How Do I Do Logic Games????

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
burnedoutteacher

New

How Do I Do Logic Games????

Postby burnedoutteacher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm so discouraged. It takes me 50 minutes to just solve one game. I'm working through the Logic Games Bible, but it's so complicated. I'm getting lost in the minutiae. If I slowly working through it, will I be able to solve a logic games in 8.5 minutes? Please help.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: How Do I Do Logic Games????

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:40 pm

I know EXACTLY how you feel. But let me tell you something: Logic games will become the section that you will love (ok maybe not love but strongly like) because of how you will be going -0/-1 on it since it will become the more relaxed section once you get it down.

You right now: "you're insane, this shit is hard".

That's what I thought when I first started. Use 7sage's explanation videos, understand the LG bible (I didn't use it but I've heard it's good for basic foundations), and literally do TONS of games, and do those same games over again as well. LG is repetition, it's one of the only ways to get good at the games.

If you put in the time, it will pay off

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:47 pm

It's going to be like that for the first little/not-so-little while. It took me weeks of working with the LGB to be able to be able to do a single, simple linear game in 8.5 minutes. And much longer after that to be able to do a set within time. Training your brain takes a lot of time and persistence, but it will pay off.

lgsb2014

New

Postby lgsb2014 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 pm

burnedoutteacher wrote:I'm so discouraged. It takes me 50 minutes to just solve one game. I'm working through the Logic Games Bible, but it's so complicated. I'm getting lost in the minutiae. If I slowly working through it, will I be able to solve a logic games in 8.5 minutes? Please help.

Don't feel discouraged!
I was in your shoes a few months ago. I hated LG, I thought I would never get better.
Practice, practice, practice. I have not used 7 sage yet but I hear their methods are very effective. Once you get the hang of things, you'll be able to make deductions faster and answer the questions in a breeze.
If you get questions wrong, make sure you see why you made that mistake. Again, I advise you to look at the 7sage videos. They have a method for mastering the games that I will be using for the games i'm having trouble with.

Don't get discouraged and keep working hard!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:15 pm

I'll echo what everyone above said. Go back and search my posts from June and I was in the same place. some games would take me 20+ minutes. One I remember took me a half hour. I kept working through it. Now I can comfortably take a timed LG section and I miss 3 or so questions.

Fuck the LGB if it is confusing you. I think it sucks beyond learning the bare bone basics anyways. Their diagramming methods are unnecessarily complicated for most people. All those double not rules nonsense....

Use 7Sage. I would recommend biting the bullet and getting a starter course for $180 bucks. It's worth it for games alone. The free videos should work well too. I just think the actual lessons helped me a lot. Nothing like seeing it done in real time!

Overall, whatever you decide to end up doing; don't give up! The LG section is the least intuitive to us because in many ways it is like learning a new language. But once you start getting the hang of things, you'll become more fluent!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 pm

I was you, and then like 1 week after beginning to use 7sage I was doing easy games in 8 minutes. A month later I could do full sets going like 2-3 minutes over the time limit and missing 3-4 questions. Another month after that and I was averaging 28 minutes per set and -0

it seems impossible now but improvement comes VERY quickly

burnedoutteacher

New

Postby burnedoutteacher » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Thank you! I am going to check out 7Sage.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:It's going to be like that for the first little/not-so-little while. It took me weeks of working with the LGB to be able to be able to do a single, simple linear game in 8.5 minutes. And much longer after that to be able to do a set within time. Training your brain takes a lot of time and persistence, but it will pay off.

I agree with this^^. It is so foreign at first, but the Bible lays out a clear thought-process on how to setup games properly and utilizing different logical tactics. Using those and repeated practice, you will get the hang of these in no time. And then its just some maintenance and tweaking from there. I recommend watching 7Sage video explanations after each game you do and drilling the Games by type in a relatively similar strategy outlined in 'PithyPike's' LSAT Self-Study guide posted here on TLS.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:17 am

Practice, practice, practice.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 pm

The same way you do LR and RC: gaining familiarity.

As you're still in the beginning phase, you shouldn't worry about time.
Attempt a game and review your process via watching the 7Sage video on that particular game.
The LSAT Trainer is another good resource to teach you the basics if it turns out PowerScore is that bad.

By far the simplest section, so you can do it.

BenShapiro

New

Postby BenShapiro » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:10 am

If it takes you that long to solve the games, then you can easily identify your weakness. You need to understand how to diagram the rules of the game properly. Once you understand how to diagram the rules, then you can look for inferences and everything becomes easy. One step at a time.

Instrumental

Silver

Postby Instrumental » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:49 am

Logic games are kinda tough because they can vary greatly. But the key to success is understanding that they are formulaic and a step by step process. There are certain types of games that have the same approach just with different characters and a background. Still, it's a section I still never ace. Inevitably I miss at least 2 or 3 either because of lack of time or because of especially difficult questions (or both)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�