RC question - how to deal with preconceived notion

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lumberjack23

New

RC question - how to deal with preconceived notion

Postby lumberjack23 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:18 pm

I have a very general question prompted by Question 3 from PT 66 section 1. In the article, the author mentioned the idea of printing books at points of sale, i.e. retailer stores, and I chose C, but apparently this new printing method is considered to wreck the retail business instead of revolutionizing it, probably because the distribution and other traditional retail practices will be phased out.

But how do you tell whether the new printing method is not part of the new book retail business? After looking up on wikipedia, I found the definition of retail:"Retail involves the process of selling consumer goods or services to customers through multiple channels of distribution to earn a profit". This is not far off what I thought and I went into Question 3 thinking that the "books in print" method sells this service to retail stores and as a result "revitalizes" it.

TBH i am still not convinced about this question but I guess a more important question is, how do you deal with preconceived notion in RC? Is it just a matter of being well-read? Can I even do anything to improve in time before the coming test? Thx

Instrumental

Silver

Re: RC question - how to deal with preconceived notion

Postby Instrumental » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 pm

lumberjack23 wrote:I have a very general question prompted by Question 3 from PT 66 section 1. In the article, the author mentioned the idea of printing books at points of sale, i.e. retailer stores, and I chose C, but apparently this new printing method is considered to wreck the retail business instead of revolutionizing it, probably because the distribution and other traditional retail practices will be phased out.

But how do you tell whether the new printing method is not part of the new book retail business? After looking up on wikipedia, I found the definition of retail:"Retail involves the process of selling consumer goods or services to customers through multiple channels of distribution to earn a profit". This is not far off what I thought and I went into Question 3 thinking that the "books in print" method sells this service to retail stores and as a result "revitalizes" it.

TBH i am still not convinced about this question but I guess a more important question is, how do you deal with preconceived notion in RC? Is it just a matter of being well-read? Can I even do anything to improve in time before the coming test? Thx

I think you may be mixing up "retail business" with the "traditional method of publishing." The passage doesn't make any mention of how retail business will grow or shrink or whether it needs to be or will be revitalized. The author does not say the new printing method is going to wreck the retail business, the author says the new printing method is going to "supplant or at least rival traditional publishing." Between that and the end where the author says that "traditional publishers will have to reduce their redundant functions [traditional publishing methods] in order to accommodate higher royalty payments to authors" and it suggests he believes that answer choice A is the case

tskela

Bronze

Postby tskela » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 pm

"revitalize" means to bring new life to something. Nowhere in the passage does it say the book retail business is dead or dying currently, just that some people believe printed books may be displaced in the future

lumberjack23

New

Postby lumberjack23 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Instrumental wrote:
lumberjack23 wrote:I have a very general question prompted by Question 3 from PT 66 section 1. In the article, the author mentioned the idea of printing books at points of sale, i.e. retailer stores, and I chose C, but apparently this new printing method is considered to wreck the retail business instead of revolutionizing it, probably because the distribution and other traditional retail practices will be phased out.

I think you may be mixing up "retail business" with the "traditional method of publishing." The passage doesn't make any mention of how retail business will grow or shrink or whether it needs to be or will be revitalized. The author does not say the new printing method is going to wreck the retail business, the author says the new printing method is going to "supplant or at least rival traditional publishing." Between that and the end where the author says that "traditional publishers will have to reduce their redundant functions [traditional publishing methods] in order to accommodate higher royalty payments to authors" and it suggests he believes that answer choice A is the case

Ahh, I somehow thought the answer choice was saying retail book business, so there is a shift of scope in this answer choice. My faith in LSAT just got restored.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�