170s to 180, advice much appreciated

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
quigleyest

New

170s to 180, advice much appreciated

Postby quigleyest » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Last edited by quigleyest on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Re: 170s to 180, advice much appreciated

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Seems like you're currently focusing on sections. Are they timed?

I would suggest you track which question types in the sections are giving you the most trouble, and drill tf out of those.

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 pm

I went from high 160's to 180 over the summer. Took non stop LG and RC drilling, plus tons of full tests.

peachyjade

New

Postby peachyjade » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:42 am

SweetTort wrote:I went from high 160's to 180 over the summer. Took non stop LG and RC drilling, plus tons of full tests.

Wow congratulations! Would you mind sharing a bit on how frequently you did drilling and full tests? Did you take any days off?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am

peachyjade wrote:
SweetTort wrote:I went from high 160's to 180 over the summer. Took non stop LG and RC drilling, plus tons of full tests.

Wow congratulations! Would you mind sharing a bit on how frequently you did drilling and full tests? Did you take any days off?

For about a month I drilled every day for 2-3 hours. Then I started PTing about twice a week, drilling the other days. I took time off when I felt burnt out.

equang

New

Postby equang » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:08 pm

SweetTort wrote:
peachyjade wrote:

For about a month I drilled every day for 2-3 hours. Then I started PTing about twice a week, drilling the other days. I took time off when I felt burnt out.

Can you describe your drilling technique? Do you mean sections or questions by type? Did you just drill everything indiscriminately?

Gold

Postby 20170322 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:31 pm

equang wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
peachyjade wrote:

Can you describe your drilling technique? Do you mean sections or questions by type? Did you just drill everything indiscriminately?

I did LG sections, 4 or 5 games per, then proofed. Then did it again. And again. And again.

Don't go crazy with subsections. Like, study LR by section not by Q type.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 pm

SweetTort wrote:
peachyjade wrote:

I scored a 169 in June, and started using this exact same same approach this summer. Hopefully this is the magic sauce haha

Edit - with that said, doing this approach combined with redoing lots of problems has vastly improved my understanding of the test. I definitely recommend it over the plug and chug PT approach

peachyjade

New

Postby peachyjade » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:12 pm

SweetTort wrote:
equang wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
peachyjade wrote:

I did LG sections, 4 or 5 games per, then proofed. Then did it again. And again. And again.

Can you elaborate on why? I feel like most people would say drill by Q type (the approach I am current using). Were you pretty balanced with different LR types though? Like no significant weak categories?

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 pm

peachyjade wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
equang wrote:
SweetTort wrote:
peachyjade wrote:

Can you elaborate on why? I feel like most people would say drill by Q type (the approach I am current using). Were you pretty balanced with different LR types though? Like no significant weak categories?

^This (LR). Although I tend to agree with this approach on the games. Single games untimed, Single games timed, groups of 4 Games timed, (groups of 5 of you get real good). Games used to be my worst section, sometimes I'd get minus 7, 8, 9. Now I can do them in my sleep and am a bit disappointed with anything less than -0. (Took about 6-8 weeks though).

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:49 pm

I think if there are specific question types one is missing, then that approach is good for LR. However, if you're just missing the hardest problems, then it's better to focus on drilling the hardest problems. It's all contextual.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:09 am

RamTitan wrote:I think if there are specific question types one is missing, then that approach is good for LR. However, if you're just missing the hardest problems, then it's better to focus on drilling the hardest problems. It's all contextual.

Makes Sense. So in regards to the hardest problems, would you just do them individually or do complete sections and allocate a lot of time to reviewing the most difficult questions.

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:35 pm

SunDevil14 wrote:
RamTitan wrote:I think if there are specific question types one is missing, then that approach is good for LR. However, if you're just missing the hardest problems, then it's better to focus on drilling the hardest problems. It's all contextual.

Makes Sense. So in regards to the hardest problems, would you just do them individually or do complete sections and allocate a lot of time to reviewing the most difficult questions.

I've been doing 11-25/26 for every section the past couple of months. I'm seeing improvements. Definitely spend a lot of time reviewing missed problems

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Makes sense the first 10 tend to be easy points, and even the low teens are often not incredibly difficult.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�