When should I retake?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
Mr. Momo

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm

When should I retake?

Postby Mr. Momo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 pm

I came out of the September test feeling awful. I usually do pretty well on RC and LR but due to the stress of test day, I went in kind of dazed. I had trouble focusing and relaxing, so I'm not entirely sure how I did. And the LG could've been either really bad or really good. Overall, I'm just really unsure so I was thinking of registering for the December test just in case.

But now that I think about it, do you guys think the December test is too soon? A score of 163 would be fine with me, and I usually average that on PTs. The highest I ever PTed was a 167. The schools I'm aiming for are BC / BU.

But yeah, do people usually re-register this soon or would it be a better idea to try again next year? Also, would I significantly lose out on scholarship money if I apply with the December score?

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:50 pm

Wait until you get your score back before making any decisions/start studying again. For all you know, you scored your highest score ever. Everyone feels like they did poorly when they leave the LSAT.

User avatar
Mr. Momo

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby Mr. Momo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

RamTitan wrote:Wait until you get your score back before making any decisions/start studying again. For all you know, you scored your highest score ever. Everyone feels like they did poorly when they leave the LSAT.


The only problem is that seats run out quickly in my city. All the other ones are about an hour away :/

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Mr. Momo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Wait until you get your score back before making any decisions/start studying again. For all you know, you scored your highest score ever. Everyone feels like they did poorly when they leave the LSAT.


The only problem is that seats run out quickly in my city. I registered super early for the September test and snagged the last spot that was close by. All the others were about an hour away.

Depends on how long you've already been studying and how dead-set you are on going to school next fall. You'll get different advice from everyone, but I'm an advocate of the slow and steady approach, and would advise you to consider taking it in June if you feel you need to retake.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm

If money is not an issue, then sign up and withdraw depending on whether you like your original score or need more time before a retake. Ideally you should wait until you have scored the highest possible for your abilities. That being said there is not an infinite amount of time. So retake when you are comfortable and satisfied with the average scores on your PT's.

I got a 160 originally in February, and believed I could do better. Was signed up for the September test but was averaging 168, so decided to postpone until December, at which point it is sudden death. I do not want to sit out another cycle.

User avatar
Mr. Momo

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby Mr. Momo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 pm

RamTitan wrote:
Mr. Momo wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Wait until you get your score back before making any decisions/start studying again. For all you know, you scored your highest score ever. Everyone feels like they did poorly when they leave the LSAT.


The only problem is that seats run out quickly in my city. I registered super early for the September test and snagged the last spot that was close by. All the others were about an hour away.

Depends on how long you've already been studying and how dead-set you are on going to school next fall. You'll get different advice from everyone, but I'm an advocate of the slow and steady approach, and would advise you to consider taking it in June if you feel you need to retake.


I studied for four months from June to September with no job and no obligations. I feel like I had hit a plateau in my scores. It stays pretty constantly in the lower to mid 160 ever since I started PTing in August. LR is usually -4 to -5 (for each section). RC usually also the same. LG is the one that varies. It's my weakest section and I've done almost all the games and repeated many. I'm usually okay until you hit me with something extra hard.

I do want to go to school asap though, and I don't know how to continue improving my score :/

User avatar
Mr. Momo

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby Mr. Momo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:27 am

SunDevil14 wrote:If money is not an issue, then sign up and withdraw depending on whether you like your original score or need more time before a retake. Ideally you should wait until you have scored the highest possible for your abilities. That being said there is not an infinite amount of time. So retake when you are comfortable and satisfied with the average scores on your PT's.

I got a 160 originally in February, and believed I could do better. Was signed up for the September test but was averaging 168, so decided to postpone until December, at which point it is sudden death. I do not want to sit out another cycle.



Oh nice. 168 would be a dream score for me. What are your average scores for each section?

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Mr. Momo wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:If money is not an issue, then sign up and withdraw depending on whether you like your original score or need more time before a retake. Ideally you should wait until you have scored the highest possible for your abilities. That being said there is not an infinite amount of time. So retake when you are comfortable and satisfied with the average scores on your PT's.

I got a 160 originally in February, and believed I could do better. Was signed up for the September test but was averaging 168, so decided to postpone until December, at which point it is sudden death. I do not want to sit out another cycle.



Oh nice. 168 would be a dream score for me. What are your average scores for each section?


My problem is consistency on the LR section sometimes I do well -3 or less and sometimes I do poorly -5 or more. I'd say that my averages look something like:

LR 1: -5
LR 2: -3
RC: -4
LG: -0

I have not taken a PT in over a week, and have been really improving on RC individual sections lately (A lot of -2's), I hoping for a new personal best 172 on my next PT.

User avatar
Mr. Momo

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby Mr. Momo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:37 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
Mr. Momo wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:If money is not an issue, then sign up and withdraw depending on whether you like your original score or need more time before a retake. Ideally you should wait until you have scored the highest possible for your abilities. That being said there is not an infinite amount of time. So retake when you are comfortable and satisfied with the average scores on your PT's.

I got a 160 originally in February, and believed I could do better. Was signed up for the September test but was averaging 168, so decided to postpone until December, at which point it is sudden death. I do not want to sit out another cycle.



Oh nice. 168 would be a dream score for me. What are your average scores for each section?


My problem is consistency on the LR section sometimes I do well -3 or less and sometimes I do poorly -5 or more. I'd say that my averages look something like:

LR 1: -5
LR 2: -3
RC: -4
LG: -0

I have not taken a PT in over a week, and have been really improving on RC individual sections lately (A lot of -2's), I hoping for a new personal best 172 on my next PT.


I'm about the same for LR and about a point or two less on RC. LG is the real issue for me. I know that it should be super learnable (and I've been using 7sage videos), but the real problem is when the super hard problems come up (like the dinosaurs, or grouping games without a reasonable amount of hypotheticals).

On a separate note, I signed up for December last night! It's good to have that out of the way, but do you think it's okay to continue studying again only after I see my scores for September? Ideally I should start now, but honestly I'm feeling a bit tired of the test, and I'm holding out quite a bit of hope for my September scores haha.

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: When should I retake?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Try just easing your way back into it. Maybe only a hour or so a day for the first week, then pick up the pace. Although, you do not want to burn out, so perhaps several more days off is best. Ultimately you are the best judge of that.

What exactly do you mean by your LG comment? Is it that "more difficult" or unusual games throw you off or that you struggle with a particular game type?



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests