159-150
12%
Sub 150
3%

Total votes: 303

studyingeveryday

Re: Goodnight, Sweet Prince

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:19 am

nimbus cloud wrote:I am also having trouble differentiating between reasons worth mentioning in a Why X? and those that are generic or obvious enough that should not be included. Social environment? Class size? Employment prospects? These all seem like honest and legitimate reasons that almost everyone shares.

Is there a repository of good Why X essays?

I talked about social environment, class size, courses, clinics, occasionally some professors, location, and academic tracks (quite a mix, I know, lol). I never did employment prospects but I can see why that would also be good to talk about, especially if they're great in a specific field you're interested in.

studyingeveryday

Postby studyingeveryday » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am

SweetTort wrote:Life update.

I'm so glad to hear that! Glad that things are going better for you! You're going to crush it next year

guybourdin

Postby guybourdin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 am

Pozzo wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
pls don't quote. thx!

It's an excellent thing to add. It'll give really good evidence you're interested.

Thanks!

I talked about it in most of my Whys. One acceptance/one WL so far, so not sure how well they are going over yet, though.

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Alexandros wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Life update.

So happy to hear that, Tort. :)

nice to hear that..

appind

Postby appind » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:18 pm

34iplaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:What school is Hamilton again?

Columbia!

Think one would see Gloria Pritchett there by any chance? I think she's from there. <3

jager, haven't seen you here since the September study group.

somehow had this notion that you were in ny. may be not?

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:34 pm

It's interesting how much more pro-HYS/prestige over $$ TLS was back six or seven years ago.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Alexandros wrote:It's interesting how much more pro-HYS/prestige over $$ TLS was back six or seven years ago.

Esp considering that was around when legal hiring went even more to shit

ashrice13

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
Alexandros wrote:It's interesting how much more pro-HYS/prestige over $$ TLS was back six or seven years ago.

Maybe that's why? I get the impression that you really had to go to HYS to even THINK about getting the job you wanted.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:33 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Maybe that's why? I get the impression that you really had to go to HYS to even THINK about getting the job you wanted.

Yeah, I was gonna say that. The argument can be made for either direction but who knows

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Good stuff on the life update, sweettort.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Mikey wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Yeah, I was gonna say that. The argument can be made for either direction but who knows

Mm yeah maybe that's it.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:I already asked this in the admissions forum and I know most of us aren't really experienced in applying to law school lol, but what do you guys think about whether visiting a school (from pretty far away) would help get off a waitlist?

I would totally go. Even if its no guaranteed added benefit you can make it one and you never know who you might meet and make a great impression on. I've heard a couple people with great visits and putting themselves out there making a great impression and it positively impacting their admissions process.

In the book "the Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions" Ivey mentions how a student has positively or negatively impacted her decision on accepting/denying them in the process, and has even accepted someone before even looking at their apps. At the end of the day, they are also looking for personality fits and someone who will represent their school well and be a strong alumnus. Often, I think, people get too caught up in the process being strictly numbers and don't put themselves out there.

If I were you, I would go if this is a school you really want to go to. You need to show them that.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:12 am

studyingeveryday wrote:I already asked this in the admissions forum and I know most of us aren't really experienced in applying to law school lol, but what do you guys think about whether visiting a school (from pretty far away) would help get off a waitlist?

i think it does make a difference in some cases if done right, as far as i know. you may want to look up the spivey thread if they some more info on this. iirc there are also posts related to this in the applicant threads in previous cycle.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 am

got a nice lil salary bump with the new offer

once this settles i will send in my application

Veil of Ignorance

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:16 am

I've noticed that too. It could have something to do with the fact that Harvard cost about $45k per year in 2010, and will likely be about $60k next year. Personally, if HYS only cost $45k I would be gunning for that, but at $60k, it's just too much.

Veil of Ignorance

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:25 am

appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Is this the first cycle without the Hamilton?

I didn't realize it went away.

in the same camp. Hamilton going away should be a pretty big deal if one goes by the talk about hamilton in previous application cycles.

Why are you saying it's going away? Where did you get that info?

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
appind wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
Alexandros wrote:Is this the first cycle without the Hamilton?

I didn't realize it went away.

in the same camp. Hamilton going away should be a pretty big deal if one goes by the talk about hamilton in previous application cycles.

Why are you saying it's going away? Where did you get that info?

I thought I saw it mentioned on a couple of threads. I only managed to dig up one of them and it actually just said it wasn't publicized, which pretty sure was never the case. So likely/hopefully false alarm. Carry on, folks.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:

I've noticed that too. It could have something to do with the fact that Harvard cost about $45k per year in 2010, and will likely be about $60k next year. Personally, if HYS only cost $45k I would be gunning for that, but at $60k, it's just too much.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I'm pretty un-debt-averse and if I could keep HYS to around 150k, I'd be all for it. But a quarter million+ in debt is nuts. The whole system is messed up and completely unsustainable.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Alexandros wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

I'm pretty un-debt-averse and if I could keep HYS to around 150k, I'd be all for it. But a quarter million+ in debt is nuts. The whole system is messed up and completely unsustainable.

In the grand scheme of things, you think $15k makes that substantial of a difference?

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:26 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, you think $15k makes that substantial of a difference?

Well, it's a 45k difference when you multiply by 3. I guess it's not that big of a difference, but one has to put a limit somewhere. Mine is around 150k. Even if my parents were generous enough to pay for my living costs (unlikely, and I'd feel bad) it's still 180k, which is prob more like 200k when you factor in interest and the amount tuition will likely have raised by the time I get there.

jagerbom79

Postby jagerbom79 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

Well, it's a 45k difference when you multiply by 3. I guess it's not that big of a difference, but one has to put a limit somewhere. Mine is around 150k. Even if my parents were generous enough to pay for my living costs (unlikely, and I'd feel bad) it's still 180k, which is prob more like 200k when you factor in interest and the amount tuition will likely have raised by the time I get there.

Thats true.. I see where you are coming from.

Alexandros

Postby Alexandros » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:41 pm

jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to do more research on LIPP and how loan repayments work and stuff.
TCR seems to be follow the money regardless but sometimes I think an HYS degree would be really helpful with my aspirations. I dunno. It's a terrifying amount of money though.

dietcoke1

Postby dietcoke1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
jagerbom79 wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to do more research on LIPP and how loan repayments work and stuff.
TCR seems to be follow the money regardless but sometimes I think an HYS degree would be really helpful with my aspirations. I dunno. It's a terrifying amount of money though.

HYS (and I think Columbia and NYU) do have the best LRAP programs. If you make under a certain amount of money (usually 65k I believe) those schools will actually pay down your debt every month, rather than most T14s who are only kicking the debt down the road and hoping you qualify for PSLF in ten years. At least this is my understanding of it. So I can see why in some cases HYS would make sense. It's sticker price at any other T14 that really seems scary.

SweetTort

Postby SweetTort » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 pm

I somewhat regret not choosing Vanderbilt. I'm living with my SO 30 minutes outside of Nashville, and some of my family lives there, so it would've been super convenient (albeit probably a bad choice in terms of employment).

proteinshake

Postby proteinshake » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm

SweetTort wrote:I somewhat regret not choosing Vanderbilt. I'm living with my SO 30 minutes outside of Nashville, and some of my family lives there, so it would've been super convenient (albeit probably a bad choice in terms of employment).

I don't think there is a scenario in which Vandy > Dillard.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”