Should I sit on Saturday?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lula43

Bronze

Should I sit on Saturday?

Postby lula43 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:43 am

Last edited by lula43 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Should I sit on Saturday?

Postby proteinshake » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 am

how hard did you study/prepare for the test this Saturday? if there is definite room for improvement, then sit out.

someone correct this if its wrong, but I think URMs tend to hear later in the cycle anyway, so taking in December, while already not devastatingly late, would affect you even less if this is in fact true.

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:02 pm

proteinshake wrote:how hard did you study/prepare for the test this Saturday? if there is definite room for improvement, then sit out.

someone correct this if its wrong, but I think URMs tend to hear later in the cycle anyway, so taking in December, while already not devastatingly late, would affect you even less if this is in fact true.

Honestly, I have taken about 20 of the most recent PT's. I then Google the questions I miss and try to get the best understanding of why I got it wrong. Everything I've done is self-study via free online resources. I'm not sure what more I can do at this point.

That is something I was not aware of. If someone can speak more on URM's hearing later, please let me know! thanks.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:03 pm

what's your target score? do you think you can improve by december?

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:12 pm

TheMikey wrote:what's your target score? do you think you can improve by december?

Ideally, I would be applying with a 165. But that seems unrealistic at this point. I can't afford a tutor or a course.. But I don't think it's impossible for me to bump a few more points over the next few months.

What I'm trying to weigh is my app popping up on admissions desks sooner in the cycle, or later when less seats are available with (maybe) a few more points..

USayinBoalt

Gold

Postby USayinBoalt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:18 pm

I think it's always a bad idea to take the test when you aren't ready

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:22 pm

USayinBoalt wrote:I think it's always a bad idea to take the test when you aren't ready

Understood. Do you have any insight into the comment above about URMs being considered later anyway?

USayinBoalt

Gold

Postby USayinBoalt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:31 pm

lula43 wrote:
USayinBoalt wrote:I think it's always a bad idea to take the test when you aren't ready

Understood. Do you have any insight into the comment above about URMs being considered later anyway?

Submitting after the December test is later but it's not that late. Just make sure you have every other part of your app ready to go so that when scores come out you can submit them ASAP. You have a great GPA and combined with your URM status and a 165+ you can pretty much get into most of the top-14 with money (Georgetown without a doubt)

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:32 pm

so did you use any prep material like prep books or anything?

jelufowoju

New

Postby jelufowoju » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 pm

You have 2 and a half months until the December test plenty of time to break into the mid or high 160s. Don't write Saturday, wait until December. Submitting in January is not ideal but it is not detrimental to your chances. Submitting a little later but with a good LSAT score is way better than submitting earlier but with a weak score.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm

if it makes you feel better, I applied in late January last cycle and got accepted with $$$ to my target schools and WL at all my reach schools. I think applying early is more important for reach schools. if you have solid numbers, it's okay to apply in January -- but this isn't to say it'll have ZERO effect to admission at your target schools. if you get a 165 (and probably just a bit lower), you'll do AMAZING with your GPA. Harvard and full rides would be in the picture at that level.

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:41 am

proteinshake wrote:so did you use any prep material like prep books or anything?

I used Princeton Review books, 7sage videos, and the 10 actuals books.

GoGreen17

New

Postby GoGreen17 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 pm

OP my recommendation is to take the test, get your score back, then decide if you're going to sit in December. Right now your previous score isn't doing you any favors. If you sit for the test on Saturday you'll at least have another score to base your decision on. There is absolutely no reason to skip the test this weekend.

Bebop

New

Postby Bebop » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Are you getting the 159s that you are now under very strict timed tests as close as to the actual experience that you can replicate? Since you've taken it once I'd reckon you know whether you are or not if you're honest with yourself.

I say this because if you aren't, there is a high chance your test score will be well below what your practice tests are right now. I'd theoretically say you want to be PTing slightly higher than the score you'd like to see on the actual test. Then you can drop a few points for a bad showing and still be ok.

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Bebop wrote:Are you getting the 159s that you are now under very strictly timed tests as close as to the actual experience that you can replicate? Since you've taken it once I'd reckon you know whether you are or not if you're honest with yourself.

I say this because if you aren't, there is a high chance your test score will be well below what your practice tests are right now. I'd theoretically say you want to be PTing slightly higher than the score you'd like to see on the actual test. Then you can drop a few points for a bad showing and still be ok.

Yes, I am. I take it with my LSATMax watch (love it, lol) and fill in the scantrons in libraries, coffee shops, etc. I definitely discipline myself in that aspect of prep.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:43 pm

I'd say take it and then cancel if it feels like you didn't do well. I've been studying so long that I've developed a pretty keen sense of "ugh that didn't go too well." feeling like you're rushing is a pretty good indicator, but there are others as well

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 pm

^This. I you think you can improve than improve and take in December.

tofuspeedstar

Platinum

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:29 pm

If you have to make a thread about it, then nope, you shouldn't.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�