3%

Total votes: 369

Alexandros

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:30 pm

34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

In regards to new Cornell Dean: Sounds Power Hungry much (if thats the case) lol

Maybe they are pulling a WUSTL which wouldn't be terribly hard given their current rank and class size.

Didn't WUSTL get their numbers up by being really generous to splitters? Seems the opposite with Cornell.

guybourdin

Postby guybourdin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:31 pm

34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

In regards to new Cornell Dean: Sounds Power Hungry much (if thats the case) lol

Maybe they are pulling a WUSTL which wouldn't be terribly hard given their current rank and class size.

Duke's gonna be PIIIISSED

34iplaw

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

Didn't WUSTL get their numbers up by being really generous to splitters? Seems the opposite with Cornell.

Well, WUSTL targets/targetted splitters. I meant more that maybe Cornell is going to be really generous to people that would typically attend a HYSCCN... granted, that would include splitters. I mainly mean maybe they are planning to be super generous with scholarships to bring their numbers up.

laqueredup

Postby laqueredup » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

Well, WUSTL targets/targetted splitters. I meant more that maybe Cornell is going to be really generous to people that would typically attend a HYSCCN... granted, that would include splitters. I mainly mean maybe they are planning to be super generous with scholarships to bring their numbers up.

Yeah I thought WUSTL's strategy was giving coin to extreme splitters. Cornell just dinged / WL'd a 3.3 / 180. But... maybe they'll give $$$ to the few people they do accept?

34iplaw

Postby 34iplaw » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

Yeah I thought WUSTL's strategy was giving coin to extreme splitters. Cornell just dinged / WL'd a 3.3 / 180. But... maybe they'll give $$$ to the few people they do accept?

Well - yeah...just giving a lot of money to those they want. For Cornell, maybe they'll try giving a lot of money to like 3.7-3.9/17xs that would likely attend a CCNPVM type deal... a load of money from Cornell could probably sway a lot from sticker at CCNPVM.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:19 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Beast Protein! Congrats.

Well - yeah...just giving a lot of money to those they want. For Cornell, maybe they'll try giving a lot of money to like 3.7-3.9/17xs that would likely attend a CCNPVM type deal... a load of money from Cornell could probably sway a lot from sticker at CCNPVM.

Yeah, that could be. It'll be interesting to see what happens, and if they're getting more generous.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:25 pm

I know Cornell seems out for blood but getting my first rejection has now made me paranoid lol.

galeatus

Postby galeatus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Haven't checked back in for ages (sorry :oops: ), how's everyone holding up?

Sorry to hear about Cornell brinicolec, they seem determined to become a new Boalt this year...

Pozzo

Postby Pozzo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 am

Last edited by Pozzo on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 am

Pozzo wrote:Real talk, guys. Coming to my favorite thread for advice.

Misstated an award on my resume and apps, put an extra semester of dean's list. Was just reading my transcript and caught it. I had the grades to qualify, but was undeclared freshman year and dean's list awards are issued by specific colleges at my ugrad. Almost all my apps are in now. Worth writing schools in the interest of transparency? Or would that just draw attention to something they don't care about?

doesn't answer the question, but it might be important to consider whether or not the Bar would care about this when doing a background check on you and your law schools apps

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 pm

proteinshake wrote:

Misstated an award on my resume and apps, put an extra semester of dean's list. Was just reading my transcript and caught it. I had the grades to qualify, but was undeclared freshman year and dean's list awards are issued by specific colleges at my ugrad. Almost all my apps are in now. Worth writing schools in the interest of transparency? Or would that just draw attention to something they don't care about?

doesn't answer the question, but it might be important to consider whether or not the Bar would care about this when doing a background check on you and your law schools apps

Sounds like a honest mistake so I wouldn't stress it. Just be more careful next time and be sure to double-check things like this.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:36 pm

proteinshake wrote:

I'd just tell law schools for purposes of making sure you don't have problems down the line.

Also, don't the reports they get from LSAC show them when you were on Dean's List and all that so they'll know it's wrong?

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

(25 students show up for Cornell class of 2020 on the first day)

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:11 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:(25 students show up for Cornell class of 2020 on the first day)

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Alexandros wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:(25 students show up for Cornell class of 2020 on the first day)

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

BruiseWillis

Postby BruiseWillis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Mikey wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Alexandros wrote:

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Cornell's new dean got confused and thought they were working for Yehl.

dj9i27

Postby dj9i27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Alexandros wrote:Cornell's new dean got confused and thought they were working for Yehl.

Found my new way to spell Y6le without it being a Simpsons reference.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm worried my resume's gonna scream "angry SJW who'll try to impose trigger warnings and safe spaces on our fine institution" and get auto-dinged. :lol:

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Alexandros wrote:
appind wrote:

I think you should weight the costs and benefits - Do the benefits of accepting the new position outweigh the costs associated with turning down the offer you accepted (problematized relationship with friend and company, etc.)? If it's only a slightly better position, and you'd really like to work for the company in the future, think it might ruin a friendship, etc., I'd stick with the current offer. If it's a much better offer and the downsides of turning down the current one aren't all that enormous, then going with the new one makes sense.

thanks alex

weighing cost benefit was a very very difficult thing, hard to quantify these things. made a very hard decision.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:42 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
appind wrote:**

Can you talk to the person that helped you get the position? Maybe explain the situation and gauge their reaction. Personally, I wouldn't want to burn the bridge with them or the company but given that you were going to LS in 9 months anyway, I would imagine that the company will be much more likely to forgive/forget than the friend.

Although...if it's a law related company in a market you might want to work in eventually, I don't think I would take the chance of angering them. The older I get the more I realize what a small world it is.

yes, talked with the person. it didn't go as well as i had hoped as no reason can be good enough for the situation i found myself in. had it been any company it wouldn't have mattered.

it's a very very small world really, that's the part that worries me.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:45 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Sounds like a honest mistake so I wouldn't stress it. Just be more careful next time and be sure to double-check things like this.

agree with this.

it sounds like a minor thing and not the sort of thing that you should stress over. in the bigger scheme of overall app, this is nothing and contacting schools about is not a good move.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:04 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

I mean they must have, I guess? But nothing that was at all obvious. Early submission, no C/F issues, etc. Geez.

I dunno... seems super weird IMO... something was definitely missing, or, perhaps, they just put NO effort into applications like their personal statement. I think the LSs have become very against high scorers with apparent entitlement.

Note: Not saying all high scorers are entitled nor do I even think it's wrong to have some sense of it to a certain extent as long as one remains a bit grounded. You've worked hard, you do deserve it as long as you continue to put forth the effort.

I'd be inclined to think maybe minimal effort too, esp. if they were a random on LSN, but given their TLS presence I wouldn't think that would be the case. Could be that they accidentally forgot or really screwed up one part of the application, an LoR writer trashed them, something like that. (For what it's worth, they put it down to shitty UG. Which doesn't really make me feel better. :lol: )

Definitely makes one nervous though. I think it's psychologically easy to interpret relatively high % chance of admittance as definitely yes. An 85% chance of acceptance still means one in six or seven with your numbers won't get in.

Yeah - totally true. I wonder if it is similar to MBAs where they get rejected b/c the university has enough 3.9x / 17x Ivy -> V15 paralegal for two year candidates.

i think MBA admissions process is so vastly different than law school admissions is mainly the reason behind lot of high scorer paralegals getting rejected in mba admissions. b-school apps focus on management and EC skills, which are not prized much by law school apps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”