Strategies for the most difficult questions

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SunDevil14

Bronze

LR Timing Strategies for the most difficult questions

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Currently, I am struggling to find the correct balance of speed and accuracy on LR sections. I average -3 on LR, furthermore the majority of the questions I get wrong come from questions 20+. Occasionally, I will miss one in the first 20. My problem is that in taking the time to make sure I get first 20 questions right, I feel rushed when It comes to the final 5 or 6 questions (which are often the most difficult). Furthermore, when time is not a concern I tend to get most if not all of them right in a blind review.

What are some good prep strategies and techniques for both having more time to tackle the hardest questions, and to improve accuracy?

-I have considered practicing LR sections in 30 minutes in order to force myself to make quick decision and move faster, especially on the first 20 questions

-Another approach I am considering is not to read all the answer choices for the first 10-15 questions, since the right answer can often be "eye-balled". Just pick the correct answer and move on. I feel that I may be able to net myself an additional minute doing so.

-If I find myself pressed for time on the final 5 questions, instead of answering all 5, then perhaps consider answering 4 thoroughly and guess on the 5th.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: LR Timing Strategies for the most difficult questions

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Currently, I am struggling to find the correct balance of speed and accuracy on LR sections. I average -3 on LR, furthermore the majority of the questions I get wrong come from questions 20+. Occasionally, I will miss one in the first 20. My problem is that in taking the time to make sure I get first 20 questions right, I feel rushed when It comes to the final 5 or 6 questions (which are often the most difficult). Furthermore, when time is not a concern I tend to get most if not all of them right in a blind review.

What are some good prep strategies and techniques for both having more time to tackle the hardest questions, and to improve accuracy?

-I have considered practicing LR sections in 30 minutes in order to force myself to make quick decision and move faster, especially on the first 20 questions

-Another approach I am considering is not to read all the answer choices for the first 10-15 questions, since the right answer can often be "eye-balled". Just pick the correct answer and move on. I feel that I may be able to net myself an additional minute doing so.

-If I find myself pressed for time on the final 5 questions, instead of answering all 5, then perhaps consider answering 4 thoroughly and guess on the 5th.

Do you implement a skipping strategy?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:46 pm

In the past I used to, but not since I have been able to finish the section in time (despite feeling a bit rushed at times).

I used to skip parallel reasoning and formal logical questions, not because they were terribly difficult but rather since they were the most time consuming. I'd return to them after finishing all other questions.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 am

SunDevil14 wrote:Currently, I am struggling to find the correct balance of speed and accuracy on LR sections. I average -3 on LR, furthermore the majority of the questions I get wrong come from questions 20+. Occasionally, I will miss one in the first 20. My problem is that in taking the time to make sure I get first 20 questions right, I feel rushed when It comes to the final 5 or 6 questions (which are often the most difficult). Furthermore, when time is not a concern I tend to get most if not all of them right in a blind review.

I'd recommend going back to skipping tough/time-consuming questions. It will help you maintain a more fluid rhythm, rather than hitting frequent blocks that you have to brute force your way through. I'd also recommend setting a benchmark or two, if you haven't already. Try to aim to have the first 10 questions completed in 10=12 minutes, so that you have plenty of time for the later, tougher questions.

One strategy I used in my last few weeks of prep was to compile the last 10 questions from 3 different LR sections, and do those as one "super-section" of sorts. I would loosely time myself on it, but the main goal was to expose myself to doing lots of tough LR questions in a row, so that I'd become more used to dealing with them. I think this helped me get better at handling complicated stimuli and detecting nuances in tough answer choices.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�