Suggestions for breaking 160 - 3 mo. studying already

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thelegendaryg

New

Suggestions for breaking 160 - 3 mo. studying already

Postby thelegendaryg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Hello,

I wanted some general suggestions on breaking 160. I would appreciate people in the 140's and the low-mid 150's on their cold diagnostic tell me:
1. Their cold diagnostic score
2. Their final score
3. How long they prepped for
4. What resources they used
5. General strategies for improving that much

I would sincerely appreciate if only people that scored a cold 140's and 150's reply, as I have come to suspect that people that scored higher than that on a cold diagnostic have a kind of innate LSAT brilliance that I simply do not innately have. (I am not logically challenged, but not logically gifted either).

A little about me: I have studied for 3 months straight, although probably ineffectually. I have read all the Powerscore bibles, made flash cards (which I have 50% memorized) and gone through 20 practice tests already. I have a tutor who I see once a week but we mostly only go over the questions I get wrong and he isn't doing much to identify my strengths/weaknesses and isn't giving me a study plan. My score has fluctuated all over the place in the 150's; generally I score around 156-158, with a high of 160, with the occasional (low 150's) exception. My target score is 163 by December.

Thanks in advance!

SunDevil14

Bronze

Re: Suggestions for breaking 160 - 3 mo. studying already

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

My initial few diagnostics were in the mid 150's. I tried to cram before my first Lsat attempt (about a month of serious study) and got a 160. As person that never had to study much, I was humbled and have since then been studying rigorously for about 3 months. I am averaging a 168 and occasionally hit the 170's. My goal is average in the Mid 170's.

When I began studying the second time around I started from scratch.

First 6 weeks: I completed the PowerScore Trilogy and Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Over that time Span I took 1 PT a week and reviewed it. I used 7sage.com (free) to track my progress in scores over each section and test, as well as strengths and weakness.

Next 3 Weeks: Focused Heavily on my weak spot (LG). I picked up a copy of every LG from the first 20 tests and burned through all of them, making sure I spent time to review and look at video explanations on 7sage.com. Additionally I drilled and reviewed LR and RC sections as well as taking and reviewing 2 PT's.

Next 3 Weeks: I use Powerscores type training to drill my weak LR question types. I have a copy of all LG 21-40 and do sets of 4 as maintenance. I take and review 2-3 PT's a week.

Over the course of about 3 months I have taken about 30 PT''s. PM if you like something a bit more thorough.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Postby studyingeveryday » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:04 pm

My studying was kind of all over the place since I started studying for last year's test. My diagnostic was a 148. I started off with Kaplan, which, while it did really help me master the basics, didn't help as much to help increase my score as much as I wanted it to when I took the LSAT last year. When I freaked out during the December test (screw game 3) and ultimately did worse than I'd been PTing, I decided to retake this year.

This year, I've been using the LSAT Trainer, which I loooove. Seriously, it's the best. Go online and find their online study plans, pick one, depending on how much time you have, and stick to it as you go through the book. Make sure to do the schedule with the book because the drilling is what really solidifies your learning.

Once you're done with the book (make sure you have at least 4-5 weeks left over before your test), for LR (though I do this for all sections, and it's really helpful), when I get a question wrong or even get it right but don't completely understand how, it helps to write down what I did wrong in my thought process (either while reading the stimulus or going through the answer choices) to get it wrong so that I won't make that mistake again (obviously, there are certain mistakes that I do keep making again and I just have to train myself to not make them over a period of time).

For LG, I've also been drilling specific games that I have more trouble with, and use 7sage (google 7sage videos for LG! It will save your life!) to refine my thought process in solving them. Sometimes I solve the same game repeatedly so I can make my process become a habit, then solve similar games while I'm fresh on the process to develop my skills further. When you get comfortable with your process on games, start solving whole sections to get used to solving them in 35 minutes.

I'm not even going to pretend to know what I'm doing on RC. All I'm going to say is to read for structure and opinions, but the Trainer will cover that anyway.

Honestly, since you're aiming for at least a 160, it really is going to depend on which area you're willing to work on most depending on what you're good at or think you can improve on msot. Don't be surprised if you can get even higher than you're aiming for depending on how much work you put in!

Oh yeah--my PTs for this cycle are all between 163-166, so I've finally done something right somewhere, though I take the real thing next week.

Hope this helps!

Destiny0921

New

Postby Destiny0921 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 am

SunDevil14 wrote:My initial few diagnostics were in the mid 150's. I tried to cram before my first Lsat attempt (about a month of serious study) and got a 160. As person that never had to study much, I was humbled and have since then been studying rigorously for about 3 months. I am averaging a 168 and occasionally hit the 170's. My goal is average in the Mid 170's.

First 6 weeks: I completed the PowerScore Trilogy and Manhattan Prep Trilogy. Over that time Span I took 1 PT a week and reviewed it. I used 7sage.com (free) to track my progress in scores over each section and test, as well as strengths and weakness.

Next 3 Weeks: Focused Heavily on my weak spot (LG). I picked up a copy of every LG from the first 20 tests and burned through all of them, making sure I spent time to review and look at video explanations on 7sage.com. Additionally I drilled and reviewed LR and RC sections as well as taking and reviewing 2 PT's.

Next 3 Weeks: I use Powerscores type training to drill my weak LR question types. I have a copy of all LG 21-40 and do sets of 4 as maintenance. I take and review 2-3 PT's a week.

Over the course of about 3 months I have taken about 30 PT''s. PM if you like something a bit more thorough.

I would like more information!

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:54 pm

1. Their cold diagnostic score - 146
2. Their final score- 169 (retaking in September)
3. How long they prepped for - exactly one year before I sat for my first take
4. What resources they used - Powerscore bibles, offical LSAT tests

I really took my time studying. I work fulltime, and the majority of studying was doing (along with reviewing) one section a day. However, I have done over 65 prep tests. In the beginning, I spent a lot of time with guide books like the powerscore bibles to learn the fundamentals, then moved onto drilling, and then started taking tests. I'm a huge believer in doing tests twice, and sometimes three times, in order to really understand them.

This is the best thread on the Internet btw - viewtopic.php?t=396

P.S. Your timeline for score breaks will be different than everyone's (and highly erratic; sometimes it comes out of the blue), but for me it took 4 months to break 160, and then three months after that I broke 170.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm

I'll preface this by saying that I am still in the process of prepping. I think I've truly gained some valuable experience being on TLS for so long and spending an inordinate amount of time searching for the perfect LSAT books, course, and strategies. That said, here is my advice based on my own 2.5-month journey from a 151 to a 164.

1. Their cold diagnostic score - 151 (June 2016)

2. Their final score - Not taking until I can confidently score in the 175+ range
However, I took a diagnostic last week finally broke into the 160s (164 BR: 168) ! So stoked to have broken into the 160s...

3. How long they prepped for - I started prepping in mid-June, but really got serious in July.
4. What resources they used - Powerscore, Manhattan PREP LSAT, LSAT Trainer, 7Sage, PTs 1-78, Cambridge Packets PTs 1-38.
I read some of each of the books, but 7Sage is what I give 90% of my credit for breaking into the 160s. JY's approach to games is just objectively better than anything out in my opinion. Also, the lessons on conditional logic/translation groups, valid and invalid argument forms and quantifiers helped my LR score immensely.

Damn dude! I could write a 20-page article on my improvement from the 150s to the 160s. However, I'll try to write some brief pointers.

Get 7sage. You won't regret it. I'm not paid by 7Sage, I just really fucking love it. Haven't used it for RC so I can't say how good it is for that, but for LG/LR.... good stuff.

1) I think the biggest advice I can give that is general (and feel free to PM me with more specific questions) is truly learning the boring ass fundamental basics. Yup. The first chapters of the book... The first lessons you THINK you know. Sure you know the conclusion indicators, but can you find the argument core quickly and accurately?

In short, spend a lot of time upfront learning the basics - it pays dividends. The rest is really just a matter of drilling and practicing. after a chapter or a lesson, drill questions of that type until you are good at them. I mean until you are missing 0. Don't move on until you find out why you are missing these questions. There is a reason you are missing them and it isn't the excuses we love to give ourselves after we see the answers; you've got to be honest with yourself. You didn't misread a word so much as you failed to understand the conditionality behind a harder MBT question. If you do not 100% understand a concept do not move forward until you do. You won't suddenly understand it by forging ahead. And if you eventually do it will come at the cost of wasting time, energy, and fresh LSAT questions; all of which are finite.

2) Do timed mixed-review drills

You can spend all the time in the world doing 20 N.A. questions. Eventually, you'll get them all right. You'll see your biggest improvements however from doing timed mixed review. Take a section from an earlier PT, set the clock to 35, and do it! Afterwards, blind review it (before YOU score it or your ego will get in your way) and then rinse and repeat. Implementing timing is important because ultimately you have to get good at taking this test, timed. Not get good at working through it at your leisure.

Hope these tips help a bit!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze

Postby TAD » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:48 pm

1. Their cold diagnostic score: 142 - 145

2. Their final score: 170

3. How long they prepped for: 10 months on and off with breaks during classes and exams. 6-8 hours a day 3 months before the exam

4. What resources they used: Princeton review course the first 2 months of studying; 2008 powerscore bibles (Cause im cheap and my TA said it worked for him) and Cambridge drill packets by question types the rest of the time

5. General strategies for improving that much: Postpone if you're not ready. Was only planning on studying 2-3 months till I realized that I wasn't gonna score near what I wanted to score and I really didn't want to retake. So I kept pushing it back. I would read a chapter in the bible on strengthen questions, then I would drill that question type all week and do a practice test trying only to get perfect on strengthen questions. If I got questions wrong on other types (i.e. flaws, assumptions). I would read that chapter on the bible, and drill only that type all week. First two months during my course I only did games 90% of the time and had perfected it half way through my study period so I only reviewed so I didn't forget. Reading comp I really can't help. It was my worse section and I just drilled and drilled and drilled and reviewed. Lost half my marks there on actual test day.

Lastly, I wrote on a piece of paper 180 and posted it on my wall in my room and it was the first thing I saw everyday for 10 months. Above it I wrote simple things to help whenever they came to my mind (e.g. don't rush, understand each sentence before you move on)

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Destiny0921 wrote:
SunDevil14 wrote:My initial few diagnostics were in the mid 150's. I tried to cram before my first Lsat attempt (about a month of serious study) and got a 160. As person that never had to study much, I was humbled and have since then been studying rigorously for about 3 months. I am averaging a 168 and occasionally hit the 170's. My goal is average in the Mid 170's.

Could you point me in a certain direction? I could type up a few pages of everything I did, and consider beneficial. Although, I am not sure you would find all of it useful.

Destiny0921

New

Postby Destiny0921 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:04 am

SunDevil14 wrote:
Destiny0921 wrote:

Could you point me in a certain direction? I could type up a few pages of everything I did, and consider beneficial. Although, I am not sure you would find all of it useful.

Hi! I was wondering if you could give me some insight on how you studied. I feel like I'm everywhere and seeing no progress what materials did u use, how often did you study etc.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:30 pm

Sent you a PM. Hope that helps

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�