Help! Sep LSAT...what should I do?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tracy9524

New

Help! Sep LSAT...what should I do?

Postby tracy9524 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Hey all,

I am applying this year and registered for the Sep LSAT, which is coming in a week (this is also my first attempt). However, I consistently scored 160+ on the PTs and haven't reached my target (170+). I am thinking about taking the test and withdraw it right after if I don't feel good. That means I will probably not have a LSAT score when I apply for RD...I am wondering if that will affect my chances in any way. Thanks!!!

floatie

Silver

Re: Help! Sep LSAT...what should I do?

Postby floatie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:09 pm

I don't know what your GPA is so I don't know if you'll "need" a 170+ or if you'll be okay with high 160s...but two things to keep in mind:
1. In most cases, a higher December score + a later application is better than a lower September score + an earlier application, and a December score will still be in time for most (if not all) RD applications
2. If you choose to delay until December, make sure you understand why you're getting certain questions wrong. Taking PT after PT without carefully and thoroughly analyzing your mistakes won't do you much good.

The fact that you're scoring 160+ consistently means that overall you understand the concepts and you're doing fairly well and probably just need more practice, but this is a judgment call you'll probably need to make on your own. Also, don't read too much into the "I don't feel good about it" feeling after the LSAT - that does not in any way mean that you did poorly.

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:26 pm

floatie wrote:Also, don't read too much into the "I don't feel good about it" feeling after the LSAT - that does not in any way mean that you did poorly.

Exactly this OP. Take the Sept test and figure out where you stand. Even if you don't hit your target, it won't hurt you since schools take the highest score anyway. Who knows? You might surprise yourself and hit your target, but you won't know unless you take it. You can always retake in Dec

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 pm

I wouldn't withdraw, and there would be no point to applying without a score anyways. You might as well wait for a score because most likely your file won't be marked complete until the schools have it. MS9 just covered this in his new podcast, I think.

JDrat

Bronze

Postby JDrat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:46 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
GoGreen17 wrote:
floatie wrote:Also, don't read too much into the "I don't feel good about it" feeling after the LSAT - that does not in any way mean that you did poorly.

Exactly this OP. Take the Sept test and figure out where you stand. Even if you don't hit your target, it won't hurt you since schools take the highest score anyway. Who knows? You might surprise yourself and hit your target, but you won't know unless you take it. You can always retake in Dec

Not OP but sort of in the same boat. My mom was worrying my yesterday saying schools average the two scores. Do you know how true this is?

Hi, this is the info on the LSAC website - so it may not be a wise idea to take the LSAT unless you are positive you will do better.

LSAC will automatically report the results of all LSATs in your file, including cancellations and absences, since June 1, 2011. The scores are averaged and are also listed separately.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-lsat#eligibility (under the question "How will my scores be reported"

tracy9524

New

Postby tracy9524 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

floatie wrote:I don't know what your GPA is so I don't know if you'll "need" a 170+ or if you'll be okay with high 160s...but two things to keep in mind:
1. In most cases, a higher December score + a later application is better than a lower September score + an earlier application, and a December score will still be in time for most (if not all) RD applications
2. If you choose to delay until December, make sure you understand why you're getting certain questions wrong. Taking PT after PT without carefully and thoroughly analyzing your mistakes won't do you much good.

The fact that you're scoring 160+ consistently means that overall you understand the concepts and you're doing fairly well and probably just need more practice, but this is a judgment call you'll probably need to make on your own. Also, don't read too much into the "I don't feel good about it" feeling after the LSAT - that does not in any way mean that you did poorly.

Thank you! My GPA is 3.4 so I think I need a high LSAT to do a bit of compensating...for your 2nd suggestion- yes! I totally agree! My RC is especially weak and LR is not stable. So I have a general idea of what to study for the Dec test. Thanks again.

tracy9524

New

Postby tracy9524 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:08 pm

GoGreen17 wrote:

I will! Thanks so much!

tracy9524

New

Postby tracy9524 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:09 pm

poptart123 wrote:I wouldn't withdraw, and there would be no point to applying without a score anyways. You might as well wait for a score because most likely your file won't be marked complete until the schools have it. MS9 just covered this in his new podcast, I think.

Thanks! So I guess I should submit my application when I have the Dec score, if I don't do well in the Sep test? Mind elaborating on the MS9 podcast? What is it exactly?

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:19 am

tracy9524 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:I wouldn't withdraw, and there would be no point to applying without a score anyways. You might as well wait for a score because most likely your file won't be marked complete until the schools have it. MS9 just covered this in his new podcast, I think.

Thanks! So I guess I should submit my application when I have the Dec score, if I don't do well in the Sep test? Mind elaborating on the MS9 podcast? What is it exactly?

==error==/podcas ... ons-cycle/

Check out this link about the admissions timeline. I think it will help you out.

tracy9524

New

Postby tracy9524 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:44 am

poptart123 wrote:
tracy9524 wrote:

==error==/podcas ... ons-cycle/

Check out this link about the admissions timeline. I think it will help you out.

Great! Much thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�