Logic Games improvement...anyone?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PresidentIJohnson

New

Logic Games improvement...anyone?

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:19 am

So, I have been struggling with about 60% of my Logic Game drills as of late. I started Lsat_blog's 5 month schedule about 5 days ago, and finished reading most of the LGB yesterday. The LGB helped me pretty well, but I still feel overwhelmed with most of the LG I have drilled. I was wondering if any of y'all knew of a successful source, study technique, or trick that made LG questions easier or more understandable to you?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Logic Games improvement...anyone?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:So, I have been struggling with about 60% of my Logic Game drills as of late. I started Lsat_blog's 5 month schedule about 5 days ago, and finished reading most of the LGB yesterday. The LGB helped me pretty well, but I still feel overwhelmed with most of the LG I have drilled. I was wondering if any of y'all knew of a successful source, study technique, or trick that made LG questions easier or more understandable to you?

7Sage is what I always recommend for logic games. Even if you just watch the free explanations, it is worth it. I think it is worth getting the starter course (which includes the entire curriculum) just for the LG section alone. Plus, I think it is really good all around.

The secret to logic games is repetition which leads to pattern recognition. People used to tell me that on here (Shout out Protein Shake, Mikey, SweetTort) and I felt like "There is no way they understand just how hard this shit is for me"

I did the Powerscore LGB and got me to not be completely lost with games. And I learned to do simple sequencing games. But grouping just wasn't coming to me and I was painfully slow. And furthermore, I felt like LGB taught me how to diagram, but not good and efficient ways to attack and solve the problems. The bibles don't teach you how to use the work you have already done to help solve problems.... That is a big weakness imo.

So then I finally got 7Sage (This was in July, about 3 weeks to a month after I began studying) Within a few weeks of doing 7Sage's fool-proof method and watching the lessons, I felt like a pro at games. And now it is kind of my favorite section because I know that I can solve just about anything they throw at me.

So yeah, try out 7Sage and use the foolproof method to a perfect score on games. https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect- ... gic-games/
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maybeman

Bronze

Postby maybeman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:43 am

I'm no LG master, but here are some tips off the top of my head that keep me consistent. Different things work for different people, of course. Always keep an eye out for a rule that allows you to split a gameboard. Make sure to chain up conditional rules if the game creates that possibility. Read the rules twice. Never go into the questions without a clear picture of what the game looks like (e.g., game type, orientation of what's being discussed, etc.). HTH

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:The secret to logic games is repetition which leads to pattern recognition. People used to tell me that on here (Shout out Protein Shake, Mikey, SweetTort) and I felt like "There is no way they understand just how hard this shit is for me"

:D over here getting shout outs,oh shiiii.

OP, use 7sage. Just like Barack said, repetition is the key to games. There's no "trick" to make the games easier. Just do a bunch of games and do the same games over and over. i also recommend getting one of 7age's courses but even if you don't, their lg video explanations are one of the best tools for lg. They're just video explanations for each game, yes, but to be real with you, many people have learned (including myself) how to do games just by watching explanation vids for individual games.

Last tips:
Practice identifying restrictive rules, because of a game has very restrictive rules, you can sometimes draw out all possibilities before you head into the questions. If a game DOES NOT have restrictive rules and it seems like there could be tons of possibile worlds, make inferences quickly and then go into the questions and do the questions that start with "If" first. Doing those will allow you to get enough work on the page so that the MBT/MBF/CBT questions have answer choices that you can quickly eliminate instead of wasting time on. Oh, also, you probably already know this but if there's a first question "acceptable situation question", as you're writing your rules down, eliminate an answer choice ( sometimes there are even two) based on the rule you write down. This saves a little time.

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:26 am

I third 7Sage.

For me, LGB was not inadequate, as I hardly ever use not-laws.
I just scrapped the entire approach for J.Y.'s;
he made sequencing games much easier, made in/out and grouping games comprehensible, and LG as a whole doable.

Had I never come across 7Sage, I never would've thought to "split game boards" and instead stick with PowerScore's primitive N/_ _ _ /N.
Cutting the "master game board" into the two "worlds" N _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ N makes much more sense, imo; visually, at least.

TLDR; keep attacking games, watch corresponding 7Sage videos, and continue the same games until you reach perfection.

RZ5646

Gold

Postby RZ5646 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Idk if you can still get the Cambridge packets, but those were an amazing resource for me. Games from the first 30 tests organized by type and ordered by difficulty. Go through them all 2-3 times with a stopwatch to practice and identify problem areas.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:44 pm

TheMikey wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:The secret to logic games is repetition which leads to pattern recognition. People used to tell me that on here (Shout out Protein Shake, Mikey, SweetTort) and I felt like "There is no way they understand just how hard this shit is for me"

:D over here getting shout outs,oh shiiii.

LMAO!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Postby PresidentIJohnson » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Thank y'all everyone! I feel as though the unanimous decision is to look into 7sage, so I will look into investing into at least the starter pack. I will watch the free explanation videos as well. I'm on the same page as most of y'all regarding LGB; it works in teaching the basics, but doesn't go in depth enough into actually attacking the games. Regardless, thank you again for the help!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm

PresidentIJohnson wrote:Thank y'all everyone! I feel as though the unanimous decision is to look into 7sage, so I will look into investing into at least the starter pack. I will watch the free explanation videos as well. I'm on the same page as most of y'all regarding LGB; it works in teaching the basics, but doesn't go in depth enough into actually attacking the games. Regardless, thank you again for the help!

7sage is a huge help for LG. If you watch enough video explanations and do games on your own, you'll learn the way they write down rules, do inferences, decide to split the game boards, etc. without really even going through the LGB or any other book. I know a few people who have learned by just watching their LG vids (myself included, as I said before). But if you get the starter pack, you'll get the actual lessons of how to do LG and their LR explanations/lessons are very helpful as well.

good luck OP!

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm

I use the 7Sage videos when reviewing my Logic Games (available on Youtube as well). Before I worked on my timing, I worked on actually understanding the types of games. I started exposing myself to Logic Games about a year ago by reading the LG book from Manhattan Prep. I remember taking my first diagnostic and thinking that it was the hardest thing in the world. Now, I do logic games for fun. Practice makes perfect... I think it is also the easiest section to improve.

peachyjade

New

Postby peachyjade » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 am

7Sage videos and 7Sage Question Bank, both are free.

LGB was good to get myself exposed. But I found their grouping categories too confusing and hard to apply, and reading the explanation of a game is just not effective for me as a general review strategy. I started LGB in March but by June I could barely finish the entire section. That's when I discovered 7Ssage videos and drilled a bunch by category. I started using the Fool Proof Method full-force around mid August, when I lost 5 points on a PT. I am almost through all the pre-20 games and lost one point in the LG section in my last PT, and it was a bubbling mistake. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�