To Cancel or Not To Cancel Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
asdkfn;asdknf;as

New

To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Post by asdkfn;asdknf;as » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to gage opinions on whether I should cancel my score. I’ve been studying since March and really thought I was ready, however I got very thrown off during the LG section (I am sure it was not an experimental section) and left an entire game blank. In addition, I experienced some serious trouble with one of my reading comprehension passages. (I usually get -0-2 in RC sections on PTs) I also had some minor bubbling errors. As a result of these two things, I can almost guarantee there is no way my score will even be close to my goal/ will differ significantly from where I was typically testing with PTs. I don’t normally get test day jitters and usually do really well with standardized tests, and I am definitely not thinking I did worse that I actually did. Will it look super sketchy if I cancel and take it again? Or should I wait it out and possibly have a terrible score on my record. I’m looking to go to a T-14, and have been PTing in the high 160s into the 170s…if I had to guess, my score from this test will probably fall into the 150s. Thanks.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: To Cancel or Not To Cancel

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:17 pm

asdkfn;asdknf;as wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to gage opinions on whether I should cancel my score. I’ve been studying since March and really thought I was ready, however I got very thrown off during the LG section (I am sure it was not an experimental section) and left an entire game blank. In addition, I experienced some serious trouble with one of my reading comprehension passages. (I usually get -0-2 in RC sections on PTs) I also had some minor bubbling errors. As a result of these two things, I can almost guarantee there is no way my score will even be close to my goal/ will differ significantly from where I was typically testing with PTs. I don’t normally get test day jitters and usually do really well with standardized tests, and I am definitely not thinking I did worse that I actually did. Will it look super sketchy if I cancel and take it again? Or should I wait it out and possibly have a terrible score on my record. I’m looking to go to a T-14, and have been PTing in the high 160s into the 170s…if I had to guess, my score from this test will probably fall into the 150s. Thanks.
if youre sure about scoring so low and know you can do better and have time to retake, go for it. general consensus so far is that this test was more difficult compared to others. i took it was well. cant speak for the other sections but my LG seemed unusual as well.

asdkfn;asdknf;as

New

Post by asdkfn;asdknf;as » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:23 pm

I'm taking a gap year so I definitely have the time. And yeah, LG was my worst section so I had really been focusing my prep on that, even with that focus this section seriously threw me for a loop.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Sorry this happened to you OP. This is example #1 why people post what are my chances threads like oh I'm totally practice testing 175 ill def get a 170. Truly sorry but if you have a few retakes left, maybe wait and see what your score is. if you only have 1 retake left, probably better to cancel. Leaving blank a whole game plus 2-3 more wrong elsewhere already maxes a score out at 170. So yeah cancel is the advice here.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:39 pm

grades?? wrote:Sorry this happened to you OP. This is example #1 why people post what are my chances threads like oh I'm totally practice testing 175 ill def get a 170. Truly sorry but if you have a few retakes left, maybe wait and see what your score is. if you only have 1 retake left, probably better to cancel. Leaving blank a whole game plus 2-3 more wrong elsewhere already maxes a score out at 170. So yeah cancel is the advice here.
yeah, this too. if it was your 1st then keep the score no matter what. showing improvement doesn't boost your chances but it does kind of negate your first bad score. it'd be a waste not to get the disclosed test and be able to review a real test. that kind of resource is invaluable

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

asdkfn;asdknf;as

New

Post by asdkfn;asdknf;as » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
grades?? wrote:Sorry this happened to you OP. This is example #1 why people post what are my chances threads like oh I'm totally practice testing 175 ill def get a 170. Truly sorry but if you have a few retakes left, maybe wait and see what your score is. if you only have 1 retake left, probably better to cancel. Leaving blank a whole game plus 2-3 more wrong elsewhere already maxes a score out at 170. So yeah cancel is the advice here.
yeah, this too. if it was your 1st then keep the score no matter what. showing improvement doesn't boost your chances but it does kind of negate your first bad score. it'd be a waste not to get the disclosed test and be able to review a real test. that kind of resource is invaluable

So it is my first time taking it, but I am really apprehensive about how low my score is going to be, and what it will look like having to send that. I intend to do even more prep this time around (but like I said, I wasn't slacking, I just had what can only be called a bad day) Like what looks worse, a cancel and a high score, or a low score and a high score?

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:49 pm

OP - I canceled my first score b/c I similarly skipped an entire game because of nerves. Did way better my second time, and then took it a third time to get the score I wanted.

Cancelling isn't looked on as "sketchy" at all, so don't freak out

asdkfn;asdknf;as

New

Post by asdkfn;asdknf;as » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:50 pm

sweets91 wrote:

OP - I canceled my first score b/c I similarly skipped an entire game because of nerves. Did way better my second time, and then took it a third time to get the score I wanted.

That's nice to hear, thanks!! Also nice job getting your target score :D

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:53 pm

asdkfn;asdknf;as wrote:
sweets91 wrote:

That's nice to hear, thanks!! Also nice job getting your target score :D
Thanks! I kept my second score, even knowing it wasn't going to be my best score, because I knew it wasn't too bad. With the first time, though, I KNEW wasn't even close to what I wanted.

Generally, the advice here is to be absolutely sure that it's not just post-test anxiety that's making you feel you did worse than you did. If you know that you screwed up, though (and it seems like you're sure), then cancelling isn't a problem (especially because this is your first time).

People cancel for all kinds of reasons - feeling sick, having to go to the bathroom (a person in my testing room actually ran out like 5x b/c I guess he had some sort of stomach flu or food poisoning, and I hope he cancelled lol), and you won't need to specify why you cancelled anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:55 pm

asdkfn;asdknf;as wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

So it is my first time taking it, but I am really apprehensive about how low my score is going to be, and what it will look like having to send that. I intend to do even more prep this time around (but like I said, I wasn't slacking, I just had what can only be called a bad day) Like what looks worse, a cancel and a high score, or a low score and a high score?
I'd gauge them to look the same in terms of affecting your application outcomes. My point was that canceling means you wont get the score report which shows what questions you missed in each section. That's VERY helpful to studying for future tests.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:00 pm

I have a funny feeling I know which game threw you off.....drill older games to prepare for next time. Trust me, this is the best way to get good at logic games

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Similar thing happened to me and I have been PTing Avg of last 6 at 173.5. This test seems to be an extremely difficult one and a lot of people are having similar apprehensions. I def didn't get to do enough PTs in full before this test and I feel like that was the reason I had a game and passage issue similar to yourself, although, I did get through both of them just not as confidently as I usually finish the section. I wouldn't be super super surprised if i did bad, but then when I think about it, I am like I got through it and didn't freak out so i could have pulled it off and been really clutch. Depending on your confidence, i would hold the score. This is my first take and i feel like while the test shook me up a bit, the probability of me doing better more likely than not so Im def sitting and waiting. Also, there is the element of luck that you could have pulled it off. However, if you just skipped it completely blindly and christmas treed then I would be more inclined to cancel. It's pretty natural to think you failed something because it kicked you in the balls but you actually pulled it off. we all experienced something similar in undergrad. If you are 100% sure thats not the case, then cancel, but if you are just unsure and worried I would stick it out. From what I hear, highest score matters, and thats the most important.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you cancel that still counts as a take, so if you cancel schools will still know you did bad(not the number per se) and you lost a take, so maybe gambling and praying for the best, is your best bet. There is always a story you can tell to explain the improvement and that is very easily done if your next take you blow it out of the water. I don't think it would hinder your chances at all. except show you worked your butt off to achieve what you did instead of being that 'genius" who crushes it first take no big deal

Best of luck to you!

bpbpbp

New

Post by bpbpbp » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:38 pm

totally feeling the same way after the test. was scoring about mid 160s. but knew i bombed at least one questions each for LG sections and one of the RC passages. studied quite a lot leading up to the test and also took 20+ PTs.
concerned that i won't be able to keep up the studying (was doing 20+ hours each week for two months) and I've done so many PTs- is it ok to take the tests i've already taken over again? (I tend to remember the answer as soon as I read a familiar questions).
also how do you know if its the experimental section?
feeling like cancelling is the right thing to do, since i think that i could do better (esp on RC)... but would appreciate more thoughts as I only have one more day to make the decision!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”