Advice for someone who's taking the LSAT this Saturday and panicking? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
brinicolec

Gold

Advice for someone who's taking the LSAT this Saturday and panicking?

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:16 am

So, over the past week, my PT scores have been as high as 172 (6 days ago) and as low as 163 (this morning's). I'm NOT burnt out in the sense of just studying/PTing too much because I took a break a couple weeks ago when I noticed I was potentially going too hard. Does anyone have any advice for me/words of encouragement? Feeling really down about this.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Advice for someone who's taking the LSAT this Saturday and panicking?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:43 am

Saturday's test will just be another practice test. It will be released as PT79 in a couple months. I am going to buy it when it comes out and take it just like I am taking every other PT before I sit for the LSAT. How different and scary can it really be?

You got this man! You got a 172 already. You can get another on Saturday.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:26 pm

I know that this is way easier said then done, but don't panic. The fact that you've gotten as high as a 172 means you've got this. We all have bad tests, bad passages, bad games...but overall, YOU'VE GOT THIS. At this point, the only thing standing in your way is you. Tell yourself that you can do this, that you've studied hard enough, and that you're going to crush this thing. The LSAT is a mental test as much as it is a test about logic and reasoning, and positive thinking goes a long way.

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm

You're gonna surprise yourself when under pressure and kill it. Think of it as solid practice for December.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:47 pm

You're either going to get a dope LSAT score or a good PT experience. Don't sweat it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjsjr

New

Post by mjsjr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Test day adrenaline can do wonders. I was nervous, sure (particularly when the security officer at my testing site wouldn't let me in because he incorrectly thought there wasn't an LSAT there that day). But if you've put in the work, your body and brain will do the rest. On test day, the adrenaline will kick in and you just have to take it for a ride. You'll be "in the zone."

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks everyone. Already took it once so I don't plan on retaking again.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm

I remember freaking out in June, and really wish I hadn't. Feels like another practice test.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:15 pm

brinicolec wrote:So, over the past week, my PT scores have been as high as 172 (6 days ago) and as low as 163 (this morning's). I'm NOT burnt out in the sense of just studying/PTing too much because I took a break a couple weeks ago when I noticed I was potentially going too hard. Does anyone have any advice for me/words of encouragement? Feeling really down about this.
Outliers happen to everyone, but they don't give a reliable indication of where we're actually at. You know what you're capable of, and you've proved it plenty of times in the past. The key now is get plenty of rest to be focused for game day. It's exactly the same as every other practice test you've taken, just that it's in a room with other people. You've got this!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Update: today's PT score = 170, yesterday's = 169 :?

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I think I really needed some people to pull me back down to earth and basically tell me to just breathe and calm down.

haley12

Silver

Post by haley12 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm in the exact same boat. Adrenaline will help you focus on test day so you can crush it! (hopefully me too)

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:16 pm

brinicolec wrote:Update: today's PT score = 170, yesterday's = 169 :?

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I think I really needed some people to pull me back down to earth and basically tell me to just breathe and calm down.
I wouldn't do anymore LSAT stuff to be honest.

Didn't you score a 163 in June? That's still a huge improvement dude

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:02 am

RamTitan wrote:

Gonna take another PT tomorrow morning, BR it, then be done with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:02 am

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Oh and yeah, had 164 in June

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 am

I wouldn't take a PT right before the real thing, you're gonna lower your mental stamina.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:28 am

Drink this afternoon. Take an Imodium

sweets91

Silver

Post by sweets91 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:00 pm

brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

I would maybe do a couple of logic games, just to use your brain a bit today, but I wouldn't recommend doing a whole PT. Just chill, eat well, and get plenty of sleep

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:56 pm

brinicolec wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RamTitan wrote:

Oh and yeah, had 164 in June
169, 170, those are good scores. It's exceedingly difficult to break out of that high 160-low 170 LSAT range. I've noticed that it's either naturals or those who have spent A LOT of time (talking about more than a year) who are able to get in the upper tier of 170 scores.

I once read that the effort it takes to go from 170 to 175 is equal to the amount of effort it takes for one to go from their diagnostic to a 170 since you basically have to become twice as good (going from getting 10 wrong to 5 wrong), and that's the toughest problems you're trying to learn at that point.

Not sure if this is discouraging or not, but basically don't beat yourself up for not being perfect. You're scoring at the 95-96 percent tile already.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:42 pm

Get a massage. A massage can be detrimental to a big meeting or interview, because there's a thin line between seeming relaxed and seeming aloof. Before a big test they're great if you already know everything you need to know, and just need to calm your nerves. They're most effective for tests like the LSAT, law school tests and the bar where it's fine to have your ass handed to you on one question if you're cool, calm and collected going into the next one.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Update: took the LSAT today. In June, I had a lot of problems with feeling rushed at the end of sections b/c of timing, not today. Most of my anxiety that I portrayed in this post didn't seem to follow me into the test today. Followed some of your guys' lead by falling asleep last night repeatedly telling myself "You've scored a 174 before on a PT, you'll be fine," and felt good about the test, so hopefully it's because I did well and not because I just didn't realize I was completely missing the mark on questions. Thanks for the help calming down, TLSers. We can be a sassy bunch, but you guys came through in a genuine way when I needed it!

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:23 am

brinicolec wrote:Update: took the LSAT today. In June, I had a lot of problems with feeling rushed at the end of sections b/c of timing, not today. Most of my anxiety that I portrayed in this post didn't seem to follow me into the test today. Followed some of your guys' lead by falling asleep last night repeatedly telling myself "You've scored a 174 before on a PT, you'll be fine," and felt good about the test, so hopefully it's because I did well and not because I just didn't realize I was completely missing the mark on questions. Thanks for the help calming down, TLSers. We can be a sassy bunch, but you guys came through in a genuine way when I needed it!
This is great to hear! Good job and I hope that all your hard work pays off!

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:03 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:Get a massage. A massage can be detrimental to a big meeting or interview, because there's a thin line between seeming relaxed and seeming aloof. Before a big test they're great if you already know everything you need to know, and just need to calm your nerves. They're most effective for tests like the LSAT, law school tests and the bar where it's fine to have your ass handed to you on one question if you're cool, calm and collected going into the next one.
Definitely going to start doing this haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”