Brooklyn College September 2016 - proctors from hell

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AA1009

New

Brooklyn College September 2016 - proctors from hell

Postby AA1009 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 pm

New to TLS! Anybody here took the LSAT yesterday at Brooklyn College?

I had 4 proctors and they were running around the front of the room and whispering to each other very loudly. In fact 3 of them were talking while the timekeeper was reading the instructions. The absolute lack of respect was appalling. I raised my hand hoping to let them know that the talking is very distracting, but they were so busy talking that not one of them saw me raising my hand (I was wearing a bright orange sweater). After I wasted a good minute or two trying to get their attention, I gave up.

Oh and they tried to give us the wrong (4-digit) test center code. I saved the day by pointing out that it is a 5-digit code which is on our ticket. But how is it that 4 proctors don't even have the correct information???

I am drafting my formal complaint to LSAC and hoping to get another chance. Hoping to find others who were there that could support my claim.
Last edited by AA1009 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ndp1234

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn College September 2016 - proctors from hell

Postby ndp1234 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:44 pm

I didn't take the LSAT yesterday but I have plenty of experience with this "test center"

I would just like to add that, although I've taken both the LSAT & MPRE (and any respective retakes) at Brooklyn College (mostly because I can't deny a 5 minute commute), it is a truly horrible test center with poorly trained/borderline rude and aggressive proctors. But I kind of took it for what it was, since I grew up in this area, I wasn't expecting much less. (I don't live near a subway and my commutes elsewhere are over an hour out, so the convenience factor was a major determining factor with the hope the experience would exceed these very low expectations).

When I took the LSAT over 3 years ago, they never even gave the five minute warning and then spent time arguing about what should be done with three minutes left. I lost concentration and couldn't continue on. I actually complained to LSAC about this and the only option they gave was whether to cancel my score and re-register free of charge because they did some statistical analyses and it noted that there were no irregularities advantaged or disadvantaged test takers under the circumstances. The cancellation would be noted that it was a candidate action so I decided against it (and I partially did not want to take it in October due to my particular circumstances). Just wanted to provide some insight if you did want to formally complain to LSAC.

PM me if you want to see the formal letter LSAC sent back to me for reference.

Good luck! And so sorry this happened to you during such a stressful time!

AA1009

New

Re: Brooklyn College September 2016 - proctors from hell

Postby AA1009 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:14 pm

ndp1234 wrote:I didn't take the LSAT yesterday but I have plenty of experience with this "test center"

I would just like to add that, although I've taken both the LSAT & MPRE (and any respective retakes) at Brooklyn College (mostly because I can't deny a 5 minute commute), it is a truly horrible test center with poorly trained/borderline rude and aggressive proctors. But I kind of took it for what it was, since I grew up in this area, I wasn't expecting much less. (I don't live near a subway and my commutes elsewhere are over an hour out, so the convenience factor was a major determining factor with the hope the experience would exceed these very low expectations).

When I took the LSAT over 3 years ago, they never even gave the five minute warning and then spent time arguing about what should be done with three minutes left. I lost concentration and couldn't continue on. I actually complained to LSAC about this and the only option they gave was whether to cancel my score and re-register free of charge because they did some statistical analyses and it noted that there were no irregularities advantaged or disadvantaged test takers under the circumstances. The cancellation would be noted that it was a candidate action so I decided against it (and I partially did not want to take it in October due to my particular circumstances). Just wanted to provide some insight if you did want to formally complain to LSAC.

PM me if you want to see the formal letter LSAC sent back to me for reference.

Good luck! And so sorry this happened to you during such a stressful time!

Thank you so much for your response. I also grew up in the neighborhood, went to Brooklyn public schools and don't typically get bothered by rude behavior, but i just could never possibly conceive that proctors could talk among themselves during an exam. It just seems like such a basic expectation. I now live in Manhattan and all the Manhattan centers were taken when I registered. I figured BK College would be my best option since I'd be able to visit my parents who live 10 mins away, have mom feed me breakfast and dad drive me. I deeply regret not reading all the horrible reviews about this test center. I would really appreciate it if you could share that letter with me. PMing you now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�