Possible improvment in 1.5 weeks

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bond232518

New

Possible improvment in 1.5 weeks

Postby bond232518 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey guys I'm studying for the LSAT and about 1.5 weeks ago I took a practice exam and to my surprise I got a 169 (really wasnt expecting it as my previous practice exam score was a 162). Then I later took two more this week both when I wasnt feeling great (didnt sleep night before for one and came and did an exam after a full work day plus gym for the other) and I got 161 then 164

The thing is, is that the one I got 169 on was from 2005 and the 164 both of them were from 2011, I feel like the tests are a little bit different from 2005 and the more recent ones. Also before I was using a digital countdown (the online proctor for Powerscore), now Im using one of those LSAT watches with the online proctor is at a point where I cant see so I can only hear please start and 5 minutes left.

I feel that I need to just get more used to the more modern exams and feel as though I can definently get 10 more questions right (which would get me to 170 range).

My big question is that would it be possible to increase 6 points in 1.5 weeks when you feel that the issue isn't a lack of comprehension of the questions but more of a timing/getting used to a little more modern styles?

Thank You

Just as a quick guide, I usually get -3/-4/-5 on RC, and my LR and LG vary wildly between each other (I feel like if an exam has easier LG it has harder LR and vice versa)

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Possible improvment in 1.5 weeks

Postby Mikey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:29 pm

I don't know how much PTing a crap ton would do for you in this short amount of time if you still have a huge weakness in LR and LG. But since LG and LR are your problem, maybe try drilling sections and blind reviewing them very thoroughly.

Kopetz

Bronze

Postby Kopetz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:58 pm

have you identified what is different / throwing you off about newer exams? Some specific problem types are new (comparitive reading in RC appeared in 2007 iirc, and I think rule-replacement questions in LG are also newish) and might be a good choice for targeted practice

bond232518

New

Postby bond232518 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:03 pm

I feel like the variation in LR is just a little different than before, I got to a point where on the old exams I felt like "well ive seen this argument before" where as now Im encountering what seems like new types (or at least a little different) and I do end up pausing for a section.

Im also seeing more "method of reasoning" and "the following part plays what role" questions

Also as a sidenote I'm aiming for the 170s (170 also would be good) given that I have gotten a 169 before and currently at a 164
would you guys believe it is posssible?

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:17 pm

6 Points is a big stretch. The average improvement from actual exam to a retake is around 3 points. Rather than looking at your best score, look at the average for the past 5 tests or so. This is a more reliable indicator for the score you would likely get on test day. Furthermore, doing PT after PT will eventually just yield diminishing returns.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 pm

6 Points is a big stretch. The average improvement from actual exam to a retake is around 3 points. Rather than looking at your best score, look at the average for the past 5 tests or so. This is a more reliable indicator for the score you would likely get on test day. Furthermore, doing PT after PT will eventually just yield diminishing returns.

bond232518

New

Postby bond232518 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I just did a few LR problems, I think that since I got the 169 I for some reason havent been "attacking" the LR answer choices like before
having a "i hope this is right so I can get that score and more agaiN" rather than a "lets attack this answer choice and see why it will most likely be wrong"

spqr351

New

Postby spqr351 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Last edited by spqr351 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:57 pm

If you're not attacking the questions right that's a good place to start. Get out of your head- don't think about your score just focus on the Task at hand

Also, I hate to say it, but if you only got 169 once and the other test scores are all lower 160s, that's a big difference. There is always the possibility that the 169 was a statistical outlier and not indicative of your grasp of the material as a whole.

Just try to recreate the conditions that worked for you before in terms of timid keeping, get out of your head, and relax. Do the best you can and retake if necessary. You may just need a little more practice to reach that 170+ mark

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Look at your last few tests and make sure you actively study why you got certain questions wrong. What has really helped me was writing a short explanation (1 sentence or so) about why the right answer was right and why my answer was wrong, and actively reviewing errors that I tended to make. And make sure you're well-rested before you PT! It's really tempting to cram and put in tons of hours before the test but if you're exhausted and sleep deprived, that's not going to do you any favors.

bond232518

New

Postby bond232518 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:29 pm

"Look at your last few tests and make sure you actively study why you got certain questions wrong. What has really helped me was writing a short explanation (1 sentence or so) about why the right answer was right and why my answer was wrong, and actively reviewing errors that I tended to make."

Actually thats a great tip I wish I would have thought of that before.

Sadly with full time job rest is a bit tough, any tips on helpful foods?

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:59 pm

bond232518 wrote:"Look at your last few tests and make sure you actively study why you got certain questions wrong. What has really helped me was writing a short explanation (1 sentence or so) about why the right answer was right and why my answer was wrong, and actively reviewing errors that I tended to make."

Actually thats a great tip I wish I would have thought of that before.

Sadly with full time job rest is a bit tough, any tips on helpful foods?

I totally get it; I was also working full time with a 2-hour round trip commute when I took it.

Food-wise, there's no magic diet to increase your score, unfortunately. My strategy during the test was to be as balanced as possible without overly restricting myself. So if I was majorly craving pizza for lunch, I had pizza for lunch but had a salad or vegetables for dinner. For the next week and a half, just make sure you don't fall into any unhealthy habits that could make you sick (which is another reason why you should do your best to get as much rest as possible - sleep deprivation can compromise your immune system, and the last thing you want to happen is to get sick right before the test). Trying to fit in an extra hour or two of cramming at the expense of your health is not worth it, and it will hurt you more than not studying "enough."

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:01 pm

ashrice13 wrote:If you're not attacking the questions right that's a good place to start. Get out of your head- don't think about your score just focus on the Task at hand

Also, I hate to say it, but if you only got 169 once and the other test scores are all lower 160s, that's a big difference. There is always the possibility that the 169 was a statistical outlier and not indicative of your grasp of the material as a whole.

Just try to recreate the conditions that worked for you before in terms of timid keeping, get out of your head, and relax. Do the best you can and retake if necessary. You may just need a little more practice to reach that 170+ mark

In the spirit of constructive criticism I agree. Ideally your average score should be a few points above what you would be happy getting on the actual exam. If you are getting 169's on the next several test you take, and are happy with a score of 167-168 then I'd take a shot. It's possible that you could be having an "ah ha" moment and things and really starting to click.

bond232518

New

Postby bond232518 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 pm

I know this doesnt quite count, but did timed indiviual LR sections and did decently well on both (-2 on one -3 on the other, with dumb reading mistakes costing me -2 and finsihing before time), this compared to the practice exams where I kind of was flipping out thinking "come on you were so close before you should be nailing this all". Getting back to focusing on just one on one with the question and not freaking out about the clock seemed to get me through it.

THis is compared to when I wrote this post earlier in the morning and was getting so many wrong without any real timing.

Not saying my issue is fixed but it helps to talk it out, I think this forum can be quite helpful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�