Do prep companies basically teach the same things?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mokkyukkyu

New

Do prep companies basically teach the same things?

Postby mokkyukkyu » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi,

So I was wondering...I was recommended to take 7sage course, but I have already taken MLSAT class and read powerscore books.
I also read Trainer kind of...Do I still learn new ideas from 7sage course? Or should I just do more real LSAT questions?
Do they actually teach different things that much?
I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions/ideas.

Thanks

speedwagon

New

Re: Do prep companies basically teach the same things?

Postby speedwagon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Ok, I have not taken courses, but I've been reading a lot of different books. Here's what my experience has been:
1) yes they all fundamentally teach the same thing, ie, strategies to learn the LSAT.

2) strategies vary. ie, for me LG didn't start making sense until I got the PS Bible, but I know other ppl are fine on the Trainer. I'm still fuzzy here and there and if I decide to retake I'll probably spring for basic 7sage. Games diagramming didn't click for me until I read some random book but then watching all the 7sage videos are how I've learned to really attack. Some of what JY says contradicts other sources with regards to how often to split boards, when to split or not split, etc. This one says read the stimulus first, this one says read the stem first, etc, etc. Which one works? Whichever works for you. Honestly the cross book shittalking is really hilarious.

3) My gut is that if you feel like you're getting it, just slowly, you can practice and you'll get speed. If you still aren't getting it, you need to figure out a way to add info or a new approach.

I will let others speak to more specific overlap but that's my 2c overview.

mokkyukkyu

New

Postby mokkyukkyu » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Thanks,
I see...I guess I will just do more questions then. my target score is at around 165 so I guess current materials should be enough?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:34 pm

I studied from the Trainer and it was super super helpful, and I never took a 7sage course but I watch the 7sage videos for almost every LG game I do. They've been so incredibly helpful and I definitely learn more by watching the videos in addition to what I learned from the Trainer. I can't speak to the course but hopefully someone else can!

New_Spice180

Bronze

Postby New_Spice180 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Speaking from my position and experience, it's taken a lot to find the right "formula" of attack for me. For instance, the PS Bibles were touted as a LSAT prep authority, however, their approach( to LR) is way to mechanistic for me and failed to harp on my greatest weakness-Assumption questions. The LSAT Trainer and Manhattan LR textbooks really gave me an approach that worked. Now what I found to be one of the most important things of all is realizing that they are simply giving you a method of attack, it's up to you to make tweaks if necessary, especially for RC and LG.

I'd say work with what you have and if you find yourself stumbling and having trouble improving then try to look for other resources for the respective sections/question types that are giving you problems.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�