LSAT test center error/ irregularity

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DCPTH

New

LSAT test center error/ irregularity

Postby DCPTH » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 am

Hi,

Sat for the 09/24 administration. Experienced some bananas irregularities during the administration. Essentially our proctors really had no idea what they were doing, as we were given multiple test booklets and told that we'd be using a different booklet for each section of the exam along with a separate answer sheet for each section. In the middle of the second section, news that these faulty instructions had been given to exam takers by the proctors reached a higher up at the test center. So, in the middle of the second section, we were told to stop working while the "extra" booklets we'd been given were collected along with the "extra" answer sheets (I know, they have serial numbers ... I know, I know. proctors would not listen to one student's objections...). After the extras were collected, we were told to revert back to using the first booklet and answer sheet and the clock was reset on the section. It all really messed with my focus and my concentration.

I heard that all of this was reported to LSAC by managers at the test center.

Hardly a standardized test if you ask me.

Does anyone know what to expect? Ever heard of such nonsense? Should I report this to LSAC? If so, will I have to wait until December to retake? Do alternative exams exist that can be given to takers in my group who were impacted? Also wondering if LSAC might acknowledge this as a doozy of an error on the test center's part and cancel the scores for all test takers in the room. Anyone ever heard of that happening?

Waiting to retake the exam in december will be a real struggle of me for reasons that are probably clear to fellow applicants and other reasons I won't get into for the sake of being brief.

lillawyer2

Silver

Re: LSAT test center error/ irregularity

Postby lillawyer2 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 am

Sorry, no real advice. I just wanted to write that I'm sorry this happened to you and the other test takers.

How could the proctors be so incompetent?

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 am

Sorry, that sucks. I had test center irregularities as well and did my research on it, in addition to my experience.

It seems overwhelmingly likely that LSAC will not cancel all scores automatically. I think they'll only do anything about the scores of people who report the test center.

There's no extra test that they'll allow you to take before December.

What they'll likely do (this is what they did for me) is respond to your report and say they are doing a review. They will give you the option to cancel your score in a few weeks when their review is done (no 7 day cancel window), but you won't be able to see your score before cancelling. The most they can do is offer to put a letter in your file saying there were test irregularities.

Also reporting a problem will likely delay your score release (mine was delayed 1-2 weeks?)

Sorry. There's no great outcome.

smashbash

Bronze

Postby smashbash » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:38 am

I haven't had personal experience with this, but I did see a conversation on Twitter between Dave Killoran and someone who took the Sept 24 LSAT. She was asking for advice on what to do because the proctors that she had only put 30 minutes on the clock for one of the sections and when the test takers realized and said something, the proctors replied with "5 minutes doesn't make a difference anyways." He told her to file a complaint with LSAC through this link http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/policies/te ... m-policies and said that they may give credit for 2 questions for that section, retake Dec LSAT for free, and put a note in her file, but obviously he didn't know for sure. I'm assuming that's based on past similar situations. I recall him saying to try and get others who took the test as well to file complaints, if possible. Hope that helps! If you follow him on Twitter you can see the whole conversation (it was on the 24th).

smashbash

Bronze

Postby smashbash » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 am

On a side note, since they interrupted you guys midway through the section and then restarted the clock, does that mean that you all got an extra 15 minutes? Because as much as it sucks that they would mess up your concentration flow, I'm a little jealous if you got an extra 15! :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�