What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
New_Spice180

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:01 am

What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby New_Spice180 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Hey guys the title pretty much says it. I've been trying to study all day but the motivation isn't there. I usually am able to go through what I want with little resistance, but it's been so hard! What are some tips and what do some of you do when you can't focus on a given day?

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby galeatus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Going for a run works like a charm for me.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby Mikey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 pm

If you're not feeling up to it, then just don't try. Do something else and go back to it the next day

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm

I run into this problem occasionally. I find that really breaking up of the studying helps. Know that you are going to study for 3 to 4 hours straight can be a bit unnerving.

Example:
1 hour right after I wake up
1 hour around lunch time
1 hour in the evening before dinner
1 hour right before bed

Similarly, if you have a large block of time to study then you could do 35 min study/30 min break intervals (Study->Break->Study->Break). During the Breaks get some food, watch a TV program, mess around on social media.

Additionally, come on here and talk about strategies, approaches, etc. It's not a perfect substitute, but at least it is decent.

tskela

Bronze
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby tskela » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:39 pm

I like to find a far-ish coffee place (like ~30 minutes away) so I can drive and listen to music and feel like a badass while picturing myself crushing the test

Then when I get there I'm usually all hyped to down some caffeine and get to studying

I'll also bring a BUNCH of study materials (more than i ever actually get to), headphones, pencils, a sweater, etc to get myself in the mindset that it's gonna be my little study island for the next 4 hours or so

User avatar
Blueprint Mithun

Bronze
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:21 pm

New_Spice180 wrote:Hey guys the title pretty much says it. I've been trying to study all day but the motivation isn't there. I usually am able to go through what I want with little resistance, but it's been so hard! What are some tips and what do some of you do when you can't focus on a given day?


I like SunDevil's idea of breaking up prep time into chunks. It might not work for everyone, but it's one way to keep it fresh.

I'd generally suggest taking days like that off. You've been at this for a while, and have been pushing yourself hard. Kudos! But it's equally important to know when to back off and give yourself time to rest and recover. Oversaturation could be draining your motivation - when this happens, it always creeps up on you. Don't feel like you'll put yourself behind. Our brains work in mysterious ways - sometimes you need to spend some time away from something to really process all that you've learned.

I wouldn't suggest coming here or doing other LSAT related things in lieu of actual prepping. Give your body and mind the rest they deserve, and occupy yourself with something completely unrelated. Or read - that'll keep your brain sharp.

tk421991

Bronze
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 am

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby tk421991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 pm

New_Spice180 wrote:Hey guys the title pretty much says it. I've been trying to study all day but the motivation isn't there. I usually am able to go through what I want with little resistance, but it's been so hard! What are some tips and what do some of you do when you can't focus on a given day?


I actually had this problem today. My dad texted me at like 9:15am while I was working on LSAT drills that my uncle is now in jail.

For something like that, where I'm just staring into the book or notebook and I can't focus, I deal with the distraction until it's taken care of and then get back to work. If you're hungry, eat, if you're tired, sleep. I moved on.

If it's for a whole day though, I'd just try to get out some energy (or get some energy) and then try to focus again when your mind is more relaxed. Go for a walk, play a video game until you're bored, eat, etc.

User avatar
New_Spice180

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:01 am

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby New_Spice180 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:18 am

tk421991 wrote:
New_Spice180 wrote:Hey guys the title pretty much says it. I've been trying to study all day but the motivation isn't there. I usually am able to go through what I want with little resistance, but it's been so hard! What are some tips and what do some of you do when you can't focus on a given day?


I actually had this problem today. My dad texted me at like 9:15am while I was working on LSAT drills that my uncle is now in jail.

For something like that, where I'm just staring into the book or notebook and I can't focus, I deal with the distraction until it's taken care of and then get back to work. If you're hungry, eat, if you're tired, sleep. I moved on.

If it's for a whole day though, I'd just try to get out some energy (or get some energy) and then try to focus again when your mind is more relaxed. Go for a walk, play a video game until you're bored, eat, etc.


Thanks for the tip and I wish for the best man!

User avatar
New_Spice180

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:01 am

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby New_Spice180 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 am

Blueprint Mithun wrote:
New_Spice180 wrote:Hey guys the title pretty much says it. I've been trying to study all day but the motivation isn't there. I usually am able to go through what I want with little resistance, but it's been so hard! What are some tips and what do some of you do when you can't focus on a given day?


I like SunDevil's idea of breaking up prep time into chunks. It might not work for everyone, but it's one way to keep it fresh.

I'd generally suggest taking days like that off. You've been at this for a while, and have been pushing yourself hard. Kudos! But it's equally important to know when to back off and give yourself time to rest and recover. Oversaturation could be draining your motivation - when this happens, it always creeps up on you. Don't feel like you'll put yourself behind. Our brains work in mysterious ways - sometimes you need to spend some time away from something to really process all that you've learned.

I wouldn't suggest coming here or doing other LSAT related things in lieu of actual prepping. Give your body and mind the rest they deserve, and occupy yourself with something completely unrelated. Or read - that'll keep your brain sharp.


I totally agree with this. I just feel guilty when I don'5 study. My mind is like, "remember that game you didn't do so well on? Yeah well what if there's one like that on the test, better get to drillin!"

I blame OCD in part, but I'll take heed to your word and give it a break for a bit. Thanks everyone!

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby maybeman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:33 am

tskela wrote:I listen to music and feel like a badass while picturing myself crushing the test



I do this an embarrassingly large amount of time.


But it actually helps me with extended studying. Also, workout.

CMac86

Bronze
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby CMac86 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:I run into this problem occasionally. I find that really breaking up of the studying helps. Know that you are going to study for 3 to 4 hours straight can be a bit unnerving.

Example:
1 hour right after I wake up
1 hour around lunch time
1 hour in the evening before dinner
1 hour right before bed

Similarly, if you have a large block of time to study then you could do 35 min study/30 min break intervals (Study->Break->Study->Break). During the Breaks get some food, watch a TV program, mess around on social media.

Additionally, come on here and talk about strategies, approaches, etc. It's not a perfect substitute, but at least it is decent.


This is pretty much what I do. During my work day, I tend to get an hour in during my lunch break (2hr lunch), and then an hour or two on a good day in the evening. On weekends, 35-50mins at a time with 20-30min breaks in between sessions.

I apply the same concept to coursework, and practicing (I'm a musician by trade). If my attention starts to wander a bit, that is a cue that I need to do something else for a bit. The only times that I force myself to knock out a large chunk at once are when I'm doing a practice test.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:15 pm

RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:37 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

At that point what motivated was getting into a good law school, period lol

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:41 pm

RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

At that point what motivated was getting into a good law school, period lol


Haha, I just accepted that as a given. "If ain't first your last," is usually the mantra I use when climbing up the 90%tiles.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

At that point what motivated was getting into a good law school, period lol


Haha, I just accepted that as a given. "If ain't first your last," is usually the mantra I use when climbing up the 90%tiles.

Initially what motivated me was what seemed to be a lack of options; I was a new graduate who couldn't find a job. Before I even really knew I wanted to go to law school, I took a diagnostic and scored a 146, and just thought I was hosed for life lol. "Man, I can't get a job, and I can't even get into law school!"

User avatar
SunDevil14

Bronze
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:31 pm

RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

At that point what motivated was getting into a good law school, period lol


Haha, I just accepted that as a given. "If ain't first your last," is usually the mantra I use when climbing up the 90%tiles.

Initially what motivated me was what seemed to be a lack of options; I was a new graduate who couldn't find a job. Before I even really knew I wanted to go to law school, I took a diagnostic and scored a 146, and just thought I was hosed for life lol. "Man, I can't get a job, and I can't even get into law school!"


Everyone needs a wake up call at some point. Additionally, another good strategy I use for studying is having a friend or family member drop you off a the library. Tell them to come back in X amount of hours. At that point there are less distractions, and you are not as inclined to stop studying early.

User avatar
RamTitan

Silver
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: What to do when you can't focus on a given day?

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:34 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Some people may not like this approach, but I motivate myself by thinking about how much more money each extra point entitles me to; to each their own


^Tends to help a lot more the further you are into your study and the higher you're scoring. ^This cross my mind more often now that I hit the 170's on occasion. Perhaps not so much a motivator when you are not scoring as high. 169 vs 171 can make all the difference. 151 vs 153 is no where near equitable in accomplishment or scholarship opportunity.

At that point what motivated was getting into a good law school, period lol


Haha, I just accepted that as a given. "If ain't first your last," is usually the mantra I use when climbing up the 90%tiles.

Initially what motivated me was what seemed to be a lack of options; I was a new graduate who couldn't find a job. Before I even really knew I wanted to go to law school, I took a diagnostic and scored a 146, and just thought I was hosed for life lol. "Man, I can't get a job, and I can't even get into law school!"


Everyone needs a wake up call at some point. Additionally, another good strategy I use for studying is having a friend or family member drop you off a the library. Tell them to come back in X amount of hours. At that point there are less distractions, and you are not as inclined to stop studying early.

Lmao, that's a good one.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests