15+ points in 10 weeks?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
burnedoutteacher

New

15+ points in 10 weeks?

Postby burnedoutteacher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 pm

I'm scheduled to take the December 3rd LSAT. Is it possible to improve my score by 15-18 points in 10 weeks? Also, what is better Testmasters or 7sage? Thanks.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Re: 15+ points in 10 weeks?

Postby kindofcanuck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 pm

You posted before about needing to go from 144 to 162. You want to go from 23rd percentile to 85th. That is an absolutely massive jump, and pretty much by definition, it was straightforward, everyone would be doing it.

At your current level, you have fundamental flaws in reasoning (and based on your prior posts, timing) to overcome. On the one hand, you're at a level where minor improvement can lead to a substantial score increase (increasing 15 points from 140 should be easier than increasing 15 from 160), but on the other you really are asking a lot of yourself.

At your current level (based on earlier post), you're getting just over half the test wrong. Is this concentrated? If you have nearly perfect LG and RC, but atrocious LR, that would generate that score, but so would getting 50% on every one of the four sections, and the two would need very different approaches.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:49 pm

If you can make a 15+ point jump in 10 weeks, you probably have a higher potential for this test than December would allow you to reach.

Either way, TCR is don't take in December

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:02 pm

tskela wrote:If you can make a 15+ point jump in 10 weeks, you probably have a higher potential for this test than December would allow you to reach.

Either way, TCR is don't take in December

I'll second these comments above me and add a few things... But I'd really like to emphasize something Tskela said, which is if you can go 15 points in 10 weeks, you are better off studying until Feb/June and reaching a 170 because it would seem you aren't reaching your potential.

It is a big jump. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely, no... Not with a diagnostic in the 140s-150s.

I heartily recommend 7Sage and The LSAT Trainer or Manhattan LSAT Prep.

I raised my score from a 151 to about a 164 in about 10 weeks of using 7Sage so big increases are certainly possible with hard work!

In any case, don't register for an LSAT until you have reached your score goal a few times.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:55 pm

burnedoutteacher wrote:I'm scheduled to take the December 3rd LSAT. Is it possible to improve my score by 15-18 points in 10 weeks? Also, what is better Testmasters or 7sage? Thanks.

It largely depends on what your current score is. If you're scoring, say, below the low 150s, then it is certainly possible with a lot of hard work. As you can imagine, score increases are harder to earn the higher up you go. If you're still at the stage where you haven't learned much of the material or spent significant time drilling, then you still have lots of opportunities to improve.

In any case, I wouldn't advise that you take the test until you are scoring near your target score. It's more important that you set a goal and take the test when you are scoring near that range than to fixate upon a specific date as your only option.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:41 pm

There are diminishing returns when it comes to improving your score. Theoretically, the higher the score the more time it takes to move up another point. Your aptitude will determine that time scale.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:22 pm

I went from a 146 to a 169 (and did a retake last week, so hopefully even higher); it is definitely doable, but I'm not sure about your timetable. For example, it took me about 4 months of studying 10-15 hours a week to break into the 160 range. I am strongly against doing 8 hour study sessions, as I believe this test is asking you to learn a way of thinking which requires time to develop, a lot of which comes through osmosis.

My best advice is to just start studying, and not necessarily give yourself a date to take the test. Maybe consider June 2017, as that should be enough time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�