Going from 152 to 172

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tk421991

New

Going from 152 to 172

Postby tk421991 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm

So I took the June '16 LSAT and got a 152. I was mentally very relaxed going into it, sort of in a state of mental serenity, so I can't blame anything external.

My goal is to get a 172 on the December LSAT or to then re-take in February if I get anything below a 170ish in December.

Here's the plan:

1. Take an LSAT practice test every day and working my way up to two tests a day, then three, with Friday and Saturday off.
2. Analyze what I'm doing wrong on each section.

I took a practice test today and got a 147 and basically I need work on everything.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Re: Going from 152 to 172

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:09 pm

I think taking a practice test every day is overkill, and you're definitely going to burn through materials far quicker than you will be able to review. I think that generally, Blind Review takes twice as long (if you're being thorough) than an actual full length practice exam.

What I would suggest is drilling untimed, because it's clear that you're lacking in the fundamentals. IDK what resources you used the first round, but I would suggest going through the Manhattan LSAT LR book, and the Trainer. Definitely do 7Sage for LGs.

After drilling untimed and getting your accuracy up, start doing timed sections. Mark down which questions/question types you're getting wrong and drill those types. Continue this routine for a month. Start doing timed practice exams after you've gotten this down. I would do one the first week, blind review, grade and then drill those weaknesses that week. Slowly ramp up to two PTs (with the same review and drilling process). I think the max you should take a week is 3. Some TLSers have done 2 4 section PTs back to back, which can be a strategy you use, to do 4 a week. You don't want to burn out, so remember to take days/weekends off here and there.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:I think taking a practice test every day is overkill, and you're definitely going to burn through materials far quicker than you will be able to review. I think that generally, Blind Review takes twice as long (if you're being thorough) than an actual full length practice exam.

What I would suggest is drilling untimed, because it's clear that you're lacking in the fundamentals. IDK what resources you used the first round, but I would suggest going through the Manhattan LSAT LR book, and the Trainer. Definitely do 7Sage for LGs.

After drilling untimed and getting your accuracy up, start doing timed sections. Mark down which questions/question types you're getting wrong and drill those types. Continue this routine for a month. Start doing timed practice exams after you've gotten this down. I would do one the first week, blind review, grade and then drill those weaknesses that week. Slowly ramp up to two PTs (with the same review and drilling process). I think the max you should take a week is 3. Some TLSers have done 2 4 section PTs back to back, which can be a strategy you use, to do 4 a week. You don't want to burn out, so remember to take days/weekends off here and there.

Depends on the person. I went from 142 to 175 by taking every single lsat 6 days a week in a row, sometimes more than 1 test for 6 months. I started at LSAT 1 and went to LSAT 74, then repeated it. Did each one twice. But what worked for me doesn't work for others. But if I didn't do what I did, I wouldn't be at a great t14 on a huge scholarship (point being it worked for me). So certainly not necessarily overkill.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:15 pm

grades?? wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:I think taking a practice test every day is overkill, and you're definitely going to burn through materials far quicker than you will be able to review. I think that generally, Blind Review takes twice as long (if you're being thorough) than an actual full length practice exam.

Depends on the person. I went from 142 to 175 by taking every single lsat 6 days a week in a row, sometimes more than 1 test for 6 months. I started at LSAT 1 and went to LSAT 74, then repeated it. Did each one twice. But what worked for me doesn't work for others. But if I didn't do what I did, I wouldn't be at a great t14 on a huge scholarship (point being it worked for me). So certainly not necessarily overkill.

Did you just take full PTs, or what? Agreed that there are exceptions to the rule, but you've got me intrigued on what your day to day looked like. :mrgreen:

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:After drilling untimed and getting your accuracy up, start doing timed sections. Mark down which questions/question types you're getting wrong and drill those types. Continue this routine for a month. Start doing timed practice exams after you've gotten this down. I would do one the first week, blind review, grade and then drill those weaknesses that week. Slowly ramp up to two PTs (with the same review and drilling process). I think the max you should take a week is 3. Some TLSers have done 2 4 section PTs back to back, which can be a strategy you use, to do 4 a week. You don't want to burn out, so remember to take days/weekends off here and there.

Thanks for the tip :)

I have the Powerscore books for each section and I find them to be as clear as mud. Kind of like looking for a recipe for a ham sandwich in a gourmet cookbook. I have the Manhattan 10 Real LSATs Grouped by Question as well.

I'm not so worried about running out of tests because I'm going to run off copies of the bubble sheets and re-do tests I've already taken. No one test stands out as particularly hard or easy for me.

HYPSM

Bronze

Postby HYPSM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Did you just take full PTs, or what? Agreed that there are exceptions to the rule, but you've got me intrigued on what your day to day looked like. :mrgreen:

Yeah, could you elaborate? I'm about to do that right now.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:36 pm

HYPSM wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Yeah, could you elaborate? I'm about to do that right now.

I was a grad student at the time. I had taken the lsat twice before and got a 165. Needed higher for my dreams lulz. But seriously, decided to stop trying to fight the system and instead became the system. So I would go to grad school during the day every day and around 7 or 8 pm after dinner and being intellectually drained would go the library. I would take a full lsat usually with only 1 5 minute break. Then I would blind review as much as possible, but sometimes I would leave a section for the morning for review. So usually 7-11 pm give or take every night. On saturday or sunday I would take 2 lsats. One in the morning, get lunch go do whatever, then take another. In all, I took the lsat 160 or so times studying for my final take. It wasn't until the last month of this 6 month regime I broke 170 and then broke 175 a week later.

So essentially 1 test and blind review every week day and 2 tests one day during the weekend. Remember this was on top of grad school and all that life.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:39 pm

tk421991 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:After drilling untimed and getting your accuracy up, start doing timed sections. Mark down which questions/question types you're getting wrong and drill those types. Continue this routine for a month. Start doing timed practice exams after you've gotten this down. I would do one the first week, blind review, grade and then drill those weaknesses that week. Slowly ramp up to two PTs (with the same review and drilling process). I think the max you should take a week is 3. Some TLSers have done 2 4 section PTs back to back, which can be a strategy you use, to do 4 a week. You don't want to burn out, so remember to take days/weekends off here and there.

Thanks for the tip :)

I have the Powerscore books for each section and I find them to be as clear as mud. Kind of like looking for a recipe for a ham sandwich in a gourmet cookbook. I have the Manhattan 10 Real LSATs Grouped by Question as well.

I'm not so worried about running out of tests because I'm going to run off copies of the bubble sheets and re-do tests I've already taken. No one test stands out as particularly hard or easy for me.

I don't think retaking exams is bad, for the record. As long as you are working through the actual strategy while you're doing the exam vs. recalling the CR.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:41 pm

+1

Taking one or two tests a day is a waste. You shouldn't be aiming to do the bulk of your learning from tests, as there are only a finite amount and they are better used to gauge your progress. Improvements will come from timed drills and thorough blind review.

Wait until you have the fundamentals down before you begin PT'ing. I would suggest using PTs 1-36 or 1-38 for drilling. And the rest for full timed PTs or additional timed drilling if need be. Make sure to save from like 60-78 for full timed PTs, though.

7Sage is going to be your best friend for LG and LR. The Manhattan Prep LR is fabulous as a supplement to the 7Sage course. The LSAT Trainer is amazing too. I'd find time for all 3 if I was aiming for a 170.

It is honestly probably going to take longer than from now until December. I'd aim for Feb or June 2017.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

+1

Taking one or two tests a day is a waste. You shouldn't be aiming to do the bulk of your learning from tests, as there are only a finite amount and they are better used to gauge your progress. Improvements will come from timed drills and thorough blind review.

Wait until you have the fundamentals down before you begin PT'ing. I would suggest using PTs 1-36 or 1-38 for drilling. And the rest for full timed PTs or additional timed drilling if need be. Make sure to save from like 60-78 for full timed PTs, though.

7Sage is going to be your best friend for LG and LR. The Manhattan Prep LR is fabulous as a supplement to the 7Sage course. The LSAT Trainer is amazing too. I'd find time for all 3 if I was aiming for a 170.

It is honestly probably going to take longer than from now until December. I'd aim for Feb or June 2017.

Eh, you only have to drill 100 questions in a day and you end up burning through 1 PT's worth of material anyways. Don't really see a huge difference in how quickly you burn through the material between drilling and PTs.

I don't think there was ever a day in my prep where I drilled less than 100 questions

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 pm

tskela wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

+1

Eh, you only have to drill 100 questions in a day and you end up burning through 1 PT's worth of material anyways. Don't really see a huge difference in how quickly you burn through the material between drilling and PTs.

I don't think there was ever a day in my prep where I drilled less than 100 questions

Yeah, but not all sets of 100 problems are created equally.

Doing 100 questions of drilling that vs. doing an entire timed exam are completely different and so are the end goals.

And I wouldn't think doing 100 of the same type of questions would be advisable either. With drilling, you want to target your weaknesses or drill problem sets after you learn a new question type. But not 100 of them!

People seem to learn best when they focus on one section at a time. So that is something to keep in mind too.

Just some tips that have worked for a lot of top scorers I know!

Feel free to ignore.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
tskela wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

+1

Yeah, but not all sets of 100 problems are created equally.

Doing 100 questions of drilling that vs. doing an entire timed exam are completely different and so are the end goals.

And I wouldn't think doing 100 of the same type of questions would be advisable either. With drilling, you want to target your weaknesses or drill problem sets after you learn a new question type. But not 100 of them!

People seem to learn best when they focus on one section at a time. So that is something to keep in mind too.

Just some tips that have worked for a lot of top scorers I know!

Feel free to ignore.

I think your advice is good for some/most of test takers. For me, it required testing practice. As a top .01% scorer, its about figuring out what works for you in order to really master this test.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:57 am

This is a list of questions I got wrong from #69, 4LSN106, which I did yesterday. It's most just here for me to organize my thoughts re: reviewing.

Section 1 (LR):

4, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25

Section 2 (LG):

3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27

Section 3 (RC):

5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27

Section 4 (LR):

9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 23

Normally I do a lot better on RC, however for some reason I decided to try RC without underlining in pencil what I figured was important in the passages. Logic games - I can figure out the first question in a Logic Game almost every time because each answer except the correct one will violate one of the rules. The problem with the remainder is that I can't picture in my head how to demonstrate on paper what they're asking. I make a diagram, but end up not using it out of confusion.

I'm going to look into these this morning and see what patterns I notice in each question type, i.e. which ones am I getting wrong the most.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 am

I took a look over the incorrect ones and I found two major trends:

1. Inferring what they want is one of my major weak points, probably because I've never had a formal training in logical reasoning and making "logical" assumptions.

2. Without underlining, I can have a problem understanding what they're going on about.

I have a question about Section Three, Number Six however. The answer they mark as correct doesn't seem like a guarantee in context at all. Simply honoring crop requests and using what chemicals (or no chemicals) per client requests does not guarantee that they'll have buyers. That guarantees that those who are buyers will be satisfied, but won't get people in the door or onto the property.

Section Question Type
1 4 What assumption is required?
1 11 Function of Statement?
1 12 Statement above most strongly supports?
1 13 Which most strongly strengthens the argument?
1 15 Which helps resolve the paradox?
1 16 Which logically completes the argument?
1 17 Which most weakens the argument?
1 19 What assumption is required?
1 20 Which most weakens the argument?
1 22 Which most weakens the argument?
1 23 What is the argument?
1 25 What is the conclusion?
2 3 Could be true?
2 4 Cannot be?
2 5 Could be true except?
2 6 1st Question of a LG
2 8 Could be true?
2 10 If…, then?
2 11 If…, then?
2 13 Must be true?
2 15 If…, then?
2 16 Could be true?
2 19 Cannot be the complete arraignment?
2 21 Must be false except?
2 22 Cannot be the complete arraignment?
3 5 Inferring which statement?
3 6 The statement advocates which action?
3 7 Which is most supported by the statement?
3 8 The function of line X is?
3 11 Primary purpose of the passage?
3 13 Inferring which statement?
3 15 What would be good titles for each?
3 16 Which is mentioned in A, but not B?
3 19 Would be advised to?
3 21 Which casts doubt?
3 22 Primary purpose of the passage?
3 24 What is the author trying to indicate here?
3 25 What is the author trying to indicate here?
3 26 Inferring which statement?
3 27 Inferring which statement?
4 9 Statement above most strongly supports?
4 11 Find the flaw in the argument?
4 12 The claim preforms what role?
4 13 What assumption is required?
4 14 Which one follows the earlier reasoning?
4 15 Which is the strongest logical counter?
4 19 Which most weakens the argument?
4 20 Inferring which statement?
4 23 Which most strongly strengthens the argument?

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Started drilling:

Did the Assumptions Required first part of the LR section of the Manhattan 10 Real LSATs Grouped by Question and got 7/15. Going to look them over again tomorrow morning and get one part of each section (LR, LG and RC) done.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Doing better. On the second section of LR, I got 11/16. Slight improvement and the concepts were clicking better. I'll do LG and RC later on tonight.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:53 am

Got some RC done and I will say this book is a lot more helpful than the Powerscore books. YMMV.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19 am

I don't think spending all of your time PTing is the best use of your resources. You don't really improve through simply taking PTs. You improve by learning strategy and reviewing, practicing with corrective feedback.

At a 152, you still have strategy and fundamentals to learn.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 am

bmathers wrote:I don't think spending all of your time PTing is the best use of your resources. You don't really improve through simply taking PTs. You improve by learning strategy and reviewing, practicing with corrective feedback.

My plan has changed to this:

1. Take a Practice Test on Sunday
2. Analyze what I got wrong and where I need to improve the most.
3. Spend the week working on what I got wrong.
4. See if I improve on the next PT - I'll be doing that Sunday next.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:28 pm

tk421991 wrote:
bmathers wrote:I don't think spending all of your time PTing is the best use of your resources. You don't really improve through simply taking PTs. You improve by learning strategy and reviewing, practicing with corrective feedback.

Sounds like a plan. Have you checked out 7Sage.com? Good, low-cost prep

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:38 pm

bmathers wrote:Sounds like a plan. Have you checked out 7Sage.com? Good, low-cost prep

No but I think I will. I was also planning on checking out Manhattan's forum.

Go Nats!

New

Postby Go Nats! » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:45 pm

tk421991 wrote:

I went from 149 to 165 and this was the kind of schedule I followed so I think you're on the right track.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Go Nats! wrote:I went from 149 to 165 and this was the kind of schedule I followed so I think you're on the right track.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Edit:

I got my fee waiver appeal approved, so I'm signed up for December and February. Good to go :D

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:39 am

Took PT51 today, Form 6LSN69. I spent last week reviewing RC and LR and I did better with those than previously. So, this week I'm going to work on Logic Games and one other section each day. That way I don't get complacent with sections other than LG.

tk421991

New

Postby tk421991 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Worked on LG and RC today - my correct percentages are moving up. The basic concept of the LSAT is like a line from a Sherlock Holmes book - "eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

My only problem is identifying what the impossible is on Logic Games. This is going to take time and practice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?