Goodnight, Sweet Prince

What did you get?

180-177
33
11%
177-174
31
10%
174-170
63
21%
169-165
72
24%
164-160
59
19%
159-150
36
12%
Sub 150
9
3%
 
Total votes: 303

User avatar
dj9i27
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Honestly, LOL when people criticize 'why law' personal statements for being unrealistic. I'm sure there are ways, but not sure how you'd write a strong 'I want to work in a V50' PS. Of course people write about wanting to change the world / influence policy / help the disadvantaged. Jesus.

(On that note, I think the "70% of people enter LS wanting to do PI [based on the fact that they write their personal statements about their interest in PI] and yet 75% go to firm jobs" thing might be overblown.)


TBH my "why law" was like "I like to argue and shit"


just send this picture if anyone ever asks about biglaw down the line.
[+] Spoiler
Image

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

dj9i27 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Honestly, LOL when people criticize 'why law' personal statements for being unrealistic. I'm sure there are ways, but not sure how you'd write a strong 'I want to work in a V50' PS. Of course people write about wanting to change the world / influence policy / help the disadvantaged. Jesus.

(On that note, I think the "70% of people enter LS wanting to do PI [based on the fact that they write their personal statements about their interest in PI] and yet 75% go to firm jobs" thing might be overblown.)


If someone keeps the fire of trying to make a better world going, I don't see what is wrong with that. Even if they have the initial plan of BigLaw to create a bit of financial padding and then do what they want what the fuck is wrong with that. I would rather be at least a little optimistic about the future, it is only as bleak as you make it.

No, nothing's wrong with either the PI plan (I don't mean to suggest that's unrealistic or naive) or the (statistically 'more likely') biglaw plan. I just mean, it's hardly surprising people write about the former much more than the latter in a PS. (Or are kinda vague.)

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:58 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Honestly, LOL when people criticize 'why law' personal statements for being unrealistic. I'm sure there are ways, but not sure how you'd write a strong 'I want to work in a V50' PS. Of course people write about wanting to change the world / influence policy / help the disadvantaged. Jesus.

(On that note, I think the "70% of people enter LS wanting to do PI [based on the fact that they write their personal statements about their interest in PI] and yet 75% go to firm jobs" thing might be overblown.)


TBH my "why law" was like "I like to argue and shit"

I GOT SOME BAD NEWS FOR YOU SON https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... dont-argue

What's that you say? You already got a Dillar- Oh.

User avatar
SweetTort
Posts: 2611
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby SweetTort » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Alexandros wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Honestly, LOL when people criticize 'why law' personal statements for being unrealistic. I'm sure there are ways, but not sure how you'd write a strong 'I want to work in a V50' PS. Of course people write about wanting to change the world / influence policy / help the disadvantaged. Jesus.

(On that note, I think the "70% of people enter LS wanting to do PI [based on the fact that they write their personal statements about their interest in PI] and yet 75% go to firm jobs" thing might be overblown.)


TBH my "why law" was like "I like to argue and shit"

I GOT SOME BAD NEWS FOR YOU SON https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... dont-argue

What's that you say? You already got a Dillar- Oh.


Lolololololol

TBH I dressed it up with shit like "loving discourse, facilitating dialogue, delving deep into the minutiae of a certain topic" etc.

User avatar
jagerbom79
Posts: 1282
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby jagerbom79 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:12 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Honestly, LOL when people criticize 'why law' personal statements for being unrealistic. I'm sure there are ways, but not sure how you'd write a strong 'I want to work in a V50' PS. Of course people write about wanting to change the world / influence policy / help the disadvantaged. Jesus.

(On that note, I think the "70% of people enter LS wanting to do PI [based on the fact that they write their personal statements about their interest in PI] and yet 75% go to firm jobs" thing might be overblown.)


TBH my "why law" was like "I like to argue and shit"

I GOT SOME BAD NEWS FOR YOU SON https://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/jd- ... dont-argue

What's that you say? You already got a Dillar- Oh.


Lolololololol

TBH I dressed it up with shit like "loving discourse, facilitating dialogue, delving deep into the minutiae of a certain topic" etc.


Haha eloquently disguised Tort ;P

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby appind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:26 pm

** please don't quote

so i have got a decision to make that i need some help on.
i was looking for job for the last couple of months, and interviewed at a couple of places. i received a job offer recently with X and i accepted it because i had none at the time. another company Y i had interviewed with came back and made a better offer. it seems to me it'd be better if i go to Y, but i have sent acceptance for X with a begin date that's coming up soon. is it ok to change mind and rescind acceptance to X? what are the repercussions?

User avatar
dj9i27
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:48 pm

appind wrote:** please don't quote



unless you intend to work with the company later down the line then there are no repercussions for you taking the better offer; even if you rescind your offer.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby appind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 pm

dj9i27 wrote:

there's a possibility of me wanting to work for the first employer later. i guess backing out from an acceptance may put the first employer in a difficult spot. i am sure it's not the best situation to be in and i feel i may be burning bridges. the person who got me the offer for me that i accepted went through lots of trouble to get me that. not sure how to fix this so there's no impact on him either.

User avatar
dj9i27
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby dj9i27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:58 pm

The friend part throws a monkey wrench into the scenario, it won't burn bridges for him nor you tremendously if you come out and say, "this is a better offer, i need money blah blah blah." but i could see it MAYBE affecting future working relations (within like 6 months after you're probably in the clear).

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby appind » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 am

dj9i27 wrote:

if it was just another company, i don't think i would have worried as much. i am also not sure if i could say better offer money as the reason for changing mind. it may insult his company or his group inadvertently and he may feel like he didn't even get the opportunity to deliver on a better offer. there are reasons for me to take the other offer, but i do not want at any cost to not have the opportunity to talk with him and pursue work with him in future. kinda in a pickle now.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 1998
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:29 am

Is it enough of a difference in money too? Realistically, how much more are you going to save or whatever on one job versus the other. Given that you go back to school very soon, I think you'd be better off with the experience that you enjoy more and think will be more illuminating.

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 am

I am starting to get *slightly* better at cooking. :!:
Last edited by Alexandros on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1591
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby appind » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 am

34iplaw wrote:


there is not insignificant difference in money, but that wasn't the decisive factor. i am still not ready to bear the cost of not being able to go to the person and company that i sent acceptance to later for a job opportunity. and i can't think why he and the company not hate me for rejecting after sending acceptance.

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 am

appind wrote:

I think you should weight the costs and benefits - Do the benefits of accepting the new position outweigh the costs associated with turning down the offer you accepted (problematized relationship with friend and company, etc.)? If it's only a slightly better position, and you'd really like to work for the company in the future, think it might ruin a friendship, etc., I'd stick with the current offer. If it's a much better offer and the downsides of turning down the current one aren't all that enormous, then going with the new one makes sense.

User avatar
ashrice13
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:28 am

nimbus cloud wrote:Anyone else never read or seen any of the Harry Potter movies?

Me! You're not alone.

Although...I'm thinking the Harry Potter books might make for easy beach reading when I go to Miami. Especially considering the other books I want to bring with me are Getting to Maybe and Delusions of Gender. I am starting to think that I need to take a break for a few days and just read something light.

User avatar
ashrice13
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby ashrice13 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:37 am

appind wrote:**

Can you talk to the person that helped you get the position? Maybe explain the situation and gauge their reaction. Personally, I wouldn't want to burn the bridge with them or the company but given that you were going to LS in 9 months anyway, I would imagine that the company will be much more likely to forgive/forget than the friend.

Although...if it's a law related company in a market you might want to work in eventually, I don't think I would take the chance of angering them. The older I get the more I realize what a small world it is.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Some of you are chatty. What do you say you join our FB chat? :mrgreen: :lol:

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Just lurked the cycle of a TLS-er with very similar numbers to my best-case-scenario. Dinged/WL'd through HYSCC, $60k at NYU.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Mikey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

User avatar
nimbus cloud
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby nimbus cloud » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:Anyone else never read or seen any of the Harry Potter movies?

Me! You're not alone.

Although...I'm thinking the Harry Potter books might make for easy beach reading when I go to Miami. Especially considering the other books I want to bring with me are Getting to Maybe and Delusions of Gender. I am starting to think that I need to take a break for a few days and just read something light.


Or you can just watch the movies. That's what I am gonna do, saves a lot of time. :D

Seriously though, I have been doing relatively dense reading in my gap year so I don't forget how to do it before law school. It's actually a lot more enjoyable when there is no deadline.

User avatar
dj9i27
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby dj9i27 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Alexandros wrote:Just lurked the cycle of a TLS-er with very similar numbers to my best-case-scenario. Dinged/WL'd through HYSCC, $60k at NYU.
:shock: :shock: :shock:


what is that like 1 in 100, chill bro

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

I mean they must have, I guess? But nothing that was at all obvious. Early submission, no C/F issues, etc. Geez.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 1998
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

I mean they must have, I guess? But nothing that was at all obvious. Early submission, no C/F issues, etc. Geez.


I dunno... seems super weird IMO... something was definitely missing, or, perhaps, they just put NO effort into applications like their personal statement. I think the LSs have become very against high scorers with apparent entitlement.

Note: Not saying all high scorers are entitled nor do I even think it's wrong to have some sense of it to a certain extent as long as one remains a bit grounded. You've worked hard, you do deserve it as long as you continue to put forth the effort.

User avatar
Alexandros
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby Alexandros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:49 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

I mean they must have, I guess? But nothing that was at all obvious. Early submission, no C/F issues, etc. Geez.


I dunno... seems super weird IMO... something was definitely missing, or, perhaps, they just put NO effort into applications like their personal statement. I think the LSs have become very against high scorers with apparent entitlement.

Note: Not saying all high scorers are entitled nor do I even think it's wrong to have some sense of it to a certain extent as long as one remains a bit grounded. You've worked hard, you do deserve it as long as you continue to put forth the effort.

I'd be inclined to think maybe minimal effort too, esp. if they were a random on LSN, but given their TLS presence I wouldn't think that would be the case. Could be that they accidentally forgot or really screwed up one part of the application, an LoR writer trashed them, something like that. (For what it's worth, they put it down to shitty UG. Which doesn't really make me feel better. :lol: )

Definitely makes one nervous though. I think it's psychologically easy to interpret relatively high % chance of admittance as definitely yes. An 85% chance of acceptance still means one in six or seven with your numbers won't get in.

User avatar
34iplaw
Posts: 1998
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 am

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
34iplaw wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez..

maybe they have something else that contributed to the dings..?

I mean they must have, I guess? But nothing that was at all obvious. Early submission, no C/F issues, etc. Geez.


I dunno... seems super weird IMO... something was definitely missing, or, perhaps, they just put NO effort into applications like their personal statement. I think the LSs have become very against high scorers with apparent entitlement.

Note: Not saying all high scorers are entitled nor do I even think it's wrong to have some sense of it to a certain extent as long as one remains a bit grounded. You've worked hard, you do deserve it as long as you continue to put forth the effort.

I'd be inclined to think maybe minimal effort too, esp. if they were a random on LSN, but given their TLS presence I wouldn't think that would be the case. Could be that they accidentally forgot or really screwed up one part of the application, an LoR writer trashed them, something like that. (For what it's worth, they put it down to shitty UG. Which doesn't really make me feel better. :lol: )

Definitely makes one nervous though. I think it's psychologically easy to interpret relatively high % chance of admittance as definitely yes. An 85% chance of acceptance still means one in six or seven with your numbers won't get in.


Yeah - totally true. I wonder if it is similar to MBAs where they get rejected b/c the university has enough 3.9x / 17x Ivy -> V15 paralegal for two year candidates.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: etramak and 3 guests