RC Difficulty Increase?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TakeItToTrial

Bronze

RC Difficulty Increase?

Postby TakeItToTrial » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:42 pm

I've heard RC passages became significantly more difficult at some point in recent LSAT history. Is this true? I have a passages dating back to the early 90's in my prep book, and I would prefer to be drilling ones that are similar in difficulty to what I will see on test day. Does anyone know what year RC difficulty was increased, if at all?

proteinshake

Gold

Re: RC Difficulty Increase?

Postby proteinshake » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 pm

no. what you're hearing is typical TLS overreaction. you'll likely hear that weird games are also more common because there was one in a very recent LSAT administration (don't wanna spoil which one), even though Miscellaneous games probably pop up at the same rate as the pre-70 PTs. If RC is harder, it's certainly not significant. and when people say it's harder, they are referring to the 70+ PTs (to answer your last question).

edit: RC is definitely harder in general when you're comparing modern 50+ PTs, to say, PT 20-40. but what you're hearing is likely that it got harder after PT 70, which I don't think is true to the extent people claim.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:01 pm

proteinshake wrote:no. what you're hearing is typical TLS overreaction. you'll likely hear that weird games are also more common because there was one in a very recent LSAT administration (don't wanna spoil which one), even though Miscellaneous games probably pop up at the same rate as the pre-70 PTs. If RC is harder, it's certainly not significant. and when people say it's harder, they are referring to the 70+ PTs (to answer your last question).

edit: RC is definitely harder in general when you're comparing modern 50+ PTs, to say, PT 20-40. but what you're hearing is likely that it got harder after PT 70, which I don't think is true to the extent people claim.

Okay, thanks. How do PT numbers (50, 70, etc) correspond to year administered? The tests I have don't list numbers, only dates.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:
proteinshake wrote:no. what you're hearing is typical TLS overreaction. you'll likely hear that weird games are also more common because there was one in a very recent LSAT administration (don't wanna spoil which one), even though Miscellaneous games probably pop up at the same rate as the pre-70 PTs. If RC is harder, it's certainly not significant. and when people say it's harder, they are referring to the 70+ PTs (to answer your last question).

Okay, thanks. How do PT numbers (50, 70, etc) correspond to year administered? The tests I have don't list numbers, only dates.

PT 40 = June 2003 PT 50= Sept 2006, PT60 = June 2010, PT 70 = Oct 2013 --> For a gauge of era

e: this link will tell you what the PT # and corresponding year is.. if you don't have the numbers: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/pub_ident.cfm

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:14 am

jagerbom79 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:

PT 40 = June 2003 PT 50= Sept 2006, PT60 = June 2010, PT 70 = Oct 2013 --> For a gauge of era

e: this link will tell you what the PT # and corresponding year is.. if you don't have the numbers: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/pub_ident.cfm

Thank you!

SlippinJimmy

New

Postby SlippinJimmy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:49 am

Maybe. But anecdotally, they sure feel harder to many of us that have seen all these tests.

GeraldYoung

New

Postby GeraldYoung » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:51 am

SlippinJimmy wrote:

edit: RC is definitely harder in general the Andropenis from https://revolutionaryoptimists.org/andr ... ew-results when you're comparing modern 50+ PTs, to say, PT 20-40. but what you're hearing is likely that it got harder after PT 70, which I don't think is true to the extent people claim.

Maybe. But anecdotally, they sure feel harder to many of us that have seen all these tests.

I'd say they are more difficult as people generally know more now so they need to adjust and make the tests harder.
Last edited by GeraldYoung on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

SunDevil14

Bronze

Postby SunDevil14 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:12 pm

I feel that the more modern sections are bit more difficult, although may just be personal opinion.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�