How thoroughly do you eliminate incorrect answer choices?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

How thoroughly do you eliminate incorrect answer choices?

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 pm

When I read explanations for LR answer choices, they are often very thorough, and I'm just wondering how often you are able to actually process those details during the test.

For some answer choices, I can run thoroughly through why they're incorrect, but much of the time, it would take too much time to absolutely 100% convince myself of why it's wrong. I treat them as incorrect not for a super specific and detailed reason as to why they're wrong, certainly not like the detailed explanations I've seen on various websites.

Also, have you noticed that many people can look at an answer choice and explain why it's correct, and they'll have different reasons why, but consistently score high and get the correct answer?

Thanks

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: How thoroughly do you eliminate incorrect answer choices?

Postby Deardevil » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:33 pm

In-depth explanations are for when you're reviewing, not exactly for application during the exam.

And yes, anything can have more than one side to it;
for the LSAT, the reasons are more or less the same, even when there are different thought processes involved.

What you're doing is fine;
you're not required to spend a ton of time convincing yourself of one AC and better off not making that mistake.

Once you've seen a lot of questions, you will realize they all pretty much intertwine;
there will be irrelevant choices, extreme ones, opposites, or answers that are just plain ridiculous, all of which can be easily eliminated.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Postby dontsaywhatyoumean » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Devil, as well as in the other thread.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:29 pm

dontsaywhatyoumean wrote:When I read explanations for LR answer choices, they are often very thorough, and I'm just wondering how often you are able to actually process those details during the test.

For some answer choices, I can run thoroughly through why they're incorrect, but much of the time, it would take too much time to absolutely 100% convince myself of why it's wrong. I treat them as incorrect not for a super specific and detailed reason as to why they're wrong, certainly not like the detailed explanations I've seen on various websites.

Also, have you noticed that many people can look at an answer choice and explain why it's correct, and they'll have different reasons why, but consistently score high and get the correct answer?

Thanks

When you're working through an actual timed test, no one's expecting you to be completely thorough with dismissing answer choices. There are some that you'll see that you'll immediately know are wrong, others that you have a bad feeling about, etc. When you review, or are doing questions untimed, perhaps while drilling a certain question type, that's when you should take your time and consider your specific reasons for eliminating each answer choice.

The more you do this, the easier it will become, as many of the wrong answer choices for each q.type and section are very similar. You'll start to notice patterns, and your natural sense for spotting wrong and trap answers will improve, allowing you eliminate easier wrong answer choices faster than before. You'll improve your range of experiences and your attention to detail - the latter will help you pick out the subtleties in more complex answer choices that make them right or wrong. A lot of the time, it's the inconspicuous modifiers that determine whether an answer works or doesn't, which most inexperienced LSAT takes would never notice.

As for why different high scorers might explain why an answer choice is correct, that's an interesting and fairly accurate observation. I suppose that it's because logical reasoning is more open-ended than a lot of us realize. There are a lot of different trains of thought that can arrive at the same endpoint. In just my personal experience, there are some questions where I can immediately sense what is missing from the argument, and try to look for that missing puzzle piece, and other questions where I need to methodically eliminate illogical answers until I'm left with just one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�