Not Studying the Week Before the LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RamTitan

Silver

Not Studying the Week Before the LSAT?

Postby RamTitan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:35 pm

Context - I've been studying for over a year; sat in June and scored a 169, have taken 67 practice tests, and have scored 177+ the last 6 practice tests I have taken (all were retakes however).

I started a new job this week at a company I really wanted to work for - not an ideal start date, but I figured it'd be good for me to keep my mind not occupied on the LSAT, as my nerves killed me for the June test. Today I got there an hour early and lightly drilled in my car, and plan to do that throughout this week.

However, when I got home I started to do some drilling and got at least half the problems wrong. I'm almost certain this is because my eyes were fried from looking at a computer all day and being exhausted in general.

Given that I've studied for a considerable period of time already, do you think it would be better for me to stay away from the LSAT (except maybe in the morning when I'm fresh) and keep my confidence up for Saturday? I'm also tempted to ask for Friday off, but since I just started I don't know if that's a good idea....

Instrumental

Silver

Re: Not Studying the Week Before the LSAT?

Postby Instrumental » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Definitely wouldn't ask for time off on a job you just got.
Definitely would study the week leading up if you aren't feeling 100% confident in your skills. Not enough to burn you out, but at least enough that you can stay sharp through the week.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:37 pm

I agree with above - as long as your stamina isn't an issue, you could probably just solve a few of each type of problem using a booklet or something so you remain feeling comfortable and confident

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm

KunAgnis wrote:I agree with above - as long as your stamina isn't an issue, you could probably just solve a few of each type of problem using a booklet or something so you remain feeling comfortable and confident

Stamina isn't an issue; I've taken a lot of practice tests (67), so I know how to tackle one and feel comfortable.

I got all the problems this morning when I studied before work, so I'm pretty sure I was fried yesterday evening. I think I'm going to keep going with my plan of studying before work (maybe at lunch if I can do it without being noticed). But I have studied for a long time now, and just need to be more confident in my abilities.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:41 pm

Instrumental wrote:Definitely wouldn't ask for time off on a job you just got.
Definitely would study the week leading up if you aren't feeling 100% confident in your skills. Not enough to burn you out, but at least enough that you can stay sharp through the week.

I am confident, just had a bad day yesterday. I've already sat and gotten a good score, just need to not flip out lol. I'll do some drilling in the morning before work, but otherwise I won't go too hard.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 am

RamTitan wrote:Stamina isn't an issue; I've taken a lot of practice tests (67), so I know how to tackle one and feel comfortable.

I got all the problems this morning when I studied before work, so I'm pretty sure I was fried yesterday evening. I think I'm going to keep going with my plan of studying before work (maybe at lunch if I can do it without being noticed). But I have studied for a long time now, and just need to be more confident in my abilities.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I think that's a solid plan, it's what I did. Granted I only got a 171, but I'm sure you'll ace it. Good luck!

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:36 am

Hey OP,

I would just lightly drill this week. I am in a similar scenario myself. I wouldn't request a day off or anything. Just do a section a day or something - or even a few problems. Personally, I am not taking a full test this week. I am just reviewing and doing a few questions.

Best of luck on the test!

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
RamTitan wrote:Stamina isn't an issue; I've taken a lot of practice tests (67), so I know how to tackle one and feel comfortable.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I think that's a solid plan, it's what I did. Granted I only got a 171, but I'm sure you'll ace it. Good luck!

171 is an excellent score, and one that I would certainly be happy with. Anything higher than what I got last time will make me happy.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:14 pm

LegallyBlackJD wrote:Hey OP,

I would just lightly drill this week. I am in a similar scenario myself. I wouldn't request a day off or anything. Just do a section a day or something - or even a few problems. Personally, I am not taking a full test this week. I am just reviewing and doing a few questions.

Best of luck on the test!

Best of luck to you as well!

I've been doing two RC passages, one logic game, and 12 LR problems. Not a whole lot, but enough to get the blood flowing in the LSAT part of my brain. My job is going well, so I think going into the test calm and collected will be helpful.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor did it collapse in a day.

You're not going to fall off the wagon in one week. Just do a little bit of studying when you are fresh and do not burn yourself out.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:Rome wasn't built in a day, nor did it collapse in a day.

You're not going to fall off the wagon in one week. Just do a little bit of studying when you are fresh and do not burn yourself out.

Haha, that's a great analogy

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�