Cancel score when you know you did worse than your 4 year old score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
clamence01

New

Cancel score when you know you did worse than your 4 year old score?

Post by clamence01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm

I think I'm in a bit of an unusual situation. I took the LSAT nearly 4 years ago and scored a 171. I took it again Dec 2014 and got a 169. I just took the Sept test and am sure I did much worse. I ended up guessing on 9 or 10 in logic games (in part due to another test taker having issues and becoming a distraction right in front of me). I've never had to guess on more than 4 in games before. I felt moderately confident on the rest of the test and am usually -1 to -3 in each section (I've done every published practice - used to teach lsat).

I know and understand the advice is almost always don't cancel. But I've never seen a discussion of cancelling when your higher score is 4 years old. There is no way I got over a 171 on the September test, so I would only be keeping my score out of curiosity and to learn from my mistakes in other sections.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Re: Cancel score when you know you did worse than your 4 year old score?

Post by kindofcanuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:01 pm

clamence01 wrote:I think I'm in a bit of an unusual situation. I took the LSAT nearly 4 years ago and scored a 171. I took it again Dec 2014 and got a 169. I just took the Sept test and am sure I did much worse. I ended up guessing on 9 or 10 in logic games (in part due to another test taker having issues and becoming a distraction right in front of me). I've never had to guess on more than 4 in games before. I felt moderately confident on the rest of the test and am usually -1 to -3 in each section (I've done every published practice - used to teach lsat).

I know and understand the advice is almost always don't cancel. But I've never seen a discussion of cancelling when your higher score is 4 years old. There is no way I got over a 171 on the September test, so I would only be keeping my score out of curiosity and to learn from my mistakes in other sections.
I suppose it depends what you're using your score for.

If it's to apply to schools that average (the about 2 that do), cancelling might be a plan.

If it's to prove continued eligibility to teach, cancelling might be a plan if you're that sure it went badly.

If it's to apply to almost any school, why would you? Assuming you took a disclosed test, surely you'd need a significant down-side reason to cancel, and lose the information you get on what you got wrong?

clamence01

New

Post by clamence01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:36 pm

My goal is to apply to non YS top 10 schools. I have been unable to attend such in years past do to family circumstances and obligations. I guess my worry is that they might think that abilities change as you age and the current score may be more representative of my current abilities. I think its very likely that I got in the 164-166 range given that I had to guess on almost every question the last two games.

There was another major problem at the testing center too that affected multiple people, which I reported and apparently LSAC is investigating, so they extended my time to cancel until the conclusion of their investigation.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Post by kindofcanuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:44 pm

clamence01 wrote:My goal is to apply to non YS top 10 schools. I have been unable to attend such in years past do to family circumstances and obligations. I guess my worry is that they might think that abilities change as you age and the current score may be more representative of my current abilities. I think its very likely that I got in the 164-166 range given that I had to guess on almost every question the last two games.

There was another major problem at the testing center too that affected multiple people, which I reported and apparently LSAC is investigating, so they extended my time to cancel until the conclusion of their investigation.
They don't need to report your number attached to a date, just the highest number they're using. Which makes the highest one you have on file the one that matters.

I can see your concern, but I think you're crediting the adcoms with too much - altruism, almost. If your still-valid 171 would help their median, or better their 75th, they're likely to want you, assuming that isn't undone by your GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”