Beyond pissed about the cell phone rule...

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
floatie

Silver

Beyond pissed about the cell phone rule...

Postby floatie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:32 am

I live in a not-super-safe big city where my options to get to my testing center are either taxi, uber, or the subway. Since I can't drive myself, and according to LSAC there's no guaranteed place to store our stuff, I'm going to have to leave my phone at home (which knocks out uber) and find a way to feel safe while traveling to/from the testing site without a cell phone. I get not having a phone with you in the testing room, but can you really not leave your phone at the desk or somewhere else? That just blows my mind.

For comparison, a few years ago I took the MCAT, which is a LOT more stringent when it comes to security. As in, every single time you leave the testing room or enter/re-enter the testing room, they will take your fingerprints and use a metal detector on you. And even then, you were allowed to leave your personal belongings in a cubby that the proctor locked up for you and kept the key.

Has anyone else had an issue with the no cell phone rule, or am I overreacting?

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: Beyond pissed about the cell phone rule...

Postby t-14orbust » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:48 am

If you go through the process without your cell phone it'll make for a great "overcoming adversity" style personal statement

Shemp

Bronze

Postby Shemp » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:16 am

get a burner and keister it

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:23 am

floatie wrote:I live in a not-super-safe big city where my options to get to my testing center are either taxi, uber, or the subway. Since I can't drive myself, and according to LSAC there's no guaranteed place to store our stuff, I'm going to have to leave my phone at home (which knocks out uber) and find a way to feel safe while traveling to/from the testing site without a cell phone. I get not having a phone with you in the testing room, but can you really not leave your phone at the desk or somewhere else? That just blows my mind.

For comparison, a few years ago I took the MCAT, which is a LOT more stringent when it comes to security. As in, every single time you leave the testing room or enter/re-enter the testing room, they will take your fingerprints and use a metal detector on you. And even then, you were allowed to leave your personal belongings in a cubby that the proctor locked up for you and kept the key.

Can't you just order an uber from your house and flag a taxi after the exam? Are you worried that something will happen to you in the cab?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am

Relax.. It sucks but there's nothing you can do about it lol. I traveled a long way on the subway when I took in June here in nyc. I survived, it's not that bad, I promise.

Take the subway since that's an option or just ask someone to borrow their phone after the test on the street and call a cab.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:30 am

Sounds like taxi and subway are both options. And some people speculate that those methods of transportation predate cell phones.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 am

wait until this guy finds out about the bar exam rules

bretby

Bronze

Postby bretby » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:45 am

floatie wrote:I live in a not-super-safe big city where my options to get to my testing center are either taxi, uber, or the subway. Since I can't drive myself, and according to LSAC there's no guaranteed place to store our stuff, I'm going to have to leave my phone at home (which knocks out uber) and find a way to feel safe while traveling to/from the testing site without a cell phone. I get not having a phone with you in the testing room, but can you really not leave your phone at the desk or somewhere else? That just blows my mind.

What city do you live in? Curious because the ability to get cabs, etc., varies wildly city to city.

LeDique

Diamond

Postby LeDique » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:02 am

You know how everyone says they will never forget 9/11? Well, someone of us really mean it. I'll never forget the powerless I felt as I attempted to navigate Atlanta, Georgia on 9/11…without a cell phone. I was at work with the planes hit and I couldn't stomach the idea of my teacup pig, William, facing the terror alone.

I rushed out of my office onto the street to make it home to William. As I stood on the street, I realized my options to get home were taxi or subway…but I had left my Nokia 3310 sitting on my desk on the eighth floor. And were you going back up a building on 9/11? Fucking retard, I wasn't.

Panic began to set in. Were they still moving africans rapidly through atlanta like they had been 2 hours ago? Could I use the same subway stop I used every day? Not without my Nokia 3310 in my pocket. I began to consider hailing a cab instead. I immediately ruled it out. What would I do if William tried to call while I was in the cab though? I was hopeless. My options were foreclosed.

There, on the streets of Atlanta, I collapsed just like the towers had eighteen minutes prior — without an obviously apparent cause

nunumaster

Silver

Postby nunumaster » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 am

LeDique wrote:You know how everyone says they will never forget 9/11? Well, someone of us really mean it. I'll never forget the powerless I felt as I attempted to navigate Atlanta, Georgia on 9/11…without a cell phone. I was at work with the planes hit and I couldn't stomach the idea of my teacup pig, William, facing the terror alone.

I rushed out of my office onto the street to make it home to William. As I stood on the street, I realized my options to get home were taxi or subway…but I had left my Nokia 3310 sitting on my desk on the eighth floor. And were you going back up a building on 9/11? Fucking retard, I wasn't.

Panic began to set in. Were they still moving africans rapidly through atlanta like they had been 2 hours ago? Could I use the same subway stop I used every day? Not without my Nokia 3310 in my pocket. I began to consider hailing a cab instead. I immediately ruled it out. What would I do if William tried to call while I was in the cab though? I was hopeless. My options were foreclosed.

There, on the streets of Atlanta, I collapsed just like the towers had eighteen minutes prior — without an obviously apparent cause

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:57 pm

nunumaster wrote:
LeDique wrote:You know how everyone says they will never forget 9/11? Well, someone of us really mean it. I'll never forget the powerless I felt as I attempted to navigate Atlanta, Georgia on 9/11…without a cell phone. I was at work with the planes hit and I couldn't stomach the idea of my teacup pig, William, facing the terror alone.

As someone who was in NYC and lost a parent on 9/11, I am very aware that not being able to have a cell phone isn't a catastrophe by any means, and I know I can be a responsible adult and get myself to and from the testing center without one. Doesn't mean it's not frustrating and a wholly unnecessary policy.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Your very first question was "am I overreacting?" Yes, you are.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:58 pm

nunumaster wrote:

Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:59 pm

floatie wrote:
nunumaster wrote:

As someone who was in NYC and lost a parent on 9/11, I am very aware that not being able to have a cell phone isn't a catastrophe by any means, and I know I can be a responsible adult and get myself to and from the testing center without one. Doesn't mean it's not frustrating and a wholly unnecessary policy.

You're also overreacting to Dique's joke post by bringing dead parents into it.

ETA: Rudy Giuliani post
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:03 pm

You live in Newark or something?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Shemp wrote:get a burner and keister it

This ^

But yeah-- it does suck in a sense. Im more disappointed that I can't listen to music on my way there (to get hyped) than actually worrying about needing a cellphone. If you are just concerned that you may need to use it, then I would say you are overreacting and its not a big deal. You'll figure it out mate
Last edited by Rupert Pupkin on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 pm

I turned my phone off and then just never pulled it out of my pocket anywhere near the testing location. They don't search.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Having taken MCAT as well, it certainly seemed a bit archaic. Still, the proctors were sympathetic and just let me hand over my cell phone to her for the duration of the exam. I had about 6 or 7 people ask to use my phone that day.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:38 pm

Get a water proof phone case, or if you are cheap like me, a plastic bag. Put your cell phone in the case or bag (if bag seal extra tight). Use the bathroom before the test, but make sure nobody sees you enter. Go into the second stall, open the back of the toilet, and place the cell phone (still in a case/bag) in there. If the toilet doesn't have a back, don't worry, you'll know what to do.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:21 pm

poptart123 wrote:Get a water proof phone case, or if you are cheap like me, a plastic bag. Put your cell phone in the case or bag (if bag seal extra tight). Use the bathroom before the test, but make sure nobody sees you enter. Go into the second stall, open the back of the toilet, and place the cell phone (still in a case/bag) in there. If the toilet doesn't have a back, don't worry, you'll know what to do.

Lmfaoooo

Honestly, some people in my test center had their phone and whipped it out at the end of the test as they left. Like, if someone takes their phone, are proctors really going to pat someone down? Hells naw. I feel like some people over exaggerate the whole no cellphone thing. So OP either follow the rules or risk getting caught with it. But it would be distracting to have to deal with the possibility of getting caught with it so just call a cab from someone else's phone or stick you arm out and get one. Oh, or the subway.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Your very first question was "am I overreacting?" Yes, you are.

Nony, I love you. <3
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

Silver

Postby Voyager » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:39 pm

I forgot about the Bar Exam cell phone rule just as I was arriving at the Javitz Center so I hid it in a pew at the church up the street.

Then my computer crashed and I had to hand write the entire 2 day thing. Essays were a BLAST.

Fun times...

Anyway, I doubt the LSAT proctors will strip search you.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:55 pm

poptart123 wrote:Get a water proof phone case, or if you are cheap like me, a plastic bag. Put your cell phone in the case or bag (if bag seal extra tight). Use the bathroom before the test, but make sure nobody sees you enter. Go into the second stall, open the back of the toilet, and place the cell phone (still in a case/bag) in there. If the toilet doesn't have a back, don't worry, you'll know what to do.

LMFAO !!! "If the toilet doesn't have a back, don't worry, you'll know what to do" Hey that is def full-proof

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?