Dense reading suggestions?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gopack24377

New

Dense reading suggestions?

Postby gopack24377 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:09 pm

RC is my problem section. -5 to -8 on average. Does anyone have dense reading material they would suggest?

tskela

Bronze

Re: Dense reading suggestions?

Postby tskela » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:11 pm

lsat passages

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 am

Atlantic, Economist, New Yorker

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:09 am

Better Than Human by Allen Buchanan is a good mix of philosophy and science.

Anything by David Frieman will be good for politics, philosophy, and economics.

those are two that just stick out to me.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 am

Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged
Complete Series of Sherlock Holmes
The Count of Monte Cristo
Cloud Atlas
The Foundation Trilogy
Don Quixote

And of course:

WSJ, Economist, Scientific American, Financial Times ...

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 am

Plato's Dialogues. A lot of complicated arguments constructed from different viewpoints. Much of the Socratic method and line of questioning contains formal logical inferences, and in a sense Socrates talks you through the arguments.

Spinoza's Ethics. You would be hard pressed to find anything more dense and comprised of logical arguments. The work is dominated by a plethora of logical axioms which are then used to draw a abundance of inferences. Wrote in a way similar to eucalids geometry.

Honestly a lot of classical philosophy wouldn't hurt.

If any thing, may help you with lengthy paragraph'esque LR questions .

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:47 am

SunDevil14 wrote:Plato's Dialogues. A lot of complicated arguments constructed from different viewpoints. Much of the Socratic method and line of questioning contains formal logical inferences, and in a sense Socrates talks you through the arguments.

Spinoza's Ethics. You would be hard pressed to find anything more dense and comprised of logical arguments. The work is dominated by a plethora of logical axioms which are then used to draw a abundance of inferences. Wrote in a way similar to eucalids geometry.

Honestly a lot of classical philosophy wouldn't hurt.

If any thing, may help you with lengthy paragraph'esque LR questions .

100% Plato's Dialogues and Spinoza's ethics. I also like Descartes's Discourse on Methods and Meditations.

However, for RC practice, just stick with reading and getting good at actual LSAT passages. Ultimately that is what you have to get good at reading.

The good news is that there are plenty. I am working my way through the RC sections of PTS 1-38 in the Cambridge Packets. Slow and arduous, but I went from missing -10 to about -5. Hoping to eventually see a -0 on day, lol.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 am

A lot of good suggestions here, but ultimately, LSAT passages are the way to go.
I used to average maybe -10. Like Barack, I just kept going and evolving to a point where I'm now going -6.
If I could get -0 or -1 on the other two sections, -6 is fine with me, but I'm still working it down to at least -4.

Treat passages like games;
you'll see that, even though some are harder/denser than others, they're practically identical.
You redo games to get better at analytical reasoning; the same applies to reading comprehension.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 am

Without a doubt a doubt RC passages are best. Ultimately, If you are running out of fresh material, there is no harm in redoing a passage from several weeks or moth ago.

aaronbursar

New

Postby aaronbursar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 am

Nothing builds confidence for RC passages like a few pages of Finnegans Wake every week.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:15 pm

tskela wrote:lsat passages

Haha this is my philosophy as well.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Read an interesting, well-written novel, not dense political philosophy. Lol @ thinking Plato's Dialogues will directly benefit you in LR. Also, tons of real lsat passages.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:04 pm

maybeman wrote:Read an interesting, well-written novel, not dense political philosophy. Lol @ thinking Plato's Dialogues will directly benefit you in LR. Also, tons of real lsat passages.

lol what. how is reading a novel better than political philosophy to indirectly help with the LSAT?

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:32 pm

proteinshake wrote:
maybeman wrote:Read an interesting, well-written novel, not dense political philosophy. Lol @ thinking Plato's Dialogues will directly benefit you in LR. Also, tons of real lsat passages.

lol what. how is reading a novel better than political philosophy to indirectly help with the LSAT?

I think he/she means nothing's going to help you directly, so might as well read something enjoyable

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:46 pm

tskela wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I think he/she means nothing's going to help you directly, so might as well read something enjoyable

+1. Just my opinion though

trontastic

New

Postby trontastic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm going to +1 The Economist. Been reading that as I study for the June 2017 test.

I don't know if this is going to sound really basic, but something I've found helps with my reading comprehension is to try to engage the topic as if I was actually interested with it. I'm not sure if it's just because I was an Anthropology major (and we find everything interesting lol), but I find that engaging with material - even if it's plankton bloom or whatever - helps me get through it faster and with better retention.

Good luck! :D

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Capital by Piketty for Econ.

For novels: of course, Ulysses if you can stomach a little "stream of consciousness". Or Cloud Atlas (love that book)...seriously amazing novel. Most relevant is one subplot that uses a lot of "near-english" future-speak intended to simulate divergent linguistic evolution that's heavily phonetic and challenging. Good prep for !Kung-type passages.

Another two modernist novels that prep for something unique would be Jennifer Egan's A Visit From the Goon Squad (the last couple chapters have equally inaccessible dialogue) and, for a real trip, House of Leaves by Danielewski.

I'm a huge book nerd.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Agreeing with many ITT that philosophy books, anything from Plato to Sartre, helps with not being scared of passages loaded with big words and abstract ideas.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Postby nimbus cloud » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Last edited by nimbus cloud on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:01 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Capital by Piketty for Econ.

Oh I found that much easier to digest than any of the recent RC passages. Interesting read though.

I think it's an option for the non-econ/non-MBA types who might want something to get those particular gears turning to help address frequent econ-type passages that appear in RC.

You're right, it's not the hardest econ text out there, but I think it sits nicely on the "accessibility spectrum" between Das Kapital on the harder end and Freakonomics on the easier end.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am

The Glass Bead Game. Herman Hesse. God it is awful. If you put a gun to my head, I still would not be able to summarize the plot.

Seriously, though: RC is not about practicing reading "dense passages", it's about developing a repeatable method you use to identify critical information in the passage and then answer the questions correctly JUST LIKE REAL LAWYERS!

The amount that you take notes and the method you come up with is up to you, but without some sort of repeatable approach you will have difficulty getting a top RC score.

Treat RC just like the games: you use memorized frameworks to get perfect scores on the games, correct? Same thing here.

peachyjade

New

Postby peachyjade » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 pm

I personally think the best way to improve RC is to just drill and review LSAT passages, and constantly think about whether or not you are drilling and reviewing effectively.

I used to have more than 5 misses on RC too. Then on one afternoon, I put all the RC passages I had done in the previous week or so together and read all of them untimed, while writing down/drawing out their structures and constantly pushing myself to relate different parts of the passages to their MPs. This exercise helped me understand what I was doing wrong during timed sections, highlighted the type of passages that I was prone to miss the most points in, and pushed me to actively seek out strategies to deal with them.

I did this "attack a lot of LSAT passages" exercise probably two or three times this past summer. I can't say for sure if this exercise was the decisive factor. But at some point this past summer, I no longer felt overwhelmed by any passages and my RC performance improved--a -2 on a good day and a -4 on a bad day.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:55 am

peachyjade wrote:I did this "attack a lot of LSAT passages" exercise probably two or three times this past summer. I can't say for sure if this exercise was the decisive factor. But at some point this past summer, I no longer felt overwhelmed by any passages and my RC performance improved--a -2 on a good day and a -4 on a bad day.

I've done this same thing; worked for me!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�