What to do from here?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
myk247

New

What to do from here?

Postby myk247 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 am

Hi,

I've been studying LSAT for almost a year, started at 134 cold and now get about low 160s.
This September test was my first LSAT, and I just had my exam canceled because I ran out of time on Game section. I didn't think time pressure for me was that serious matter during the prep because most of the time I can finish it under the time limit. The time is also always up when I'm on like question 20-21 for LR. I was shocked how miserably I ruined the test and failed to apply for early action therefore.

I ran through Blueprint online LSAT twice, did all the PTs (1-77), and Cambridge drilling.

I think of doing PT twice a week and meanwhile trying to do some drills on LR and Game but doing timed Game section every day. Is there any tip/advice? I'm really devastated and dying to get 170.

p.s: I also am aware that my diagnostic score was low, but I really would appreciate some advice other than saying I wouldn't be able to do it. Not that I don't want realistic advice, but because I'm writing to here to get advice I can use while continuing to work hard.
Last edited by myk247 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Re: What to do from here?

Postby kindofcanuck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:24 am

myk247 wrote:Hi,

I've been studying LSAT for almost a year, started at 134 cold and now get about low 160s.
This September test was my first LSAT, and I just had my exam canceled because I ran out of time on Game section. I didn't think time pressure for me was that serious matter during the prep because most of the time I can finish it under the time limit. The time is also always up when I'm on like question 20-21 for LR. I was shocked how miserably I ruined the test and failed to apply for early action therefore.

I ran through Blueprint online LSAT twice, did all the PTs (1-77), and Cambridge drilling.

I think of doing PT twice a week and meanwhile trying to do some drills on LR and Game but doing timed Game section every day. Is there any tip/advice? I'm really devastated and dying to get 170.

You began at 134. Even stone cold, that's lower than most people diagnose. You're aiming to score top 2%. That's not necessarily impossible, but strongly implies that you might be reaching a bit far (although yes, everyone should aim for 180, most people realistically expect less).

Low 160s means getting about 20 questions wrong. Time limit will almost certainly be harder in the real thing than on practice, simply due to the extra weight of actually mattering. You can run out of time on games and easily get a 160 if you're putting in the work to correctly answer the questions you did answer.

You've also used all the test materials. In order to practice with something genuine and new, you will need to wait, and get one new test a quarter. Your practices, at far greater frequency, will artificially inflate your scores because of familiarity with the questions.

My advice is to not have cancelled, because what you probably want is to get a score, unless you've got your heart set on somewhere that averages.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:28 am

I'd also add, you seem to have procrastination issues. In July 2015 you were planning to write Oct 15 (studying since Jan 15), in Jan 16 you were going for June (after studying for 5 months - since Aug 15), and now you've just written your first one in Sept 16? Pick a date. Aim for it. Don't second guess yourself too much after it.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:05 am

Last edited by HYPSM on Sun May 21, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myk247

New

Postby myk247 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:40 am

I really didn't write here to hear that I can't do something, but to hear some constructive advice. Thank you for your opinion though.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Postby kindofcanuck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 am

myk247 wrote:I really didn't write here to hear that I can't do something, but to hear some constructive advice. Thank you for your opinion though.

You've been given constructive advice, by two different people. It began with: Have realistic aims. It then moved on to concerns about how you were trying to go about achieving them.

Misleading you about possibilities and giving you false assurances there was an easy way to achieve what you want would not be remotely constructive.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 am

Hey! Well, first off, that test yesterday was definitely brutal, and since it was your first LSAT that you canceled, I don't think you should feel too bad about canceling it. You've got a couple more tries left.

I think mastering logic games (especially since apparently English isn't your first language?) is your best bet for a score increase, which means aiming for -0 or -1--but based on these past few PTs, that also is going to mean that, in the event that LSAC does decide to continue throwing weird games at us, you are fast enough to go through three logic games to see a weird game, freak out, but then get over that initial panic quickly and be able to calmly figure the game out anyway (since that what's LG seems to have turned into now..) When you ran out of time yesterday, was it because G4 was terrible or because you genuinely didn't leave enough time for it (at least 6-8 minutes left)? If you ran out of time before you even reached G4, then you should drill games a lot more, untimed, to get more comfortable with them timed. It helps to do the same game multiple times until you can do the game in the time limit you want to. When you come across a game that's really tough, save it and try again the next day, then a few days later, then a week later, until you truly know you've mastered it. Also, master the weird games (one from PT 72 and one from PT 77, and yesterday's game when it gets released). Also, I recommend 7sage videos for improving LG.

As for LR, drill drill drill, but since you've seen the questions, make sure that you can actually explain why you're picking the answer you are, and be able to explain why the wrong answers are wrong--POE is key in LR, and it's very important to be able to recognize wrong answers. If you can learn to recognize and eliminate wrong answers, that'll help you a lot there. Again, be careful that you can actually explain to yourself (pretend you're teaching someone else) why each answer choice is wrong or right, and review all choices until you're so comfortable with LR you can quickly eliminate wrong answers because you recognize them as "classic wrong answers."

I can't help with RC much besides to say that you should read for structure and opinions.

Actually, this all also depends on what your strongest section is as well (though LG really is the best section to improve IMO), since that'll be the section you have the biggest capacity to improve, so think about that in your studying as well. Since you've seen all the questions before, it might even help to impose stricter time limits on yourself during PTs (maybe later on when you improve accuracy more) to 30 minutes per section.

A 170 is pretty high to aim for for anyone, so just prepare yourself for maybe getting in the mid 160s if that doesn't work out. You've come a long way so don't be too down. As other posters are saying, pick a date, stick to it, and maybe take a break from studying for a bit so you also have a break from the material.

myk247

New

Postby myk247 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Studyingeveryday,

Thank you so much for this. I kept thinking yesterday and figured out I should spend more time on reviewing then I used to. I really appreciate it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�